Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012

pick1e is on a distinguished road
Just purchased a beautiful 1976 Pintail 14

This boat is in "like new" condition. Apparently it's been stored indoors its whole life and I'm the 3rd owner.

A couple questions for anyone familiar with this boat:

There are small holes in the rudder and keel to insert a pin to lock them in a raised position. Are these original? There doesn't seem to be any method of locking the rudder and keel in the down position. Do they stay down simply due to their weight?

Does the length of the traveler line make much difference? It was replaced at some point by someone who didn't know anything about sailing (tried to sail with the keel up ) so I'm sure it's not its original length. If it does matter is there any way to find out the original length?

Thanks in advance,
Attached Thumbnails
Just purchased a beautiful 1976 Pintail 14-5v25e65mc3gd3k73nac7e77d2586cc46b120e.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Re: Just purchased a beautiful 1976 Pintail 14

On my centerboard daysailer (a Luger 16) the CB had several lead weights glued into it to keep it down. The rudder had some sort of spring that would hold it down.

Small boats are often used in shallow places and locking the CB or rudder down could lead to losing either one if you strike bottom. At speed, my CB would begin to rise; I recall I used a bungee cord to keep it down.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2012

Okay, thanks. Good point about striking the bottom. We just sailed it last night on the Saginaw Bay on Lake Huron in Michigan and kept hitting bottom even about 3/4 mile from shore. I never realized how shallow it is out there. I guess the water level is down too. The rudder has a hole and pin to lock it in the "up" position but I think I need to modify it for a "half way" position so we can safely sail in and out. Maybe a hole with a string and cleat would be sufficient.

The CB and rudder on this one are heavy plate steel, so I guess I won't worry about them moving. I think the keel was vibrating at speed but that's a different story
Old 07-18-2012
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Great purchase! Have you found the SailMFG tribute site yet? It can be reached at

SailMFG - Preserving the Legacy of SailMFG Sailboats

It has lots of information about these sailboats, and some rigging information about the pintail. I used to own a Whip (sail # 33), and think SailMFG boats were really good quality and simple boats.

Old 07-18-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

tighter traveler means the boom will be farther out laterally when you sheet in for close-hauled. Looser means the boom will be closer to the boat's centerline.

In general, the former would be preferable in heavy air, the latter in light air. I suspect it was meant to be adjustable accordingly. Plus, your tiller's so high, you'll need some slack in the traveler just to have it pass over the tiller. And how loose you can have it is limited by the height of the boom (and traveler block). the traveler should draw tight before those two can touch and go "two-blocked".
Old 07-19-2012

arknoah- I did see that website, thanks. Unfortunately there's not too much info out there on the pintail!

nolatom- Thanks for that explanation.
Old 08-29-2012

roygump is on a distinguished road

Who knew that I would be Loving a 1969 MFG sailboat?? Life is interesting, or, well...boating is.
On my centerboard case there is no hole for locking. Mine just has the line that you must tie off on the side of the case.
My maiden voyage on the boat was a 2 hour wonderfully surprising experience. My girlfriend even agreed to come with me! Wonderful steady breeze on the Hudson River out of Saugerties, NY. that was three days ago.
So... yesterday, during my 2nd sail on her, there was a pretty serious wind out of the north west that was messing with me and keeping me on my toes.
I was looking at the stays and thinking to myself that I might add a couple more .... to make sure this old boat could stand up to my kind of sailing. About 4 minutes after I went through that thought process about the stays, one snapped near the deck sending the whole shebang into the river, sails, mast, boom. As a big powerboat passed me by without so much as a wave I gathered up everything and under the power of the smallest electric trolling motor I could find for her I humbly and silently found my way back to
my marina on the Esopus Creek. That was the first time this ever happened to me. Getting dismasted in the middle of the river in a raging wind. I'm glad I didn't notice the quickly approaching HUGE tug with barge until I was underway, because that would have made me really nervous! Pintail is a 14 ft. boat. To me it seems much bigger. I guess because of the width.
p.s. Do adults really need to have a list of smiley(and vomiting!) icons to decorate their words??! Bizarre to me.