Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
which anchor to use?

So with my new 26' boat it came with a danforth anchor chain and 200 ft of rope. And my niebhore just gave me a plow anchor about 25lbs maybe more maybe less. now my question is which one should i use as my primary? And should i keep both on board or ditch the extra weight and only use one. since no over night anchoring right now just day time anchoring.
Old 07-16-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: which anchor to use?

Add a bit of chain, then practice with both and see what you like better. No easy answer as both can be effective.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a fun problem to have Huck.

I like Rob's suggestion - practice with both. I also think a 26' boat is big enough to carry 2 hooks -- so I'd keep one on the rope rode for things like kedging or if you lose your primary.

-m
Old 07-16-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

either is fine for a lunch hook ifyou use enough rode. Either should have chain to reduce chafing on rocks and to make it easier to set the hook. There are lots of threads about anchors and lots of opinions about the best type.
Old 07-16-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I carry both, right now I have a Spade as my primary and the danforth on the stern for an emergency. But I've used a danforth successfuly for years. It's lighter and more manageable. And if you're using it for day trips it should be perfectly fine.

It also depends on what kind of bottom you are anchoring in. The danforth wouldn't be best in grass.
Old 07-16-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
which anchor to use?

Tempest is right. One of the first questions is what is the most common bottom where you are? Sometimes the locals can tell you what works in the area. My understanding is that the plows are not good in soft mud. A danforth might be better in firm silt or sand.
Old 07-16-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Find out what the locals use. Danforths for the most part in Puget Sound are useless POJ anchors. Most of us use a plow style if you will, be it a bruce, plow, rocna etal. There are a few that use danforth styles, nice to have as said if you hit some fin soil ie mud type bottoms. I would not trust one for an over night, as once they seem to let loose, they will not re anchor, where a plow style will usually reset.

marty
Old 07-16-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

That 25 lb plow anchor should hold you well in most places, i have anchored all over the Chesapeake with my 22lb delta and it holds my alberg 30 (5ton) just fine in mud and in grass.I have 35ft of 5/16 chain and 200ft of 5/8 rode. I have been in some pretty good blows while anchored too, the key is to have enough scope!!!!!! I am not saying this is the best anchor or trying to start an anchor thread, quite honestly I think this issue is way way over analyzed. Add 25ft of chain and I would say that 25lb plow will hold just fine in the muck of Mt Hope Bay! I actually carry a 9lb danforth with 12ft 1/4 chain and 150ft of 1/2 rode on my stern just incase engine dies while I'm in the inlet....very busy in the summer and surrounded by jagged rock!!!!!!Always keep more than one anchor and rode on board....you never know!!

FWIW I am going to be putting 35lb Delta on my boat as a pimary as soon as one pops up on CL! yes i am a cheapa$$

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 07-16-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

In the nj/ny harbor area danforth and 6' of chain seems to be the universal hook. We have mostly mud/sand bottoms with few rocks. Rhode island I was advised in another thread can be rocky, so 6' of chain won't cut it, the rope will chafe. I hate carrying lots of chain and anchors myself, but a lightweight backup danforth is prob a good idea. The aluminum ones, though expensive, are super light and super cool!
Old 07-17-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
The best all round anchor without question is the Danforth (original only) for most bottoms. The choice of many cruisers is the CQR but requires more attention when setting. Neither are that good on bare rock and that's why a good length of chain is required. The minimum length of chain should be equal to the overall boat length, however, more chain is always better. Many have two setups with one being an all chain and the other a nylon rode/chain combination. Ultimately your rode determins the holding power of the anchor.