Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: New guy with dumb questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
No, it means they're not really dumb, because they are smart enough to ask. Really dumb people don't ask questions, they just ask you to hold their beer.
Hey man can you hold my beer for sec?

After reading through Sailnet I need to go and remove my furler and my engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Do you really want to climb the mast? Are you planning on doing it often? On small boats with deck stepped masts (in other words the mast doesn't go through the deck to the inside of the boat) it is usually easier to take the mast down to work on it then hang there in mid air. On bigger boats - and keel stepped masts - it may be easier to climb (e.g. be winched up - which is not an easy thing if you are a typical adult male for the guy on the winch - a lot of us use the anchor windless for power.) For those of us who single hand and do offshore sailing a frequent solution is to install steps on the mast or use a climber (basically a device that allows you to haul yourself up) in case something goes wrong when you are at sea that you have to fix. Or just to go up and sit on the spreaders to enjoy the view.

With respect to older boats - go down to the FL Keys - you will find hundreds (I am sorry to say) abandoned fiberglass boats that go back to the early seventies.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Old 07-17-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

A 27-foot boat is usually right at the cusp of the mast climbing verses mast lowering tradeoff. Much smaller and the boat gets too "tippy" with someone near the top of the mast. Much larger and raising/lowering the mast can be a real chore (and somewhat dangerous to boot). If you decide to climb the mast be very very careful. The fall is no big deal, but that sudden stop at the end is a real bitch. If you decide to lower the mast be very very careful. Everything has to be rigged properly, and you really need to do everything in just the right sequence once you get up to that size of a boat/mast. Screwing up during the mast raising/lowering is probably less likely to result in serious injury than falling from the mast, but it is very likely to rip a hole (or holes) in the deck if the mast topples over to the side.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-17-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, it means they're not really dumb, because they are smart enough to ask. Really dumb people don't ask questions, they just ask you to hold their beer.
Huh?.....what?......did you say something?....

Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-17-2012

pilotman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick replies....

Yes, I'm referring to fiberglass boats. And while I may have dumb questions, I'm smart enough to stay away from wood boats

It just got to the point where some of the stuff I was reading made it seem like every boat out there that was older than 10 years old was absolute junk... I've mostly owned older boats myself and have had zero issues with hulls. Then again I've never kept a boat in full time. Just wondering why I never heard these lamentations before....

And the mast thing is a funny question, but I've broken just about anything on a boat that can be broken, and I've repaired quite a few things on (and IN) the water. But when there's something hanging out 40 feet in the air I couldn't happen to wonder "well what happens if something up there breaks?"
Old 07-17-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what forums you are reading, but my overall impression of sailnet....there's a lot of us with older boats here and I don't recall any "old boat bashing".
My boat is an '87 and I would guess, the typical sailnetter boat is in the 10-20 year range. Obviously some are newer and some are older and some, a lot older.
Old 07-17-2012

pilotman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
I'm not sure what forums you are reading, but my overall impression of sailnet....there's a lot of us with older boats here and I don't recall any "old boat bashing".
My boat is an '87 and I would guess, the typical sailnetter boat is in the 10-20 year range. Obviously some are newer and some are older and some, a lot older.

sorry... didnt mean this site. that was just an impression i got from reading in general.
Old 07-17-2012

steveg353 is on a distinguished road

1982 34 ODay here and the hull is strong. Don't be as concerned about the age of a solid fiberglass hull but be more concerned about previous owners maintenance.
Well maintained hulls on good old boats will outlive us all.
Old 07-17-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

Quote:
damm bj! sometimes i find myself agreeing with you[in spite of myself].....
Old 07-17-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg353 View Post
Well maintained hulls on good old boats will outlive us all.
Well maintained or not, they will outlive us somewhere. In a yard or at the bottom, they will be there.