Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012

sd1953 is on a distinguished road
Re: nautical language rant

Egad, I forgot the "ULTRA"...
Well, as long as I do not do that at the beer store, I guess we'll be OK.
(chagrined grin)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Talk about poking a wasp nest with a short stick...

For me, it all boils down (as Smacky mentioned) to function. You can have the best handle on proper terminology, but unless the folks to whom you are tossing it know it as well you simply are NOT communicating. That can be frustrating for both parties, and can in some instances become dangerous. A smart captain adapts his terminology to meet the learning level of his crew, but also invests the time to train them (if they are interested, that is.)
That's very true as far as non-sailor guests on board. A good host always makes their guests feel welcome and comfortable.

On the other hand, the OP was talking about the language on this and other sailing forums where, presumably, the poster are sailors and should learn, or have learned, the correct nautical terminology.

Or do we want "rubber bumper thingies" and "parking space" to become standard usage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-18-2012

jsnaulty is on a distinguished road

smackdaddy - I don't care if you don't think you and the people you sail with should learn what the thingy on the front is or if you give detailed instructions in how to crank wenches on boats. feel free. read my biography if you think I've never been on a racing sailboat with 20 lines. I think the most lines I've encountered were probably found on Decoursey Fales 'nina', a staysail schooner- god knows how many lines she had, and every one of them had a name, and it was important to know them. But I guess I never had a 'BFS' like you.

steve naulty
Old 07-18-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Just starting to re-read O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin series. If you want to be completely baffled by nautical terminology, vol. 1, Master and Commander, is a good place to start. The amount of terminology about the rigging on a 1800s, square rigged man o war is incredible. In this day and age, I don't think we can appreciate the importance of these kinds of sailing ships in their day. It gives you a lot of respect for the guys that manned these ships.
dacap06 likes this.
Old 07-18-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnaulty View Post
smackdaddy - I don't care if you don't think you and the people you sail with should learn what the thingy on the front is or if you give detailed instructions in how to crank wenches on boats. feel free. read my biography if you think I've never been on a racing sailboat with 20 lines. I think the most lines I've encountered were probably found on Decoursey Fales 'nina', a staysail schooner- god knows how many lines she had, and every one of them had a name, and it was important to know them. But I guess I never had a 'BFS' like you.

steve naulty
Jeez, someone's a little snippy. Look, I have no idea who you are, and I'll take your word on your biography.

Regardless, as I said above, I think you're being too picky. You posited - I parried.

If I'm on your boat - fine. Rant on. You have every right to expect whatever you want to expect. But your post was more about what's happening on Sailnet. And this ain't your boat. It's a place where all kinds of people talk about sailing. And not everyone knows everything - but that certainly doesn't mean they should feel intimidated about talking about sailing, asking questions about terminology, etc. due to cranky salty dudes ranting (especially about freakin' spelling). Just offer them the correct term. From what I've seen, newbs usually don't get bent out of shape about that kind of thing - at least not enough to start a rant thread about it.

Just sayin'.

(Oh and congrats on the America's Cup thing. That's pretty damn cool.)

PS - if you've really been sailing for 62 years with all that racing thrown in and you haven't had a "BFS like me"...you're definitely doing it wrong. Heh-heh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-18-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
... or if you give detailed instructions in how to crank wenches on boats.
smackdaddy and Mormandeus like this.
Old 07-18-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road

All I know is, anyone who uses better grammar than me is a snob, and anyone whose grammar is worse than mine is a hick. And anyone who can't spell is just plain stoopid.
Old 07-18-2012

lapworth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
smackdaddy - I don't care if you god knows how many lines she had, and every one of them had a name, and it was important to know them.

steve naulty
So do you know the names or not. If so you should no how many. I put the NO in to get under your skin.
Old 07-18-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Geez, some of the posts here are as nasty as the ones on Cruisers Forum. Cool off guys. Shalom.
Old 07-18-2012

dnf777 is on a distinguished road

I have a better solution. Everybody on my boat should just think *exactly* like me, and do everything as perfectly and flawlessly as I do. Then, I won't even have to worry about barking orders in the proper vernacular, they will just always do the right thing without being told. Does everyone agree?

Tongue out of cheek now....I think this all depends on with whom you are sailing. A wordsmith, author, or aspiring (or is it aspirating?) sailor may warrant more proper word usage. A person wondering if they're going to be late picking up junior at soccer practice after this silly boat ride thingy, probably won't tolerate many corrections, and just want to pull whichever damn string gets them back to their Honda the quickest.

People will easily sort themselves out. I personally think that learning proper terminology, and using it correctly, is the mark of professionalism, or in the case of hobby sailing, dedication to excellence. If someone is not so dedicated, or is content to strive for mediocrity, then its not worth correcting them, and that's perfectly ok. If they want to learn, that will be apparent.

Good thread in any case.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by dnf777; 07-18-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Tags
nautical language , terminology , yelling