Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree73Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: SailNet. It ain't what it used to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
The amount of knowledge and experience that this site offered allowed my own knowledge expand exponentially.

As my sailing experience has grown, however, I'm finding that SN doesn't satisfy my needs as well as it used.
This is another interesting aspect of it all. At the beginning, virtually every single thread contains something we can learn. Then, over time, few and fewer threads have this - because we already "know these things" (or think we do). Or we just get tired of talking about specific things.

But what does that mean? Has the forum really lost its value?

I've seen lots of complaints over the years from long-time members that "the same questions are asked over and over again". What's the expectation here? What's the forum supposed to become in their minds?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

New people are important. But just as important is maintaining the "old salts" that are very knowledgeable and can give good advice. I think many of the old salts can get turned off when they post something in which they may be considered experts and get called down on it by others with little real world knowledge on the subject. Same true with the 'google kings' or (as S/V Auspicious puts it) 'Cut and Paste sailors'.

You know, when I first started sailing, I knew I didn't know anything . THen after a few years of it, I thought I knew everything. And now, however many years later, I know I don't know everything!! I generally find I can learn something new every day. I have also learned a lot on here through others experiences. I have also gotten burnt out of here due to personalities.

Now, I just try to remember that this isn't real. It is the internet. It does not mean you cannot make real friends here, but always keep in mind that some people will say and do things on the internet they would never do in person. It took years, but I mostly have learned to tune those people out.

All in all, Sailnet is a good place. We try to keep it pretty civil. We fail sometimes, but that is just life. And remember, Sailnet is a forum which is made of of members. It can only be as good as the members. If you don't like it, make it better or you have no one but yourself to blame.

My opinions.

Brian
BayWindRider and HDChopper like this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-19-2012

pyewackette is on a distinguished road

It's the economy stupid (I mean that in a nice way). There is no hope, even for the dream of sailing. I mean really. The price of everything is ridiculous. If you dream of sailing away to some far off land, you'll get mugged. If you don't get mugged then some government will hound you.

The stories on these boards are old news. There is nothing fresh. How can there be, everything is tied up in the hopelessness of the world. Nobody has any money to dream. Every other boat in my marina has a for sale sign on it.

I use to go down to the marina at the evening time just to sit on my boat and dream. But now, since the price of gas is so high the power boaters stay at the dock and blare their radios.

The morons running this world are destroying everything. Oh, and lets not get started about the bank scandals that keep growing and growing. Even the foundations of society are falling apart and you wonder why no one writes interesting things on a sailing forum.

Something has got to change. And all you who hope in this or that political party to make things better. WAKE UP. YOUR SAILING DREAMS ARE GOING DOWN THE DRAIN!!!
Old 07-19-2012
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Don't post much here anymore. For a site to be interesting it needs a cadre of fairly experienced sailors posting on a variety of subjects. Some good back and forth discussion. This group seems to have gone. I only post in the summer as I'm cruising in the winter and am not really concerned with having an internet connection all the time. Being "away" and coming back after six months I have noticed that the site is different. Not something that I can put my finger on but it is different and not as stimulating as before.
SVAuspicious and chef2sail like this.

Old 07-19-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

It seems like there is a "five year arc" that many members fall into. After 5 years, the shine wears off and they start dropping out.

I guess that can be a good thing (i.e. - they actually go sailing and stop posting like you Vasco). Or it can be a not so good thing (i.e. - they just get bored...or worse, political). Heh-heh.

Good viewpoints.

(PS - My 5 years are almost up.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-19-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Another option is all the people who want to sail the world on $1 a day and a boat costing as much find that it might actually take some work and so move on to another endeavor.

Just a guess based on the hordes of people who return to the forum saying it worked out just like they thought it would.
wingNwing likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-19-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE

(PS - My 5 years are almost up.)[/QUOTE]

i expect mine has been up for a while,but "its too hot for golf,too hot to fish .....",btw am i wrong that sailnet makes money each time someone clicks on this site?in addition to exposeure to their store?
Old 07-19-2012
Working for next Boat

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyewackette View Post
It's the economy stupid (I mean that in a nice way). There is no hope, even for the dream of sailing. I mean really. The price of everything is ridiculous. If you dream of sailing away to some far off land, you'll get mugged. If you don't get mugged then some government will hound you.

The stories on these boards are old news. There is nothing fresh. How can there be, everything is tied up in the hopelessness of the world. Nobody has any money to dream. Every other boat in my marina has a for sale sign on it.

I use to go down to the marina at the evening time just to sit on my boat and dream. But now, since the price of gas is so high the power boaters stay at the dock and blare their radios.

The morons running this world are destroying everything. Oh, and lets not get started about the bank scandals that keep growing and growing. Even the foundations of society are falling apart and you wonder why no one writes interesting things on a sailing forum.

Something has got to change. And all you who hope in this or that political party to make things better. WAKE UP. YOUR SAILING DREAMS ARE GOING DOWN THE DRAIN!!!
can i have your STUFF, i will take your boat, just sign it over, your dream is Dead, mine is not, i will keep you posted as to her location
and sea miles as we go. Mobius
Landgull likes this.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 07-19-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

I would postulate that we've had a steady growth of newbies or boaters with low levels of experience. There has been a steady loss of seasoned voices that provided the most detailed and thorough posts.

I'm amazed by my searches on google that bring up threads/posted as far back as 2002/3/4 on the forums of sailnet. The depth of the responses and the effort to making quality posts from that era is truly impressive.

The only thing I can think of that changed since then is that generation has gone cruising . Or, the face that OT and political forums have driven them off. My feeling is that while OT and Politics forums "pad the numbers"...leave that crap to the anarchy folks and focus on deep, relevant discussions on sailing, cruising, and maintenance.

Last edited by night0wl; 07-19-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2012
Last Man Standing

0wl - can you toss up some links to those posts? I'm interested.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.