Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012
Max Hax

blistovmhz is on a distinguished road
32' Trimaran - $22k

Trimaran 32' (1983) Sailboat: R. Harris Design

The owner has provided a 3 year old survey. Between talking to him, looking through pictures and the survey, boat seems to be in good condition. It's a bit lean on amenities for sure (no hot water, heater, or shore power) but overall seems like a solid boat.

I'm looking for something for liveaboard as well as cruising (possible blue water some day).
Thoughts/opinions on this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2012

Tanley is on a distinguished road
Re: 32' Trimaran - $22k

Nice boat. Not sure what type of sailing you like, but $22K in this market can get you into an entirely different category of live aboard comfort if you move away from multi-hulls. Not just up front cost, but long term maintenance and dockage/mooring fees.
Old 07-12-2012

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road

Hope you get a discount for the purple canvas!
Old 07-13-2012
Max Hax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
Nice boat. Not sure what type of sailing you like, but $22K in this market can get you into an entirely different category of live aboard comfort if you move away from multi-hulls. Not just up front cost, but long term maintenance and dockage/mooring fees.
WHERE?! Everyone seems very polar on the price. $22k according to most people is insanely (suspiciously) cheap while others, like yourself, suggest this should get me something pretty decent.

All I really know at this point is that I have myself and two cats, possibly a girl and two more cats, very little in terms of personal possessions, and about $25k I can use to buy something outright. I can also pull a line of credit if necessary.
Moorage sucks here. Can be had for fairly cheap but liveaboards are generally not welcome, especially with cats.
I know I should be buying the smallest boat I can actually live in, as this translates into less maintenance and easier singlehand.

I haven't found a lot for under $30k in my area. A bunch in the $10k range pop up but they're all extremely sketchy.
The best deal I've found thus far on a boat that seemed to be in safe condition was $12.5 for a Buchan 37. It was just too small and poorly laid out for me.
What would you suggest looking for?
Old 07-13-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I love multihulls. I love cold moulded boats. At least once a month i have to be talked out of pulling the trigger on buying a neglected tri while slowly building a livable small cat. But there are limitations, for example...

Good luck doing dishes in that sink. to enlarge the sink means reworking the entire galley, to rework the entire galley means reworking the saloon... It looks to be an acceptable weekender but hard to live aboard.

Try this, for less:
36' Refurbished Columbia - Delta/Surrey/Langley Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Delta/Surrey/Langley Canada.

or this for slightly more...

S2 9.2 Centre Cockpit Sailboat - Greater Vancouver Area Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Greater Vancouver Area Canada.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

That is a very good deal for a round bilged trimaran, even a wood one. Is it a folder? If so finding a slip should be no more expensive than for a monohull.

Just realize that a 32' trimaran has about the same amount of interior space as a significantly smaller monohull. For purely living aboard, a much bigger monohull can be bought for that amount of money. However if you are a sailor, it is hard to beat a proper trimaran. You can hang out on the decks/tramps in comfort (in good weather), there's no heeling, and you get where you are going VERY fast. All the advantatges of shallow draft apply as well.

So if you plan on actually cruising and sailing places, it looks like a great deal (get another survey though because wood rots, esp in the bilges). For purely living aboard, esp in winter, a bigger monohull would have its obvious advantages however.
Jgbrown likes this.
Old 07-13-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I love multihulls. I love cold moulded boats. At least once a month i have to be talked out of pulling the trigger on buying a neglected tri while slowly building a livable small cat.
What are you building?
Old 07-13-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

A 25' long 13' wide "couple's cat,"- sails 8, eats six, sleeps two. Basically we have taken what we love about Whiskeyjack and Legacy, our two boats added what we wished we had, packaged it in a package that will still fit Dock Six, and a format that a moron like me could successfully build.
Dock Six Chronicles: Tying Up Loose Ends, Volume Three: Report from the Skunkworks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 07-13-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2012
Max Hax

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
That is a very good deal for a round bilged trimaran, even a wood one. Is it a folder? If so finding a slip should be no more expensive than for a monohull.

Just realize that a 32' trimaran has about the same amount of interior space as a significantly smaller monohull. For purely living aboard, a much bigger monohull can be bought for that amount of money. However if you are a sailor, it is hard to beat a proper trimaran. You can hang out on the decks/tramps in comfort (in good weather), there's no heeling, and you get where you are going VERY fast. All the advantatges of shallow draft apply as well.

So if you plan on actually cruising and sailing places, it looks like a great deal (get another survey though because wood rots, esp in the bilges). For purely living aboard, esp in winter, a bigger monohull would have its obvious advantages however.
And I pose the same question to you Where do you find a bigger tri for this price? At this point I'm seriously considering buying out of country. Prices are good here, but there are very few tri's available for under $200k.
Old 07-13-2012
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road

Is this a wooden boat? The description talks about foam core and epoxy, didn't notice the wood part. Interior does have quite a bit of wood - but that's another story entirely.

If it wasn't that far - I'd buy it today, sight-unseen, at that price. Only the thought of having to then ship it all the way across the continent is stopping me from doing so

Not as a liveaboard though (but then again, I wouldn't live on a 40' boat either - more importantly, if you live on a boat, chances of sailing diminish - and then why would you need a multihull? )
peterchech likes this.