SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   12 volt stores you trust (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/89698-12-volt-stores-you-trust.html)

deniseO30 07-14-2012 08:05 PM

12 volt stores you trust

In another thread we pretty much established that Most of us won't find 12 volt appliances in big box stores. As much as I hate it, I'm going to have to buy a TV DVD online.

A number of links come up of course. Who has had good luck and good customer service with electronics bought online? Amazon.com is the only one I've used and trust. but that was for only for books.

SEMIJim 07-14-2012 08:12 PM

Re: 12 volt stores you trust

The Admiral and I have bought all manner of things via Amazon and they've never disappointed.

Jim

Leocat66 07-14-2012 08:25 PM

We have, in the past, used 12 volt items with success, but now use an inverters instead. We have three on board. One very small one, for charging batteries etc., one which we use for a microwave, sanders, soldering irons, TV and DVD, and a large one which runs our air compressor. I am not sure of the difference in battery consumption between the 12 volt appliances and the ones using 110 off of an inverter, and chose this route as it seems much simpler, especially if a replacement is needed while in an out of the way place. I do recall the difficulties encountered in finding those items and cannot recall a consistent source for them. We have had 12V blenders, coffee makers and the like. As I recall they also seemed slower than their 110 counterparts.

PaulinVictoria 07-14-2012 09:03 PM

Try places that truckers buy these sort of things.

chuck53 07-14-2012 11:42 PM

Have you tried any of the larger RV dealers in your area? Or as said above, a small 500 watt inverter will take care of a TV/DVD combo. That's what I use on my boat to power the TV when away from the dock. I just plug mine into an adaptor that just happens to be a few inches away from the TV. Works great.

transmitterdan 07-14-2012 11:53 PM

Denise,

Many big box store TV/DVD combo units will work on 12VDC even though they don't say it up front. Many units use a "wall wart" transformer and these will work on 12V if you don't use the transformer. If you have a local store you could do some research there and find if any that you like use a wall wart. Check the voltage on the wall wart itself. It it says that it puts out 12-13V then you are in business. Some that work on 16V will also work on 12V just as well.

night0wl 07-15-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transmitterdan (Post 896446)
Denise,

Many big box store TV/DVD combo units will work on 12VDC even though they don't say it up front. Many units use a "wall wart" transformer and these will work on 12V if you don't use the transformer. If you have a local store you could do some research there and find if any that you like use a wall wart. Check the voltage on the wall wart itself. It it says that it puts out 12-13V then you are in business. Some that work on 16V will also work on 12V just as well.

One thing to watch out for with these wall-wart appliances is that they tend to be *VERY* sensitive to over-voltage as well as voltage drops. Best to put a dc-dc converter in front of them to ensure that you dont fry them when the alternator is on and you power up the TV...

SEMIJim 07-15-2012 12:24 AM

The problem with inverters is the energy loss hit the inversion process incurs: About 15% on average. Less at higher loads, more at lower.

Jim

JimMcGee 07-15-2012 12:50 AM

Denise,
We got our TV/DVD at the Bordentown Junction Truck Stop at 206 & the Jersey Turnpike.

19" 720p, 12v with a DVD player. I think we're on year three with it and it's going strong. It's got a surprisingly good picture.

Mounted it on a tilt/swivel mount from Bestbuy throughbolted with fender washers and nylocks on on the backside. The brand is SuperSonic, but I've seen the same TV with a different names in RV & Marine stores.

We also got a 12v wet/dry vac that does OK for small jobs. They have a lot of 12v gadgets. We also hit the truck stop on 295 down near Paulsboro. Same 12v gadgets but we picked up some good stuff for patching up diesels enough to get you home :)

Jim

http://www.njlakefront.com/images/12v_tv.jpg

transmitterdan 07-15-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night0wl (Post 896454)
One thing to watch out for with these wall-wart appliances is that they tend to be *VERY* sensitive to over-voltage as well as voltage drops. Best to put a dc-dc converter in front of them to ensure that you dont fry them when the alternator is on and you power up the TV...

My experience is that the internal design of these TV's is pretty robust. TV manufacturers don't want to get a lot of TV's returned under warranty so they tend to overdesign the DC and RF input circuits. The TV can usually handle a larger range of input voltages than you might think. This does not increase the cost hardly at all. Running the TV directly from 12V is much more efficient than using an inverter or DC-DC converter.