Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012

pulsar123 is on a distinguished road
A Middle of the Road Cruiser.

Hi there.

My wife and I are retiring shortly. We want to give up our Catalina 27 are start some serious Costal Cruising. I'm talking about the Coastal North America, the Carribean and Pana Canal. We are not interested in Ocean crossings.

Although there are plenty of Catalina/Hunter/Beneteau boats doing this, I don't feel they are safe enough for me. I'm willing to spend extra money to get something sufficienty safe, but don't want to pay more than I need to.

Of course a Pacific Seacraft, Island Packet and Contessa would fit the bill, but, it's probably twice the price.

Is there something middle of the road?

Are there any cruisers in the range of 32-35 feet that are clearly more seaworthy and safe than Catalina/Hunter/Beneteau, but not necesarily as extravagant as the Pacific Seacraft, Island Packet and Contessa type?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: A Middle of the Road Cruiser.

Yes, and way cheaper than you think.

See my sig please.
Old 07-18-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Next step up in quality would be boats like Sabre, Tartan, CS and Cal. However I see no reason why a larger Catalina or Beneteau wouldn't be perfectly fine for what you propose. Condition and preparation are more important than the manufacturer.
waterwks4me and Cherp like this.
Old 07-18-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Next step up in quality would be boats like Sabre, Tartan, CS and Cal. However I see no reason why a larger Catalina or Beneteau wouldn't be perfectly fine for what you propose. Condition and preparation are more important than the manufacturer.
Comparing similar vintage Tartan/Sabre's to any of the big 3 and you are probably looking at about double the price. CS's I'd agree may be built to somewhat higher standards, but I'm not sure I'd throw Cal in that group.

If we start comparing older boats like a Tartan 37's and Cal 39's to a newer BeneHuntalina, then condition starts to matter more than pedigree in my opinion.

As you say, a mid sized or larger BeneHuntalina, is capable of the OP's mission and the same money will buy you a much newer boat, which will likely require less maintenance budget.

I'd say Caliber should be in the mix as well, as I'd say they are as good or better than an IP.
Old 07-18-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I would go with an Ericson 35-3. We used to have one and loved it. Would be perfect for your intended use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-18-2012

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road

Do you have a particular size and budget in mind?

If you're interested in a CS 36, you'll find a lot of them to choose from. If you're considering selling it again in a few years, that might not be a good thing.
Old 07-18-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar123 View Post
Hi there.

My wife and I are retiring shortly. We want to give up our Catalina 27 are start some serious Costal Cruising. I'm talking about the Coastal North America, the Carribean and Pana Canal. We are not interested in Ocean crossings.

Although there are plenty of Catalina/Hunter/Beneteau boats doing this, I don't feel they are safe enough for me. I'm willing to spend extra money to get something sufficienty safe, but don't want to pay more than I need to.

Of course a Pacific Seacraft, Island Packet and Contessa would fit the bill, but, it's probably twice the price.

Is there something middle of the road?

Are there any cruisers in the range of 32-35 feet that are clearly more seaworthy and safe than Catalina/Hunter/Beneteau, but not necesarily as extravagant as the Pacific Seacraft, Island Packet and Contessa type?

Thanks.
What would be your ideal budget?

Incidentally, the cruising grounds you are discussing are exactly what Catalina and Benes are good at. Not sure why anyone would want a shoe box for that cruising ground. But I digress.

I have a few favorites (outside Catalina and Bene/Jeaun) but it all depends on budget.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-18-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Up grade to the Catalina 36, use the money you'd save on something flashier to explore the cruising grounds you are going to sail to....Latitude 38 had an interesting article on a couple with 2 kids who bought a well outfitted Catalina 36 for 25K and are cruising the West Coast of Mexico and having the time of their lives.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-18-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

What I read from the OP's question, and what would interest me is, what are the boats in the price range just above the BeneHuntalina strata that are 'safer'. In my mind that would include ultimate stability, motion in a seaway, etc.
Old 07-18-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

C&C 34+ actually 35.5 feet LOA. Interior design was way ahead of it's time IMHO (whatever that's worth). Can be found listed for less than 90K.

I'm not knocking any of the big three, just that it would be near the top of my list.

Last edited by RobGallagher; 07-18-2012 at 10:23 AM.