Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012

ckmeans is on a distinguished road
Looked at a boat last night...Update.

It's unbelievable to me how people can let boats get so destroyed...The boat I looked at was posted on craigslist...1986 Catalina 27 with a Universal Diesel that needs some "TLC" because of being on land for 6 years....They were asking $5000...I'm pretty young and don't have a ton of money, but sailing is in my blood and am willing to put some work into it, to get it on the water...I pull up to the house where the boat is and I got pretty excited...nice looking Cataliina....That's just filthy on the outside from 6 New England winters...I meet the owner and we climb on board...Nice Edson wheel...Winches are in great shape...All deck hardware looks good...Now here's where it get's interesting....The owner opens up the companionway and mildew galore, i see a puddle of water under the v berth, can't even open the door to the head because of the humidity...Maybe all the wood inside is salvageable? Certainly needs a good sanding....Mold everywhere...

We weren't able to get the engine to crank or do anything on shore power (battery's were totally dead after 6 years) so the status of the engine is totally unknown...I hadn't expected it to start with 6 year old fuel, but knowing that it wasn't siezed would make it worth the risk...

So I left disappointed, but knowing that taking a power washer to the whole damn boat and doing a lot of scrubbing would take care of much of the cosmetic issues I decided to make a low ball offer this morning...

The owner has health issues which is why it has been out of the water for so long...I'd say 90% of anybody looking at the boat will see the interior and turn away immediately...So, knowing that i'm willing to put in the elbow grease, i replied to our email chain with a $1000 dollar as-is offer...Keep in mind, they were only asking 5k to begin with...There are a ton of unknowns with this boat...I'm sure i can make it cosmetically appealing, so even if i get stuck with the engine being junk, i'm sure i can dump the boat for $2k with a good clean up...I see them going for 10-15k in good condition...Is this a good gamble?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Looked at a boat last night...Update.

Hey,

Do you want to work on a boat or sail a boat? If you have time, skill, and enjoy working on boats, this particular boat may be a good choice. If not, you should be able to find something in 'ready to sail'* condition for under $5K that will get you out on the water NOW.

* 'ready to sail' doesn't mean perfect. It means the boat will have all necessary safety gear, functional sailing gear, etc. It will need some work to be 'pretty' but all boats need work.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-18-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

How much to move the boat to where you want her? Is it free storage? Was the wood de-laminating? Did you read and follow the suggested thread on boat inspections?
Just how much time do you have to work on her? What about sails, cushions, batteries (starting and house) shore power, running and standing rigging? Did you inspect the keel bolts?
Old 07-18-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Maybe.

Sorry, but there are too many unknowns. It might take you months to sell it at 2K. How much is that gonna cost?

YOU will have to put some time and elbow grease into this BEFORE you buy it. Ask if you can spend a day or two on the boat, try to get the engine started, test some systems yourself, go over the boat with a fine tooth comb, make a list, check it twice, bring a Defender catalog and price things out.

Dream all you want but I'm gonna guess that you will put 4K into this boat before you know it... or you could spend 5K up front and go sailing.

I just spent approx 30K on a boat in good shape and still spent a minimum of 2K at Defender and WestMarine.

Best of luck to you either way
Old 07-18-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

IF the motor is BAD the boat has negitive VALUE and you have many other costly issues going on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-18-2012

To answer a few of the questions...I'll be storing the boat in my yard and working on it over the fall/winter...Cost to haul it here will only be about $300 dollars. I expect to put a few thousand into it...I can do most of the work myself....So unless i have to hire a diesel mechanic...all labor will be done by me. The wood isn't delaminating, except for the wood that covers the ice box...Everything else is teak and I think a good sanding will get the mildew off...

I wish I had more money and could get a boat that was more ship-shape...So unless anybody is looking for an IT guy with 5 years of experience that wants to pay me 100k, i'm looking for a bargain fixer upper!
Old 07-18-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Me personally.....I'm not buying a fixer upper project boat again.

Been there, done that. Lesson learned.

I'm spending the money (not THAT much more) on a ready to go boat next time.

Never again will I buy someone else's problems. The experience was a good one, as it taught me alot about repairing marine systems and I know my boat really well, but next time I'm going sailing instead.
cb32863 likes this.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 07-18-2012

Also, I unrolled the sails, they were in good shape. Cushions were all stored inside, they were in fair condition, batteries were junk, but shore power worked fine...Keel bolts looked good...The rigging looked to be in good condition as well...
Old 07-18-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

$300 to haul her? Is the boat on a trailer? If not how do you propose to get her on a trailer and you have a tow vehicle big enough? Haul a battery up into the boat and try to start her. If the engine is seized, RUN AWAY!

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

1986 is a GREY area on the keel sump as till about then they used a plwwood core sump

I spent 1K just on jackstands and while you may do better you need something that will hold the boat up and can be moved as you do repiars

There are two temperatures for fixing boats to hot and to cold and every once in a while its comfortable

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat