Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: Minimum Depth For Slip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
If the wind picks up and waves are formed you will pile drive the keel into the boat. Even wakes from the power boater's will do this. I have 2 friends that lost their boats this way.
Your boat shouldn't rest on the keel when on the hard. It should be resting on the pads, which are placed under the bulkheads that hold the weight of the boat. You will weaken the structural grid which the keel is bolted on, if you continue to place all the weight on it.
I would find another marina.
I agree with Melrna that if the bottom is hard and there is lots of waves/wakes that there is a good possibility of damage. With a soft bottom, I think one would be safe.

I don't agree that the weight of the boat is supported by the pads. At least not in the boat yards here. When they pull a boat, the travel lift lowers it down on some wood blocks on the ground and places the weight of boat on the blocks through the keel. Then, while the boat is still held/steadied in an upright postion, yard workers place/adjust the pads on stands around the boat to keep it upright.
SVAuspicious likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012

BlueWaterBlair is on a distinguished road

Great information everyone.

i am in a little protected cove that doesn't get much wave, wind, or wake action. A knucklehead jet skier once in awhile. it is a private cove, no wake area.

i would definitely not keep the boat here if i thought there was any chance of the keel getting pile driven in to the bottom. good point.

i am pretty sure that entire weight of boat is supported by keel when they haul out. I have watched this process many times, and it appears that the jack stands are just used to keep the boat upright.

i will not keep the boat here if keel is resting on hard bottom.

we have minus tides this week, and i am going to measure depth at that time to see where i am really at.

i'm going to dive my slip this morning and probe the bottom to determine the depth of the mud.

i am a technical scuba diver, and would have no problem diving below my boat every month to dig and keep keel clear of mud. i wouldn't dredge whole slip, just where keel is.

if i go for it, and it becomes too much of an inconvenience, or potentially can damage the boat, i will move it.

one thing i failed to mention is that i had a pretty serious motorcycle accident last year. it has been 11 months, and i am still in a walking cast. the ramp, parking, and docks are very easy to negotiate. hopefully cast comes off soon, but i know it will never fully heal, and i do like this marina because of the ease of access.

thanks again for everyone's input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blair
Pacific Beach, CA

Last edited by BlueWaterBlair; 07-15-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

I've seen boats resting on their keels in soft mud. I've also seen boats ink, 1. there was an old piling under the slip that puctured the hull on a low low tide. 2. It sunk so deep into the mud the keel stuck, and the boat flooded the next high tide. Other boats the same time were sitting on their keels so I don't know why this one didn't refloat.
Old 07-15-2012

Bill,

Dang, that isn't good.

i have dove my slip many times, and there is nothing down there.

i really don't want my keel in the mud. if i can't keep it clear, or there is hard ground right under the mud, i will not keep it here.

i'll have a better idea after i dive it today, and measure it at a negative tide this week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blair
Pacific Beach, CA
Old 07-15-2012

glassdad is on a distinguished road

You said you can dive and dredge the slip. Will the marina owners, the city or the state allow you to dredge out the mud. You may find you are in violation of environmental clean water laws. I am not familiar with the laws in your area but, in many areas you need permits to move any silt.

Take care.
killarney_sailor likes this.
Old 07-15-2012

GD,

good point. thanks.

currently i have to clean bottoms every 3-4 weeks. i would just take a couple of 5 gallon buckets down there with me every month, and clear it around the keel.

Blair
Pacific Beach, CA
Old 07-15-2012

algee is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Minimum Depth For Slip?

I had a sailboat in a slip where I would bottom out with low tides, north winds, etc. Even worse was getting out and finding that a few hours later we couldn't get back in. The bottoming out didn't hurt the boat (soft mud), but it sure didn't make going sailing much fun.

My advise would be to get a shallow draft boat or move to a deeper slip. We did both, and it certainly makes going for a sail more enjoyable:
Old 07-15-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Also you should consider the possible effect on you rudder.
Some rudders are very close to keel depth and they are less tolerant of touching bottom

The other outlying possibility is that depending on storm activity tides can be two or more feet higher or lower once every year or two.
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 07-15-2012

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

I've found that keels that are consistently close to the bottom get more fouling growth. Of course, it sounds like you're in a position to dive to clean any growth. On the plus side, powerboat marinas are less attractive to birds than sailboat marina are, so you'll have less to clean from the topsides.
Old 07-15-2012

dang, never even thought about the rudder.
guess i have more research to do.

funny about the birds liking sailboats more.

Blair
Pacific Beach, CA