Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree73Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
Re: SailNet. It ain't what it used to be?

it ain't no big thing but its growing
Old 07-19-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyewackette View Post
The stories on these boards are old news. There is nothing fresh. How can there be, everything is tied up in the hopelessness of the world. Nobody has any money to dream.
I bet you are a blast at parties...

Seriously, though, when did it take money to dream? Money to do, yes, but not to dream. For me, SN has helped shift from dreaming to doing using less money. I started on this site before I bought a boat and folks on here gave me advice on that process. Just about everything I have had to fix or add to the boat I found some advice on here about how to do it. And some of that advice was actually good.

I think for most of us, sailing is a way to get away from the "hopelessness of the world".

I'll stick around a bit and see if I can pay it forward one day to the next person that excitedly signs on with his/her first "I bought a boat!" post.
Old 07-19-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Some of it in my case is "in the eye of the beholder." Yes, the SN I perceive has changed ... but the time period Smacky is looking at coincides exactly with the time period when I changed from living aboard in a marina and going to my desk job every morning, to when we took the docklines off and became fulltime cruisers. Have the threads changed, or am i just seeing them through different eyes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-19-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Other popular forums seem to have a lot of sailors asking questions about boats; i.e. whats the best anchor/battery/air conditioner; and answers usually come from the members with the expertise to answer very well. A forum needs more than "back-porch" gossip to be interesting. It seems that a lot of folks don't look at posts that are days and months old- who's paying attention to those? Lets check in more often here and comment on posts where we may have some illuminating input............
Old 07-19-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
New people are important. But just as important is maintaining the "old salts" that are very knowledgeable and can give good advice.
The trap is thinking that all posts and the members that make them are created equal. Without those who have credible experience posts on a forum become opinion masquerading as fact.

So here is some opinion:

1. SN should delete all the OT fora. Talk about sailing or go elsewhere.
2. SN should aggressively police the topic fora and ban those who post OT.
3. SN should discourage silly posts that cause thread drift; three strikes and you're out.

If everyone behaved decently we wouldn't need guidelines to become rules. *sigh* Because there are those who get enjoyment from winding others up and being obstructionist rules are beneficial.

When the content value deteriorates all that is left is garbage.

All opinions are not equal. All opinions are not "fact." Cutting and pasting (or worse, making things up) from an armchair is not contributing.

Can *I* have my own thread now? *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-19-2012

dnf777 is on a distinguished road

I see the same pattern Smack pointed out occurring on several other unrelated forums. It seems the ones that can self-police and remain courteous, survive, with their ups and downs in traffic. Ones that become sounding boards for a few know-it-alls, wither. It also seems that those forums with "other" rooms, namely politics, often have significant spill-over effect, and ruin the civility of the main rooms. JMHO.

I wonder how many PhD dissertations are being given on internet forum dynamics?
JimMcGee and chef2sail like this.
Old 07-19-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I think number of hits/visitors has nothing to do with the quality of posts. If you start getting a bunch of political posts that get big hit counts, that in no way indicates that the "sailing forum" is getting better. Another site had a big post on anchors and it got a lot of posts so it was about good information on sailing. And it did not get censored. Lots of the big hit posts around here are becoming more an more political and non sailing related. Not even boating related politics, but more chest thumping right wing verses left wing talk. So I would not look at stats unless you filter out off topic and politics (hard to do as politics seem to creep into the not political threads). I have been here off and on since around 2005 or so. (finally joined up in 2006)
cb32863 likes this.
Old 07-19-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

all i know is i like sailboats,i can sit down with just about anyone[beer or rhum] your choice and have a great conversation,theres just something about the dynamics of forums that bring out the worse in people[go figure] lets just try to do better,plz
Old 07-19-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Hm. I guess I'll throw my opinion in-

First of all, the graph doesn't prove anything. Do you know how many sockpuppets, trolls, spambots etc visit this site? How do you separate the legitimate traffic from the garbage?

Setting that aside, I find that Sailnet has evolved in kind of an odd way. When I first got here, there were some seriously knowledgeable sailors here, but a few of them were... rude, arrogant, confrontational people who dominated the conversations. (I am not referring to the Chefs)

It wasn't worth digging through the BS to get to the nugget of good information at the center, so I left for a while.

Now, the worst of those people have moved on, Sailnet is a much friendlier place to be, but I feel that some real knowledge and experience has been lost, and a lot of the discussion has become inane.

We've got people asking about towing kids at high speeds on inflatable tubes with displacement hull sailboats, for example.

I'd love to have the old knowledge and experience back here, without all the vitriol and nasty attitude that came with it. I'm trying to help fill the gap but face it, no matter how hard I study, and race, and sail, 3.5 years and two sailboats is not enough to be a subject matter expert.

Auspicious Dave has 30 years under his belt. ONE afternoon race with him, taught my crew (and me) a lot. The very light air skills he showed us, litterally saved my bacon at the end of the Solomons Invitational, where the breeze died. I might not have finished before the time limit.

I *hate* the thought of aggressive moderation, but this place just doesn't seem to police itself very well. Maybe it's what we need. I'm still unsure.
JimMcGee and SVAuspicious like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-19-2012

mtlcharlie is on a distinguished road

I am a relative newbie. This site has been a principal source of my preparing for liveaboard. How anyone could look askance at this wonderful community amazes me. I thank the administration and the contributors and I hope this site continues forever, the occasional hothead notwithstanding.
Closed Thread