Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Looked at a boat last night...Update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmeans View Post
It's unbelievable to me how people can let boats get so destroyed...The boat I looked at was posted on craigslist...1986 Catalina 27 with a Universal Diesel that needs some "TLC" because of being on land for 6 years....They were asking $5000...I'm pretty young and don't have a ton of money, but sailing is in my blood and am willing to put some work into it, to get it on the water...I pull up to the house where the boat is and I got pretty excited...nice looking Cataliina....That's just filthy on the outside from 6 New England winters...I meet the owner and we climb on board...Nice Edson wheel...Winches are in great shape...All deck hardware looks good...Now here's where it get's interesting....The owner opens up the companionway and mildew galore, i see a puddle of water under the v berth, can't even open the door to the head because of the humidity...Maybe all the wood inside is salvageable? Certainly needs a good sanding....Mold everywhere...

We weren't able to get the engine to crank or do anything on shore power (battery's were totally dead after 6 years) so the status of the engine is totally unknown...I hadn't expected it to start with 6 year old fuel, but knowing that it wasn't siezed would make it worth the risk...

So I left disappointed, but knowing that taking a power washer to the whole damn boat and doing a lot of scrubbing would take care of much of the cosmetic issues I decided to make a low ball offer this morning...

The owner has health issues which is why it has been out of the water for so long...I'd say 90% of anybody looking at the boat will see the interior and turn away immediately...So, knowing that i'm willing to put in the elbow grease, i replied to our email chain with a $1000 dollar as-is offer...Keep in mind, they were only asking 5k to begin with...There are a ton of unknowns with this boat...I'm sure i can make it cosmetically appealing, so even if i get stuck with the engine being junk, i'm sure i can dump the boat for $2k with a good clean up...I see them going for 10-15k in good condition...Is this a good gamble?
Put this site on your list: Albin Vega 27 sailboats for sale. Fine small yachts to take you anywhere

Solid boats and a good investment. THey have a big following. And the short answer (opinion) to your above post is spend more to get a better boat. THe costs of refitting some boats are extraordinary. Like a dog, the least amount of money you spend on her will be the day you buy her.

My opinions.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Look here too:

Albin sailboats for sale by owner.

THere is a member here (Vega1860) that is a huge fan of these boats and regularly sails it to Hawaii and further. You can cruise on that boat, not just live aboard it. I have found him very knowledgeable and respect his opinions. You could try to discuss this vessel(s) with him.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 07-18-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2012

Tanley is on a distinguished road

Doesn't sound like too good of a deal to me. As others have said, too many unknowns. What you do know is reason enough to walk. $5K can get a decent boat, and anything you buy will have you working away this fall and winter.

The market is really soft right now so everything is negotiable. Good luck with whatever you decide, but I'd keep looking. That boat isn't going anywhere and at least you'll have something to compare.

Just did a 15 sec search on Craigslist and found the following:

27.5' sailboat with mooring -make offer

27' Catalina sailboat

1980 Catalina 27 Tall rig Diesel- Fresh water until 2011

27 'Ericson Sail Boat
Old 07-18-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmeans View Post
To answer a few of the questions...I'll be storing the boat in my yard and working on it over the fall/winter...Cost to haul it here will only be about $300 dollars. I expect to put a few thousand into it...I can do most of the work myself....So unless i have to hire a diesel mechanic...all labor will be done by me. The wood isn't delaminating, except for the wood that covers the ice box...Everything else is teak and I think a good sanding will get the mildew off...

I wish I had more money and could get a boat that was more ship-shape...So unless anybody is looking for an IT guy with 5 years of experience that wants to pay me 100k, i'm looking for a bargain fixer upper!
This is huge. Sails and rigging are not cheap.

If you like working on boats (I do) go for it. But I doubt it will be ready for next summer, unless you are single and single minded and all you do is work on this boat every weekend and most days after work. I wish I could.

Take the estimated time and cost for each project and double them, that will be closer to reality.

