Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Would like some more info.

Check out Practical Sailor's two volumes of "Practical Boat Buying", reviews of many models and the comments about them help put the larger picture in perspective.

I'd also suggest that it is almost certain that no matter how much homework you do, the first boat will not be the "right" boat for you after 2-3 years of experience, so it probably pays to make that first boat a common/popular model with a good resale value. To not put a lot of money into it (usually you won't et it back) and to avoid real oddball bargains that won't be easily resold either.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012

-Archangel- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
To start, We need to understand what kind of sailing you want to do and where.

Will you sail on sheltered waters, such as a lake? Will you you be sailing semi-sheltered waters such as the Great Lakes or a large bay? What about coastal cruising? Do you want to trailer your boat to many different locations?

Do you want to only do day sails with maybe a weekend? Do you want to cruise to nearby or far away locations? If you want to cruise, how long do you want to spend on the boat? How many should it sleep? How much storage? Galley -- cook for how many? How much cooking do you want to do? Are you an accomplished chef, a baloney+cheese / PBJ kind of guy, or somewhere in between? What about A/C, a genset? Will you always tie up at a dock or will you anchor out -- determines reefer size and water requirements. Will you be sailing days at a time? Affects food requirements and holding tank capacity.

How important is speed to you? Do you intend to race?

How many people will usually accompany you? That determines capacity. Will you need to single hand? That limits size, and/or adds equipment requirements.

How tall are you and your crew? Do you require enough height in the boat to stand up straight?

There more I could ask, but that's enough to get started.

Regards,

Tom
The boat would be use for coastal cruising and does not need a trailer, since it will be moored in a marina. I want it to be able cruise with it to both near and far locations. It should sleep 4-5 people preferably and have decent storage. I would like to do some cooking on it, and as for my cooking skill probably somewhere in between. It would need heating if it would be used in the winter months in the Pacific northwest. I would like to sail for a days at a time (like 3-4 at most) with it. As for speed, I would be happy with 7 knts and it would not be used for racing.
I don't know how many would usually be accompany me but I would like to be able to take the boat out solo.
I would like decent height on the interior to stand up, but i could also live without if it means she is hard to handle.

thanks Tom for the questions.

Last edited by -Archangel-; 07-16-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"As for speed, I would be happy with 7 knts"
Then you may be wanting a lightweight 40-footer.

Speed is limited by hull length, and while lighter boats may be faster overall, to get a reliable 7 knots in average conditions, you're quickly heading for 40'.
Old 07-16-2012

-Archangel- is on a distinguished road

I don't want a 40' because of marina fees. So I would be looking into a slower sailboat since it would be 30'.
Old 07-16-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Bill Browning Yacht Sales

This is one of the best sites I've found for good old boat brochures. I'm sure there are others out there, hopefully this will help you narrow down the choices.
-Archangel- likes this.
Old 07-16-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Bill Browning Yacht Sales

This is one of the best sites I've found for good old boat brochures. I'm sure there are others out there, hopefully this will help you narrow down the choices.
Thanks for posting that website. Never seen it before. Another good source is Sailboatdata.com.
Old 07-16-2012
Plausible Deniability

One of the rough numbers is that hull speed equals 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length. So on a 30' boat with perhaps a 25' waterline length, your hull speed might be as high as 6.5 knots--but that's full speed, assuming a clean bottom and enough wind to get it moving at hull speed.
Old 07-16-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Archangel- View Post
The boat would be use for coastal cruising and does not need a trailer, since it will be moored in a marina. I want it to be able cruise with it to both near and far locations.
When you say far locations, what do you mean? Are you still staying close to the west coast or are you talking about crossing the Pacific. If you are looking to do true blue water (in the middle of the ocean) sailing, then we are looking at a totally different boat. A coastal cruiser and a blue water boat are 2 different ($$) animals.
Old 07-16-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Your region has a big population of Santana 30s ( 3 flavours ranging from cruiser to racer ) from that erawhich is a fine boat to start off with.

PM newportnewbie on this site who bought a Santana 30 on a whim 18 months ago or PM SchockT who is an experienced Santana 30 owner in your area to find out the skinny.
-Archangel- likes this.
Old 07-16-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Archangel, if I were you I would look at a C&C 30. There are at least a couple for sale in BC which meet all you criteria except speed. The 30 is an excellent sailing vessel. A friend of mine who has one says the 30 has the best sailing hull and having sailed on her she's a beauty to sail.
Hellosailor, hull speed is the theoretical maximum speed that a displacement hull can go not a speed limit and in fact can easily be exceeded with the proper hull design
-Archangel- likes this.