Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: A Middle of the Road Cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlP View Post
"To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 2 posts."

Oops...

All this for just 15k.. and with the OP's budget? Sheesh..

1964 Alberg Alberg 30 sailboat for sale in Maryland

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

If you are worried pick a Robert Pearry design like a tayana 37 or valiant 40 or a baba, tashiba or passport. These boats will take you costal or off-shore if your heart desires. Robert is a god in off-shore yatch design, I have heard their are more tayana 37 off shore right now than any other boat. On the other hand I have been on a C&C 34+ in a gale blowing 45 to 50 knots and she was good to go. I own a Beneteau 34 and I would take her down the coast to Mexico in a heart beat, but I have faith in the design just reef earily.
Old 07-20-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Here is a picture of our boat.
Attached Thumbnails
A Middle of the Road Cruiser.-sailing-2012-013.jpg  
Old 07-20-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D View Post
I have heard their are more tayana 37 off shore right now than any other boat.
I have heard the same about Valiant 40s, but in my cruising experience over the last few years there are an astonishing number of Amels out cruising - especially considering their fairly high cost and the small number of them built. We are sitting in a small marina in Darwin waiting for the start of the rally to Indonesia and there are four of them within 250' of me as I type - three are going into Indonesia and onward and one heading down the eastern coast of Oz when the winds switch later in the year.
Marcel D likes this.
Old 07-20-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

1966, Cal 36, newish Yanmar, condition good, marine a.c., needs new hallyards, nice gimble oven/ stove. Po's loved boat and it show's $13,000. (Not as nice as the above Alberg)

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-20-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Oops...

All this for just 15k.. and with the OP's budget? Sheesh..
Not to highjack the thread, but since there is a boat advertisement in the middle of it I will jump in.

Chris that is a sweet boat, you have done a fantastic job, and if it was anywhere near me we might be having a conversation that could please both of us. But alas, no.

But at least tell us you are sailing her once in a while this summer! A little wind and water shouldn't hurt the shine too much, and if you took some friends out with you, you might have a sale by the time you got back to the dock.
Old 07-20-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
Not to highjack the thread, but since there is a boat advertisement in the middle of it I will jump in.

Chris that is a sweet boat, you have done a fantastic job, and if it was anywhere near me we might be having a conversation that could please both of us. But alas, no.

But at least tell us you are sailing her once in a while this summer! A little wind and water shouldn't hurt the shine too much, and if you took some friends out with you, you might have a sale by the time you got back to the dock.
Thanks

Haven't truly sailed her at all. Had the main up briefly once, about four months ago. Sad huh?
Old 07-20-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

A marina neighbor of mine spent 17 years cruising the Pacific coast of Mexico in a Catalina 30. He survived 3 hurricanes, 2 through the eye, at anchor. He wrote a couple books that are on Amazon.com called A Touch Of Salsa and one about heavy weather anchoring tecniques. His name is Richard Dumas.
Old 07-20-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I have heard the same about Valiant 40s, but in my cruising experience over the last few years there are an astonishing number of Amels out cruising - especially considering their fairly high cost and the small number of them built. We are sitting in a small marina in Darwin waiting for the start of the rally to Indonesia and there are four of them within 250' of me as I type - three are going into Indonesia and onward and one heading down the eastern coast of Oz when the winds switch later in the year.
An Amel of the vintage he is looking at will be double ++ his budget.

Pity as it is what I would choose given a boat budget of 250k.
Old 07-20-2012

sailor wench is on a distinguished road

I don't blame you one bit for not wanting a production boat, especially if you are considering a newer boat. The fiberglass in the hulls of the newer production boats (Hunters, Catalinas) is SO thin that I don't trust it at all. I've actually been out on both of these brands of boats, owned by friends, and actually have seen the hulls oil can, which is scary. Production boats are built quickly and unfortunately, cheaply. They do not hold up well either.
As far as "middle of the road"....If you don't want to spend a fortune on a Hinkley or Island Packett, both of which are excellent boats, then I would go with an older boat. Several brands such as C & C, Alburg, Endeavor, and Irwins are all very well made boats and are not mass produced boats. Endeavors, especially, were made to order, to the specifications of the buyer. All of these boats have thick, usually hand laid, solid fiberglass hulls that are not cored with another material. Alot of them also have solid fiberglass decks (not cored), so usually, if they have been properly maintained, are still in very good to excellent condition even after 20 or 30 years. The thing is to get one that has already underwent a refit (has had wiring, plumbing, and electrical navagation equipment upgraded to modern standards). Also, be sure to do a sea trial and to get a professional survey, no matter how good things "look". Older boats also generally have more wood than newer boats, especially teak. The interiors of older boats generally have SOLID teak (& alot of it), not a thin vaneer over who knows what and same goes for the exterior, solid teak, not some type of space age plastic composite or whatever.
The boats I've mentioned usually hold more of their value than the production boats because of the quality of their construction. They were built before wood was endangered and when the use of fiberglass was still relatively new, so not knowing how it would hold up, they made structures much thicker than they do now, they made them to last and they have. It seems now, most everything is meant to be disposable and there is simply no craftsmanship in the newer boats, unless you do go high end.
There are several good places to find such boats. Oriental, NC is a good area. The boats outnumber people there 3:1. Also, Charleston, SC has a good selection. Try to find a one owner boat, if possible, maximum of two and never buy a boat that has been chartered out. Annapolis, MD has a good selection of older boats, but you will pay more for them there than in the other places I mentioned.
Everyone has their own opinions and I truly did not intend to offend anyone that does own a production boat and sincerely hope that I have not. This is just my personal opinion from 10 years of experience in boating. You should consider everyone's input.
I wish you luck in your search and hope you will find something that will bring you and your wife many years of pleasure. Happy hunting!
Marcel D likes this.