Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Bottom paint etc

I have a friend who just bought an Almond 31 198?.
The bottom is very rough. Years of flaking off bottom paint.

It will cost him about 1,200 to soda blast the bottom and clean it up.
The full quote for complete bottom job soda, barrier coat and bottom paint is about 5,000.

The boat is worth probably 5 to 10 at best.

The obvious thing to do would be to scrape the loose stuff off and slap another coat of paint on it and forget it.

Would their be any advantage to doing the soda job and paint probable for under 2,000 or would that be a waste of money.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Here is my take/advice

If the boat is in good shape other wise, and he plans to keep it, I'd say soda blast it, and paint/barrier coat it himself. Total cost ~$1800 soda blast plus paint and barrier coat. $3800 for barrier coat and boat paint is outrageous,even if someone else is doing it..

If he just wants to put minimal money into it and just sail it, scrap the loose stuff, dispose of properly, slap some paint and go.

DrB
HDChopper likes this.

Last edited by DrB; 07-15-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Pros Soda Blast

Have the pros soda blast it. Not a DIY thing. My original response post suggested a DIY soda blast.

DrB
Old 07-16-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom paint etc

Hey,

The scape and paint would be cheap in $, expensive in time, and would not work real well (unless you do a LOT of scraping and sanding).

The hardest part is the paint removal. The barrier coat and painting is easy, but will cost a few hundred.

I was in a similar position back in 2007 when my new to me boat was hauled. The boat had 20 years of hard paint build up. I hired a soda blaster who did a great job. I did the rest and the bottom is still in great shop.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I have a friend who just bought an Almond 31 198?.
The bottom is very rough. Years of flaking off bottom paint.

It will cost him about 1,200 to soda blast the bottom and clean it up.
The full quote for complete bottom job soda, barrier coat and bottom paint is about 5,000.

The boat is worth probably 5 to 10 at best.

The obvious thing to do would be to scrape the loose stuff off and slap another coat of paint on it and forget it.

Would their be any advantage to doing the soda job and paint probable for under 2,000 or would that be a waste of money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

HOW big a can of worms does he want to open ?

No matter how good the blaster it will distrub stuff you cant see that will have to fixed
peterchech likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-16-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

We went through the same dilemma, we chose to rent the sanders at $25.00 per day (x2), and it took us a week of sanding 47 years of paint and crap off, but in the end it was cheap compared to blasting and the result was far superior.

It was the hardest job on the entire refit, it was very difficult and there is no easy way. It was hell on erf.

Old 07-16-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Chisel: Stanley Hand Tools-16-295*2-3/4inch X 8-1/2inch Mason's Chisel

Hammer: Stanley Hand Tools-54-012*12 oz. Wood Ball Pein Hammer

And just the right touch...
davidpm likes this.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-16-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

So many of us went through the similar situation including myself just recently. I also received a quote for $1,500 for soda blasting and $5,400 for sanding, repairing small blisters, barrier coat and bottom paint.
I hired the soda blasting service directly but I still there was a good amount of sanding required. I did everything else and did not hire it out. You will find out quickly why they charge so much... because it is not pleasant work.

Soda blasting down to the gelcoat really exposes the age of the hull and how well it was maintain or if there are inherit issues.

I agree with BarryL, the removal and prep work is not expensive but very time consuming. Barrier coats and bottom paint can be done in two days.

We spent approximately $1,420 materials including barrier coating, bottom paint, sanding paper, new rollers, trays, air resp, etc... and took about 60+ hours. Which looking at the cost proposals we received, falls inline. ($1,420 materials, $75 hr (boatyard rates x 60 hrs =) $4,500 labor = $5,920.

You asked if you can soda blast and paint can be done for $2,000? If you are talking about soda blasting, prep work, barrier coat and bottom paint, I would say no.
If you decide to scrape and sand the bottom paint off, no major blister repairs, self perform all the work, then yes. It will be hard work and many hours.

Good luck.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 07-16-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

I read or heard something about some strips of something that can be applied to the bottom to chemically strip it, but I cannot remember any details about it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Maybe those are an option?
Old 07-16-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

If he doesn't want to do the really dirty stuff himself, then:

The best way IMHO is to get a couple of the guys who hang out outside home depot. Pay them $100 for the day, give them blunted chisels (no hammers they will do damage with that haha) and a random orbital sander and some masks/goggles/gloves. For $200 you may be able to get the worst of it done in 1 day. Just stick around doing other boat repair stuff while they get most of the old paint off. Best I can see that's how the boat yards around here do things anyway.

I had a similar situation, but decided to just sand/rough the old stuff, and sand smooth the flaky stuff as well. Found hundreds of blisters, patched them up and threw on the bottom paint. Not enough money and time in the budget for a barrier coat and who knows how long I will have this boat, so that will have to work for now. That said, the quality of the bottom could be alot better. Everything is a copmpromise...