Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: which anchor to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
heres a pick from the cockpit looking foward while anchored out with the danforth.
Huck, you do realize that this means you have to change your name to:
Bigger boat lover
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

yea but ill keep it smallboatlover for a bit lol and yea right now the chain weight isn't a big deal in the furtue i will get a bow roller for it and put a hand whinch on it but thats after i get the major stuff done first.
Old 07-18-2012
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
columbia yatch
Izzat a cross between a yawl and a ketch?

Funny, I don't see the mizzen in your pic...
Old 07-18-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

no mizzen on a 26' sailboat
Old 07-19-2012
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
no mizzen on a 26' sailboat
I got a mizzen, and I'm only 25'
Old 07-19-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Too much time wasted on the obvious. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Huck Congrads on your boat!
I second Cruiser2B, keep them both on board for a rainy day... Though I don't think Delta is the way to go
Greg
Old 07-19-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
The best all round anchor without question is the Danforth (original only) for most bottoms. The choice of many cruisers is the CQR but requires more attention when setting. Neither are that good on bare rock and that's why a good length of chain is required. The minimum length of chain should be equal to the overall boat length, however, more chain is always better. Many have two setups with one being an all chain and the other a nylon rode/chain combination. Ultimately your rode determins the holding power of the anchor.
There have been too many anchor threats on SN and i promised not to get involved with another one, but sometimes you just have to. To say that a Danforth is the "best around anchor without question" is just silly and I have a 35 HT Danforth on board and it is my third anchor and never used. If one has an all chain rode available I can't imagine choosing to use a combination rode instead, unless your windlass went belly-up or something. A Danforth or a CQR on bare rock will be pretty much useless even with all chain if there is enough wind or tide to lift the chain. Having all chain is best, but there are issues with weight and cost so I can see many reasons not to have it on a boat in the mid-20s range.

I have used CQRs and Bruces in the past and the new generation anchors are definitely better, but they are not cheap and for the anchoring most people do they are not a necessity and the OP should experiment with what he has and see what works best in what conditions
Old 07-20-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor:898902
There have been too many anchor threats on SN and i promised not to get involved with another one, but sometimes you just have to. To say that a Danforth is the "best around anchor without question" is just silly and I have a 35 HT Danforth on board and it is my third anchor and never used. If one has an all chain rode available I can't imagine choosing to use a combination rode instead, unless your windlass went belly-up or something. A Danforth or a CQR on bare rock will be pretty much useless even with all chain if there is enough wind or tide to lift the chain. Having all chain is best, but there are issues with weight and cost so I can see many reasons not to have it on a boat in the mid-20s range.

I have used CQRs and Bruces in the past and the new generation anchors are definitely better, but they are not cheap and for the anchoring most people do they are not a necessity and the OP should experiment with what he has and see what works best in what conditions
The only "silly" thing here is misquoting. This is typical of SN forums as one's persanal preferences makes them the expert in all things boating. While I respect other's opinions, sometimes opinions are nothing more than childish ball rubbing that denigrates the thread and the original spirit of the posting. Perhaps one should take their own advice, and choose not to post in another "anchor threat".
Old 07-20-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor:898902

The only "silly" thing here is misquoting. This is typical of SN forums as one's persanal preferences makes them the expert in all things boating. While I respect other's opinions, sometimes opinions are nothing more than childish ball rubbing that denigrates the thread and the original spirit of the posting. Perhaps one should take their own advice, and choose not to post in another "anchor threat".
Guess I'm missing something here, but how were you "misquoted"?