Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Pressure cooker and Dutch oven are good, but one can only down boiled food for so long. Make sure you have a BBQ on your rail. We use our MW to a greater extent than our stoves oven.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
Re: cooking on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
argg hard tack and sail pork lol actualy i do most of my cooking in the **** pit,its amazing how much cooking grease builds up in the cabin
wow! i really need to cleanup my language
jerryrlitton likes this.
Old 07-16-2012

powerebpa is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I'm used to being cold and wet on the boat and forgot about the heat factor of an oven. I'm thinking a on the rail grill is the way to go.
Old 07-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

There is also a stove top baking gizmo out there that got great ratings. Can't find it at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-16-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

this was available through costco, I found it on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Camp Chef Camping Outdoor Oven with 2 Burner Camping Stove: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Camp Chef Camping Outdoor Oven with 2 Burner Camping Stove: Kitchen & Dining

It looks like it could work in a smaller galley. jus sayin...

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2012
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
this was available through costco, I found it on Amazon. Amazon.com: Camp Chef Camping Outdoor Oven with 2 Burner Camping Stove: Kitchen & Dining

It looks like it could work in a smaller galley. jus sayin...
I am definitely considering that for my O' Day 25...... Saw one at Gander Mountain today it looks like it would fit nicely. Amazon has the best price I have seen so far too.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 07-16-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerebpa View Post
So I'm woundering what you do while cruising for food. I currently have a two burner stove but would like a stove. I got a camp stove and have been experemting at home but think it's too big for mt 25' boat. I'm planning on living aboard in a few years and want to know if there are other options since the boat is small. Let me know what you are doing. I've lived on it for a week every summer but want to know what you cook, store, need and don't need, and how you eat. I don't eat out much and live on beans, rice and soy milk on the boat but want more variety. What are your thoughts?
Full time cruiser and live aboard. Two kids. Wife. Fat bulldog.

We honestly don't use the stove much. We are in FL. FOr one thing, as mentioned above, it heats up the whole cabin. When anchored out, it really makes it uncomfortable down below. We are HUGE fans of grills. I carry two. It gets the heat outside and gets people out of the boat. If it is raining, we can sub a cast iron skillet (a must on a boat) for the grill for most things. We will use the oven sometimes, but more for caseroles or things like baked chicken.

If you can get an inverter, I really like crock pots and microwaves for the boat. Crock pots properly secured can really make a nice meal and the microwave (in my opinion) is the best way to cook for using the least amount of energy and heat. We do most (most) of our veggies in the microwave as it is quick and does not generate heat. Plus, we have a large solar array (and generator) to keep the propane use low.

We carry a pressure cooker, but honestly, never use it a lot. We always seem to cook things to oblivion in it. ALso, I have seen one of those partially explode (the vent thing on top got stuck and the thing blew out its pressure gauge) and made a horrendous mess. Was in a house, not a boat, but gawd what a mess. You better keep a close eye on that thing when using it on a boat.

Hope that helps.

Brian

PS FOr beans, I probably would use a pressure cooker... but I am not a big bean eater.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There is also a stove top baking gizmo out there that got great ratings. Can't find it at the moment.
This was it:

Omnia Oven Review by Trail Testers

Amazon.com: Contoure Omnia Oven w/ 2.1 Quart Capacity for Stovetop Use: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Contoure Omnia Oven w/ 2.1 Quart Capacity for Stovetop Use: Kitchen & Dining

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-16-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Brian, Capt Landers on this thread already posted about the "July Pressure Cooker Challenge" - check it out, we've already learned some amazing stuff. Like how to make pasta aboard with *no* extra wasted water: Farfalle all'Arrabbiata - Angry (spicy) Butterflies
- the secret to al dente pressure cooked pasta! | hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes & tips!

This stuff looks crazy, but it works and is delicious. Hey, you convinced us to put a grill on our cockpit rail, the least we can do in return is get you involved with your pressure cooker! Turnabout being fair play, and all of that.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-16-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Brian, Capt Landers on this thread already posted about the "July Pressure Cooker Challenge" - check it out, we've already learned some amazing stuff. Like how to make pasta aboard with *no* extra wasted water: Farfalle all'Arrabbiata - Angry (spicy) Butterflies
- the secret to al dente pressure cooked pasta! | hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes & tips!

This stuff looks crazy, but it works and is delicious. Hey, you convinced us to put a grill on our cockpit rail, the least we can do in return is get you involved with your pressure cooker! Turnabout being fair play, and all of that.
Ill check it out!!!

Brian
wingNwing likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: