Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012

gregV is on a distinguished road
Re: What is this??

Great points all. Yep, I understand the ridiculousness of even considering this. Fact is that for the money that I would just have to put in for rigging and sails I could buy a J 41, ready to sail in this economy. Though not have the semi-cruising interior I would like.

There would be two initial cost that I would be committed to if I took it, and that would be the cost to have it hauled here, and the cost of disposing of it if I bagged the whole idea.

Anyway, I will go back in the next day or two with some more wasp spray, and not in the rain this time. (haa) My adrenaline went up just realizing that when I climbed up the ladder that the largest nest was under that secondary winch, just by my hand.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Its merely a scratch, just cosmetic.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 07-16-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Worth looking at this CLICKY

If the deck which is likely to be cored is not soft because the core has rotted out AND the engine runs I would say it can be put back in the water with some sweat equity and not to much money.
-Archangel- likes this.
Old 07-16-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Someone will recognize the distinctive cove stripe. The "arrow fletching" on the aft end of it probably is unique to that maker and looks familiar but I'm drawing a blank.

Dare I ask if you've looked on the transom for a HIN? That would make it easy. Or the remnants of an electrical/engine panel, there's often a name on those.

I love the AC power strip taped to the grab bar below. :-)

What can make that rot fatal is if there is structural wood (bulkheads) that has rotted out below. Stringers rotted out. Keel bolts damaged by years of sitting with water over them. Water in the rudder, rotting out the armature after years. And there's GOT to be delamination in the deck after that much neglect.

Add a total rewire, even a simple one. An engine, unless you're purist. New rigging and all the rotted wood to be replaced...It hurts, but sometimes a mercy killing is indeed a mercy.
smurphny likes this.
Old 07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Someone will recognize the distinctive cove stripe. The "arrow fletching" on the aft end of it probably is unique to that maker and looks familiar but I'm drawing a blank........
That is what I was hoping. Why I posted close ups. I've been searching the net, but no luck. As soon as the yellow jackets vacate then I will surely search it out. As of now I am not even sure how long this boat is. ???
I saw there was a wood documentation placard under that collapsed lazarette hatch.

Deck felt stiff. Hull and deck seem structurally sound so far. I'm getting ahead of myself though as I just need to spend a couple hours getting through this thing. Dam yellow jackets!!
Old 07-16-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

I suggest that before you even consider restoring ("ressurecting", more like it) this boat, see what big-ticket items have to be replaced: engine, sails, standing and running rigging, deck core, rudder, mast, electrical system and instruments, head, holding tank and plumbing, to name a few. If you have to replace 2 or more from the list, I'd say it's not worth even starting the project as you are certain to be into this boat for more than it's worth. People are telling you that it's just labour, but it's not. You'd be surprised at how the small stuff adds up. How many sheets or plywood are you going to use? Have you ever priced SS screws, hinges, fasteners, etc. etc.? Every seemingly small job is going to cost time and money. It doesn't seem like much now, but it just keeps adding up (and up and up....). Again, unless it's a very special boat like a Hinckley or something, it's just not worth it, unless you just LOVE to fix boats! (and if that's the case, come and visit me in Brazil and I'll put you to work!!)
Old 07-16-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Poison is good, freeze spray is good (if you're brave), shell "no pest" strips are basically nerve gas and good (ahem) in confined spaces. But mothballs, napthalene or camphor, in good doses will also kill bugs or drive them away. Of course thy're not so good for people either, clean 'em out when you're done.
Old 07-17-2012

....I'm 'thinking' I'm guna bag this idea. I forget that I am older and would rather play a bit more then have this hanging over my head.
I have a passion for full out race boats and can easily just by a nice used one with a good inventory for considerably less then this would take to make seaworthy.

By the way, just cause. Here is one of my last RC sailboats I built. West systems over pine planked hull and balsa deck.

Old 07-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregV View Post
....I'm 'thinking' I'm guna bag this idea. I forget that I am older and would rather play a bit more then have this hanging over my head.
I have a passion for full out race boats and can easily just by a nice used one with a good inventory for considerably less then this would take to make seaworthy.

By the way, just cause. Here is one of my last RC sailboats I built. West systems over pine planked hull and balsa deck.

If you can build something that nice you'd have that old one tonner in better than new shape in no time.
Bruce_L and gregV like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-17-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Worth looking at this CLICKY

If the deck which is likely to be cored is not soft because the core has rotted out AND the engine runs I would say it can be put back in the water with some sweat equity and not to much money.
Those are the two major questions/expenses to consider. Looks like she may have gone down which would probably have ruined the engine and soaked the wiring, core, and everything else. You could easily spend 30K bringing this one back, even doing the work yourself. Not worth it IMO, especially because it is an unknown design. If it turned out to be an old S&S or other well known design, it might be worth considering. There are too many other choices to get a sailboat in this economy.

Put an insecticide fogger inside and come back the next day.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-17-2012 at 12:21 PM.