Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: A Middle of the Road Cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Brian,

I do not feel what you wrote was a dish on Bene/jene or Hunter. My point, change out where you said Catalina, put in Jeanneau, and one would have similar thoughts etc from an owner of that brand. All three have plus's and minus's. My wife luv's to go in two C420mkII's in our YC that folks have. Personally, not fully enamored with them for various and sundry reasons. BUT, if one was put in my slip, that is IF it could fit into my 32' slip that is, I would be happy. Reality is, even Jeanneau has fallen away from the cruise/race into the race/cruise catagory of boats with the deletion of the sunfast line, to a performance cruiser, not quite what I want from a boat performance equal. Catalina does seem to be updating the line some with the last few boat redo's etc. Still not as performance oriented as I would like. I would go with a Bene first series if buying one of these brands today new.

All are GOOD boats for what the OP wants to do! One brand that just crossed my mind not mentioned so far, is J-boat. "SOME" of them make reasonable cruisers also. Others like the 105 would not.

marty
For me, recent vintage C&C's (and some of their older designs like the 37+) strike the most reasonable balance between comfortable cruising and sailing performance.

The 40+ foot First series boats are nice also but the 36.7 and 40.7, are just a tad sparse in the saloon for me if cruising were the focus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2012

sailor wench is on a distinguished road

To the Catalina owner who posted a reply regarding Endeavors.....First of all I was NOT trying to insult Catalina owners in ANY way....the question that was originally asked included that they didn't feel that Catalinas, Hunters, and one other brand were safe enough for THEM.

The specific Endeavor I am speaking of is the 1979 model, which has a hand laid, solid fiberglass hull and solid fiberglass decks, not the materials you mentioned.

And I have been out on friend's Catalinas and Hunters and seen both of their hulls oil can, which means they have relatively thin hulls. Older boats generally do have thicker hulls, that's a well known fact because when fiberglass was first being used as a building material in boats, they were uncertain how it would hold up and they made the hulls thicker, too thick in some cases, just to be certaiin it would be safe. You can look that up if you do not believe me.

Again, it was NOT my intention to offend ANYONE, especially Catalina, Hunter, or the other brand of boat the question mentioned. I was only attempting to answer the man's question as honestly as I could from the experiences I have had personally.
Old 07-22-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor wench View Post
To the Catalina owner who posted a reply regarding Endeavors.....First of all I was NOT trying to insult Catalina owners in ANY way....the question that was originally asked included that they didn't feel that Catalinas, Hunters, and one other brand were safe enough for THEM.

The specific Endeavor I am speaking of is the 1979 model, which has a hand laid, solid fiberglass hull and solid fiberglass decks, not the materials you mentioned.

And I have been out on friend's Catalinas and Hunters and seen both of their hulls oil can, which means they have relatively thin hulls. Older boats generally do have thicker hulls, that's a well known fact because when fiberglass was first being used as a building material in boats, they were uncertain how it would hold up and they made the hulls thicker, too thick in some cases, just to be certaiin it would be safe. You can look that up if you do not believe me.

Again, it was NOT my intention to offend ANYONE, especially Catalina, Hunter, or the other brand of boat the question mentioned. I was only attempting to answer the man's question as honestly as I could from the experiences I have had personally.
You didnt offend me at all. Hope i did not you either.

Do u know the model and year of the catalina? This is a first for me.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-26-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

During my transit to Cadiz I remembered two more things:

You absolutely want a transmit/receive AIS on board. It will lower, but not eliminate the chance of getting hit by a ship (see my blog for why I said lower.

Most surveyors do not survey the rig or the engine. Yet they are the two most expensive things to fix. Talk to your surveyor when you choose your boat. If he doesn't climb the rig (assuming the mast is up) you need to get some who will. I have used three different people - general, rig, and engine - before purchasing a boat.

Good luck

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.