Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Looked at a boat last night...Update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
Your post resonated with me because ive got my "mistake" for sale right now.... And I'm really just selling the trailer....
Bwahaha! THat is the quote of the thread right there.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2012

ckmeans is on a distinguished road

Update: Owner replied to my email offer stating that they're going to go purchase a new battery in hopes they can get the motor started...My hope is that it turns over but won't start to leave me with a bit of negotiating power...I think I've convinced myself that this is a "mistake" I can take on easily enough...But, it will likely turn into a money pit that destroys my life...
Old 07-18-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

My boat was in similiar condition when I purchased it for $1k. Three years of working every weekend and about $8000 later, it's pretty nice.

I know every part of the boat, inside and out. BUT, I could have done a lot of sailing the past three years.
Old 07-18-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmeans View Post
Update: Owner replied to my email offer stating that they're going to go purchase a new battery in hopes they can get the motor started...My hope is that it turns over but won't start to leave me with a bit of negotiating power...I think I've convinced myself that this is a "mistake" I can take on easily enough...But, it will likely turn into a money pit that destroys my life...
That is a good place to be, thinking it is a mistake. Figure in the used prices for the deck hardware, and scrap value on the ballast and motor and don't give more than that. If it does not start ask them for $1000 to remove it from there property. You might not loose too much on that deal.

Also depends on your personal standards. Are you willing to settle on lawn furniture cushions on your settee? If so you might have fun sailing it for a while, then scraping it. Just remember there are thousands out there in that kind of shape, so figure you will not be able to sell this one, and will wind up having to scrap it when you are done with it.
Old 07-18-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Wish we could start a poll about whether CKMEANS should buy the boat or not.
Should CK buy the boat?
O no
O yes
O run away
O the owner should pay CK to take it away.
Old 07-18-2012

pilotman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmeans View Post
Honestly the fact that they didn't even try to start the motor in the first place means they know EXACTLY what they have, but your offer was like reality slapping them in the face. (that's not a bad thing) They put the patina of "fixer upper" on there because they want to get some money out of it.

I know exactly what I have, and that's a good newish trailer and a boat that is good for parting out at best. I'm sure if some resourceful individual wanted to fix it up, they could. But I was perfectly honest in my assessment/ad and all but told people to send me low ball offers.

When I bought it a few years ago I had the attitude "yeah, I can fix this and that and the other" but when I started getting into it, it was looking more like the family tree of boat problems. Life got in the way and by the time I got around to selling it... I was embarrassed. I couldn't do anything but ask myself "wow, really?"

Of course I'm not in your shoes, so good luck either way.
Old 07-18-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
Honestly the fact that they didn't even try to start the motor in the first place means they know EXACTLY what they have, but your offer was like reality slapping them in the face. (that's not a bad thing) They put the patina of "fixer upper" on there because they want to get some money out of it.

I know exactly what I have, and that's a good newish trailer and a boat that is good for parting out at best. I'm sure if some resourceful individual wanted to fix it up, they could. But I was perfectly honest in my assessment/ad and all but told people to send me low ball offers.

When I bought it a few years ago I had the attitude "yeah, I can fix this and that and the other" but when I started getting into it, it was looking more like the family tree of boat problems. Life got in the way and by the time I got around to selling it... I was embarrassed. I couldn't do anything but ask myself "wow, really?"

Of course I'm not in your shoes, so good luck either way.
I wonder whether the op has any experience working on boats, and in particular taking on big projects. It's kind of like all those people who dream about "cruising around the world" but have never sailed a boat before. The romance can be more attractive than the reality.

That said, I love taking on projects especially in the winter, it keeps me occupied and interested. Kind of a driving force that always runs in the subconscious, and helps the winters pass by so much more quickly . To each his own.

Still, seriously, $1,000 is a generous offer here. If the owner won't accept move on. Not worth it, there are sooooo many boats out there for cheap. Do a search on this forum for buying a used boat, there are so many ways to get a cheap boat, from marina repossessions to auctions to Craigslist to word of mouth... Patience is required. You were willing to wait a year to go sailing by fixing up this boat, you shoul be willing to wait at least till the fall to pull the trigger n a boat.
Old 07-19-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

How much would you offer for a 1986 Chevy that had been sitting outside with the windows rolled down for SIX years and was full of water ?

This boat is worth scrap value and not one penny more.
50 cents a pound for the keel lead ( after it is removed and delivered to dealer )
A hundred bucks for the deck hardware, removed and cleaned
$25 for the sails
The engine might fetch $30 if removed and delivered to a yard

One also needs to figure how many saw all blades it will take to cut her up and the fees for the dumpster

Even better deal - I'll sell you an entire set of tooling for a 1980s Schock Santana. Dream of a lifetime - build your own boat take only 1,500 man hours. That would be less time than you will spend on the Cat 27 project boat. You'd have a brand new boat !

Last edited by WDS123; 07-19-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

I disagree with WDS any boat is worth saving I purchased a captiva 240 out of Michigan for 3000.00 Us. I put 1 year of work in to her fiber glass repairs and rebeading deck hard ware and toe rails, and varnishing. I sailed her for 4 years and sold her for a 14500.00. She was in great shape and gleamed like a new boat.
Old 07-19-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Wds is that the santana 23 with water ballast? No I bet not that was mid 1990 how much would you want for those molds?