Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012
Boatsail

boatsail1 is on a distinguished road
Re: What is this??

A worth while and honest project (restoration)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012

SJ34 is on a distinguished road

That's gonna be a big, expensive project but I've always been a sucker for projects and have restored several boats myself. One of my biggest regrets is letting a boat get away that looks to be headed to the grinder now.

My vote is to go for it. You could always scrap it later, but then I also have a project that is worth more as scrap than it will be worth finished but still can't bring myself to make the smart financial choice.
Old 07-15-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post

For free how can you lose? There's a lot of good hardware there and a heavy lead keel even if you just part it out.
You *CAN* lose on this...bigtime. Start making a list of projects and COSTS for those based on what you read here and on other forums:

The way I see it, this boat needs *AT LEAST* $30-$50k worth of work to get to good, sailable condition (thats not bristol). Can you find a cherry condition of the same model on the market...I'm sure you could!

Unless you can do all the work for *LESS* than the lowest priced comparable condition (when finished) model on the market, I'd be parting the boat out and selling it as a bare, cleaned up hull (or scrap and to the junkyard).
copacabana likes this.
Old 07-16-2012
Get over yourself already

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

That'll buff out...
Old 07-16-2012

Seriously, I'd take it for free. It looks bad but clean it out, strip it down, tab glass and paint her back into a nice boat. She got sails?
Old 07-16-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Sails alone could cost 20K depending upon the type and how many. Boom is less than 2g, other rigging ie wires etc could run 3-5G.......frankly, I see more like 50-70K in refurbishing said boat. Cushions alone could run 5-10G! teak decking if that is what you have and replace it, another 10G.......I could be over 100G actually. A new boat like that granted would run 250-500G...........do you have an extra 50-100G laying around?

Marty
Old 07-16-2012

You can make sails from a kit for a reasonable price, you can find new used ones out there (give Bacons a call in Annapolis), make that boom yourself out of wood for next to nothing, make your own cushions, you can omit the teak decks and glass em up simple and solid with some balsa fill , you can do splices on your standing rigging instead of expensive fittings...

To bring her back to stock, yes - prohibitively expensive. To make her something in between original and bare bones? It's doable if you're hardy, handy and DIY and use no contracted help.
Old 07-16-2012
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road

Heck Ya! She has good looking lines , good looking hardware/winchs ect... ... Your a wood guy ,You got space !

Sounds like a cindrella story just waiting to happen to me
Old 07-16-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Sit down and then slap yourself two or three times in the face. Are you thinking clearly now? That boat is going to take a LONG time to put right. As mentioned above, you are going to sink A LOT of money into the boat, even if just bringing it back to "workboat" standards ("yacht" standards is more expensive). You will be buying all the bits and pieces at retail prices, which will add up quickly. You are basically building a new boat from a bare hull (or so it seems from the pics). Unless this is a very special hull, it just doesn't make sense to rebuild it (and an old IOR racer/cruiser is probably not a special hull). The other thing to remember is this: if you start the project you have to finish it or lose your investment. If you get halfway through the rebuild and give up it will be very hard to find someone who will buy the project from you. These boats are free for a reason. That said, if you absolutely LOVE to work on boats and prefer to be in a workshop on weekends rather than out sailing, then it could be for you. I think that in today's market in the US you can find a nice, clean used boat with everything in order for a fraction of the cost of restoring that one. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by copacabana; 07-16-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

Do you want it sailable or do you want a showpiece?

My sailboat was in comparable condition when I started it.

I think you could have it running and on the water for somewhere between $5k and $10k. Use birch plywood on access panels, non-load bearing bulkheads/dividers. Make a plywood floor. Use marine ply on the structural parts. Most of the wiring is likely to be ok unless it's been sitting underwater. Shop for used sails and wait until the deals come along. Always think functional, don't worry about pretty. If you HAVE to have cushions, get the $99 king size foam mattress from overstock.com and cut it to size, then sew the covers yourself.

However, you're probably going to want to do things right and have a pretty boat that you're proud of. THAT is going to be expensive.
Bruce_L likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.