SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   cooking on a boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/89738-cooking-boat.html)

powerebpa 07-15-2012 09:47 PM

cooking on a boat

So I'm woundering what you do while cruising for food. I currently have a two burner stove but would like a stove. I got a camp stove and have been experemting at home but think it's too big for mt 25' boat. I'm planning on living aboard in a few years and want to know if there are other options since the boat is small. Let me know what you are doing. I've lived on it for a week every summer but want to know what you cook, store, need and don't need, and how you eat. I don't eat out much and live on beans, rice and soy milk on the boat but want more variety. What are your thoughts?

powerebpa 07-15-2012 09:48 PM

Re: cooking on a boat

Sorry I ment I want an oven.

TQA 07-15-2012 10:00 PM

You need a dutch oven
A pressure cooker used without the seal works as well.

Bakes bread brownies etc.

The pessure cooker used with the seal is ideal for casserole type dishes. It is economical on gas and safer than regular pots in rough weather as the lid can not come off. Quite a few cruisers have been badly burned in stove accidents.

chrisncate 07-15-2012 10:04 PM

Origo 6000, it's an alcohol oven. Pricey if not found used, works great though.

Cruiser2B 07-15-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 896780)
You need a dutch oven .

I've got one of those in my bed.....wife loves it!!!:eek::laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher

CptnTantalus 07-15-2012 10:11 PM

If you're going down the pressure cooking route (recommended) you might find this helpful.

July Pressure Cooker Challange, for boaters and landers!! | hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes & tips!

powerebpa 07-15-2012 10:12 PM

I have a lodge Dutch oven that I use for camping but thought it needs heat from the top also, I.E. charcoal on top. Have a pressure cooker for canning also but is large. Any resources you can point me to that I can find out how to use them on my boat. Thanks for the reply.

youmeandthed 07-16-2012 12:08 AM

we have used our oven a couple times in 6 months on our new boat. you probably can get away without. If you are in the tropics and you don't have AC it will be very hot in the boat with the oven on, so you won't use it much. I'm guessing.

sawingknots 07-16-2012 12:12 AM

argg hard tack and sail pork lol actualy i do most of my cooking in the **** pit,its amazing how much cooking grease builds up in the cabin

Capt.aaron 07-16-2012 12:16 AM

The stuff you can do in a sautee pan and boil pot is as limitless as your imagination. Pickled, canned gourmet, sprouted, dried food, coffee can bread etc.