Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road
Re: Minimum Depth For Slip?

I wouldnt dredge it per say, I would have someone that can air jet selectively. Dredging is the moving of sediment to another location which requires ALOT of permits and is usually denied. I do airjet slips but 95 percent of the time it is at a private location like a home where I can push the sediment against the bulkhead. As soon as you blow bottom into any navigable water way get ready for fines.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterBlair View Post
So my question is, what is the minimum amount of water you would want under your keel in your slip?
For me, I don't want to be touching bottom even at the lowest of low tides. Case in point...this past Saturday evening, we were at a function at our marina. At 21:00, my wife said "we should go out for a sail." We did go out for a couple of hours and it was wonderful. 15kts out of the South, 1-2' waves, balmy air temp, Chesapeake Bay to ourselves.

I have 5-6.5 feet in my slip. Boat draws 4 feet. If I was in a slip that only permitted me to go out (and return) during high tide, it would be a deal-breaker. We only live 1 mile from our boat so we do a lot of impromptu sailing. I want water under my keel.

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2012

BlueWaterBlair is on a distinguished road

thanks for everyone's input.
i measured this morning at a negative tide, and it appears i will still have a 1 3/4 feet of water under keel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blair
Pacific Beach, CA
Old 07-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
i measured this morning at a negative tide, and it appears i will still have a 1 3/4 feet of water under keel.
No brainer. Have fun.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-17-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
Bolt on keels are not designed to be loaded up on the hard. A grounding is a grounding intentional or otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Your boat shouldn't rest on the keel when on the hard. It should be resting on the pads, which are placed under the bulkheads that hold the weight of the boat. You will weaken the structural grid which the keel is bolted on, if you continue to place all the weight on it.
It seems the OP doesn't actually have a problem. Still, the blocking issue should not be allowed to stand. As one other poster stated, The weight of the boat on the hard rests on the keel. The purpose of the stands is to keep the boat upright. To quote Roland Olsson, recently retired director at Hallberg Rassy, "if your boat can't sit on the keel you should get another boat." *grin*

In my experience there are many more problems on boats that had the stands bearing too much weight than anything else on the hard other than toppling over in a storm.

Even boats like that J/22s that are very often trailered with bunks get shored up beneath the keel before being taken over the road.
saillife likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-17-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This morning was only about a -0.5 ft tide. Along the California coast one can expect extreme spring tides as low as about -2.0 feet, and maybe a tad lower if there is a strong high pressure system coinciding with the spring tide. So, there will be time when you'll be cutting it pretty close. But, probably 99% of the time you'll be fine.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-17-2012

SBS,

I am going by the printed tide table booklet that i picked up at my marina.

Is there an online source i can go to that might be more accurate for the current day, week, or month?

Blair
Pacific Beach, CA
Old 07-18-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

The printed tables are usually just fine. They're almost all based on the same NOAA predictions and/or algorithms anyway.

My point is that the spring tides vary from month to month. Spring tides occur around the new and full moons, and are the lowest and highest tides during the lunar cycle. They are named because not for the season, but because of the strong resultant currents (the tides seem to "spring" back and forth). The most extreme spring tides tend to be those around the summer and winter solstices. For instance, we're in a spring tide series right now. Near Mission Bay the lowest tide in this particular series will be a -0.65 foot tide Thursday morning. However, the spring tides at the beginning of last month got as low as -1.92 feet. And the tides a week or so before Christmas this year will get down to -1.96 feet. Those extreme spring tides are the ones you need to worry about, rather than the "average" spring tides.

Edit:
One caveat to keep in mind is that, as an Oceanographer told me many years ago, "Tide predictions are only good to within about a half and hour and a half a foot." In other words, the weather, and simple errors in our models, can influence the actual tide enough to be off by bit. If you surf the NOAA website a bit you should be able to find a trace of the actual tidal level as compared to the prediction for any site with a NOAA "reference station". When the barometric pressure is high, it tends to push the tidal level down a bit. When the pressure is low, it tends to pull the tide up a bit. Winds also have a bit of an effect, particularly in embayments.
SVAuspicious likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 07-18-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2012

SBS,

That's great information.
Thanks.
My survey is today.
Fingers crossed.

Blair
Pacific Beach, CA