Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
12 volt stores you trust

In another thread we pretty much established that Most of us won't find 12 volt appliances in big box stores. As much as I hate it, I'm going to have to buy a TV DVD online.

A number of links come up of course. Who has had good luck and good customer service with electronics bought online? Amazon.com is the only one I've used and trust. but that was for only for books.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Re: 12 volt stores you trust

The Admiral and I have bought all manner of things via Amazon and they've never disappointed.

Jim
Old 07-14-2012

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road

We have, in the past, used 12 volt items with success, but now use an inverters instead. We have three on board. One very small one, for charging batteries etc., one which we use for a microwave, sanders, soldering irons, TV and DVD, and a large one which runs our air compressor. I am not sure of the difference in battery consumption between the 12 volt appliances and the ones using 110 off of an inverter, and chose this route as it seems much simpler, especially if a replacement is needed while in an out of the way place. I do recall the difficulties encountered in finding those items and cannot recall a consistent source for them. We have had 12V blenders, coffee makers and the like. As I recall they also seemed slower than their 110 counterparts.
Old 07-14-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Try places that truckers buy these sort of things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Have you tried any of the larger RV dealers in your area? Or as said above, a small 500 watt inverter will take care of a TV/DVD combo. That's what I use on my boat to power the TV when away from the dock. I just plug mine into an adaptor that just happens to be a few inches away from the TV. Works great.

Last edited by chuck53; 07-14-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2012

transmitterdan is on a distinguished road

Denise,

Many big box store TV/DVD combo units will work on 12VDC even though they don't say it up front. Many units use a "wall wart" transformer and these will work on 12V if you don't use the transformer. If you have a local store you could do some research there and find if any that you like use a wall wart. Check the voltage on the wall wart itself. It it says that it puts out 12-13V then you are in business. Some that work on 16V will also work on 12V just as well.
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 07-14-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Denise,

Many big box store TV/DVD combo units will work on 12VDC even though they don't say it up front. Many units use a "wall wart" transformer and these will work on 12V if you don't use the transformer. If you have a local store you could do some research there and find if any that you like use a wall wart. Check the voltage on the wall wart itself. It it says that it puts out 12-13V then you are in business. Some that work on 16V will also work on 12V just as well.
One thing to watch out for with these wall-wart appliances is that they tend to be *VERY* sensitive to over-voltage as well as voltage drops. Best to put a dc-dc converter in front of them to ensure that you dont fry them when the alternator is on and you power up the TV...
HDChopper likes this.
Old 07-14-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

The problem with inverters is the energy loss hit the inversion process incurs: About 15% on average. Less at higher loads, more at lower.

Jim
Old 07-14-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Denise,
We got our TV/DVD at the Bordentown Junction Truck Stop at 206 & the Jersey Turnpike.

19" 720p, 12v with a DVD player. I think we're on year three with it and it's going strong. It's got a surprisingly good picture.

Mounted it on a tilt/swivel mount from Bestbuy throughbolted with fender washers and nylocks on on the backside. The brand is SuperSonic, but I've seen the same TV with a different names in RV & Marine stores.

We also got a 12v wet/dry vac that does OK for small jobs. They have a lot of 12v gadgets. We also hit the truck stop on 295 down near Paulsboro. Same 12v gadgets but we picked up some good stuff for patching up diesels enough to get you home

Jim

deniseO30 likes this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 07-14-2012

transmitterdan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
One thing to watch out for with these wall-wart appliances is that they tend to be *VERY* sensitive to over-voltage as well as voltage drops. Best to put a dc-dc converter in front of them to ensure that you dont fry them when the alternator is on and you power up the TV...
My experience is that the internal design of these TV's is pretty robust. TV manufacturers don't want to get a lot of TV's returned under warranty so they tend to overdesign the DC and RF input circuits. The TV can usually handle a larger range of input voltages than you might think. This does not increase the cost hardly at all. Running the TV directly from 12V is much more efficient than using an inverter or DC-DC converter.
RobGallagher likes this.