Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2004

moconnell is on a distinguished road
Boat Transport - 30ft sailboat

I''m considering having my Scampi 30 hauled from North Cicago, IL to Charleston, SC. Any advice on how to select a hauler? What to expect price wise? What to watch out for?
Could I rent a trailer & haul it myself?
LOA 30ft
Beam 9''6"
Disp 7500

Thanks for any/all advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2004

drynoc is on a distinguished road

It''s very rare that I actually have something to offer on here, other than questions.

If you do a search on the net titled something like "boat shipping" you will get a long list of shippers and agents for shippers that you can contact. I called some of both, got estimates, and picked the one that seemed to promise the best combination of price and performance. It all worked well.

What you will find out is that there are trucks of opportunity and dedicated trucks. The first is one that is near where your boat is on some other mission and can pick it up as part of its return trip. This is much cheaper than the second, which is a truck sent to pick up your boat. In essence, you are paying for both trips, rather than just the return. If you are in a hurry, you might want a dedicated truck. If you have time, you can wait for a target of opportunity.

Secondly, there are hydraulic trailers that can lift the boat off of its stands and carry it away. These are more expensive to hire, but they do not need the support of a crane from a nearby (one hopes) marina, which support adds to the cost of a regular trailer.

It cost me roughly $1200 to ship my 35'' boat from Newport, RI to Deale, Maryland on a truck of opportunity with a hydraulic trailer. I''m guessing that the trip you are contemplating would cost at least twice that.

It would probably be very difficult to find a trailer that would accommodate your specific boat, and very expensive to have one built.
Old 01-28-2004

hamiam is on a distinguished road

This isnt going to be of much help but you really need to go online and ask for quotes. Also, keep in mind that depending on the time of year, the cost will be RADICALLY different. Its all a supply/demand thing. I think the boat is a bit too large for any normal suv/pickup truck to haul and you run into permit issues and the like. The extra cost of a hydraulic trailer is well worth it, in my opinion given the expense and hassle of finding a crane operator and hiring the crane etc.
Old 01-28-2004

mabwjm is on a distinguished road

We used "M&N Transportation" in 2002 to move our Alberg 30 from Detroit to Solomons, MD. Cost from Detroit to Solomons was $1500.00

Very friendly, very professional--Dave was the manager, Jack the driver. We
were very pleased with their handling of our "new" baby.

They can be reached at (810) 679-4067.

Fair winds, Bill
Old 01-31-2004

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road

With most states limiting the maximun trailer width with overhangs (sailor, read "beam") on public highways to 8''6" without requiring a permit (for each state) and a "chaser" vehicle displaying a "wide load" warning, not to mention dealing with a curb weight well beyond the towing capacity of any production truck I can think of (even the GMC only tows around 5600 lbs., with a gasoline engine, as I recall, and you won''t be at anything nearly as svelte as 7500 lbs. with boat, trailer and equipment: I don''t think even the biggest, burliest diesel can pull that. And <em>Lord</em>, I don''t want to assume that kind of liability while on the road, either!), this is not a do-it-yourself operation. Almost anything beyond a 25'' water-ballasted Catalina or Hunter is a "truckable" but not a "trailerable" boat.

Good Luck,
Jeff C

P. S.ó you get to pay a per-mile charge for the chaser car, too!
Old 02-02-2004

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road

Talk About Transport check out the following address

http://www.pianoladynancy.com/recovery_usscole.htm
Old 02-02-2004

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road

Talk About Transport check out the following address

http://www.pianoladynancy.com/recovery_usscole.htm
Old 02-02-2004

pjfsail is on a distinguished road

I had my 34'' Yorktown, 11'' beam shipped up from Marina Del Rey to Morro Bay, California last year. A distance of about 220 miles. Due to traffic conditions it needed to be split into a two day haul. I received estimates from $800.00 all the way up to $2,400.00. I didn''t want to just pick one at randem so I called around to the yards in Marina Del Rey and asked who they used most often to ship vessels for them. I was surprised to find out it was the guy who quoted me $800.00. He did an excellant job and went to great lengths to make sure my boat arrived in good order. If I were to do it again, I would call around to the boat yards and ask them who does THEIR hauling. I think if you do this you will get sound advice. Regards, Peter
Old 02-11-2004

sailorman10 is on a distinguished road

I own a 30'' Helms that needed to be moved from Ft Worth Tx to Whitney Texas, about 100 miles south. Quotes to move the boat were around 3000 dollars and would not allow any time for bottom painting for maintenance in between. So, I built a trailer myself and had the boat hauled by crane and then had the painting/maintenance done. It wound up sitting on the trailer for one year. In the meantime, I took a new job in Florida and wound up moving the boat myself 1200 miles to St Petersburg, Florida. The total cost of the move including fuel both ways, permits, launching the boat by crane in florida, stepping the mast, and a couple hotel nights was less than 1000 dollars (minus the cost of the trailer which is now for sale). I used a dodge diesel 3/4 ton truck and had no worrys about the ability to pull the load. No issues in transit either. I was quite anxious during the first day of the move since I had never moved a load that large before. Once I knew everything worked, it was smooth sailing. The permits averaged 15 $ per state and can be arranged over the phone. It was a little hairy going thru Baton Rouge during rush hour and getting in a traffic jam on I 10 just over the Miss. River. My insurance company covered the move with no additional fees as well. Would I do it again? No problem.

Randy
Old 02-23-2004

elhanley is on a distinguished road

I had my 30 footer hauled from Oakland CA to NW Florida by Associated Boat Transfer. About $5700. Very satisfied.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.