If it were me I would rip out the entire interior, bulkheads and everything, and start fresh. I would re-do the sump, add a grid over the keel if it doesn't have one, reinforce the mast step, and so on. Read up on Dave Gerr "elements of boat strength". You wind up with a bullet proof boat, if done right lighter than original, stronger and with exactly the accomodations you want. Buuuuuut.... this would cost at least $1,000 in just epoxy/foam/plywood, not counting cushions galley etc., and would take you some serious time to do. Might take less time than trying to refurbish everything though, esp if it is all as far gone as you say it is. When done you would know your boat inside and out, and be very proud of it too.

Explain the situation to the owner, show him other boats nearby selling for 5K and the shape they are in, and tell him $1,000 is generous. I think it is. Costs that much just to dispose of a boat like this.
Old 07-18-2012

noelex77 is on a distinguished road

Try turning the engine over by hand with a spanner on the fly wheel. It will at least tell you if it's sized and you can get a rough impression of the compression.

Better than nothing anyway
Old 07-18-2012

jfdubu is on a distinguished road

CK, if your bid is accepted your only known big risk is the engine. Before you write the check make sure the engine spins either with a flesh battery or by hand. You should be able to hold the compression release and spin the motor with a wrench. If you use a battery, you nare also checking the starter and started curcuit. Good to know but not a deal breaker. If the motor doesn't spin you are looking at a 3-5K repair/rebuild unless you can DIY. All the other systems, working or not should be thoroughly checked out and made operational but are not deal breakers.

If you bring a battery and get the motor started the owner may well say not thanks to the 1K, its now worth the 5K he's asking.

My 2 cents

John
Old 07-18-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Nobody is going to say a Boat X is NOT a much better built boat BUT a huge amount of the money goes into fine art grade woodwork that is so nice your scared to use the boat

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-18-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

If the chainplates attach the same way they do on my boat, you may have to buy several sheets of marine ply to replace the bulkheads to make it safe to sail.

As for the motor, if it turns out to be crap you could always get a used kicker bracket and outboard for around $500 and slap it on the transom.
Old 07-18-2012

Southcoasting is on a distinguished road

Nowadays, you can find a good to be true deal if you're patient and wait for the boat you really want...

For me, my boat found me at way below value and I got to sail her right away

Of course, I have and will be doing small things to make her more comforting for us but people generally do that anyways when they buy a used boat...For me, I had to do maintenance chores to the Atomic 4 to make sure she runs good, install solar, install radio, paint bottom, polish topsides, clean up the mildew-ed teak and apply starbright oil...

I think the key when buying a used boat is that you wanna sail now is making sure all major points are in working order...Everything else is part of routine maintenance...

Mine had the leaky/rotted chainplates already redone (normal on T27s), newer sails, rebuilt freshwater Atomic 4, thruhulls replaced, paint in decent shape, roller furling, 2 speed self tailing winches, cushions re-done at some point with newer exterior cushions, newer gas lines, and interior/exterior in respectable condition...Actually got more than I wanted for $2500 as I was looking at true fixer uppers at that price point...I got lucky but then again, have seen some great deals out there where many can get lucky too

Cost to deliver it was about $500 about 2 hours away...

The deck paint is not in the best shape but not horrible either...The inside is respectable with some flaking here and there but nothing crazy...So like I said, nothing that routine maintenance can't fix...as long as I could sail it for years to come without sacrificing my life to do so made a huge difference for me...

For others, that may not be their path as some choose to start with a hull and re-work everything...Nothing bad about that as I love seeing people do that and it gives you a true sense of ownership...you will also know the boat will probably outlast you after rebuilding and fixing all the problem areas...Decision is yours though!
Old 07-18-2012

pilotman is on a distinguished road

I may be new to sailing, but I'm not new to boats. I tried what you are trying and it sucks. I don't mind working on boats either but I like at least a punch list.

Your post resonated with me because ive got my "mistake" for sale right now.... And I'm really just selling the trailer....
eherlihy likes this.