Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree73Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
SailNet. It ain't what it used to be?

Amongst the sad farewell threads, the terminology/grammar rants, and the other drama-filled epistles that have popped up recently...I've seen a theme that I find really interesting...it goes something like this:

"SN has 'lost something'. It used to be '10 times better than it is now'. That's why I 'don't post much here anymore'. The 'place is dying'."

Since it's being said by several dudes, I suppose their opinions merit some weight.

But, then you look at the stats for the site over the past few years and you see some pretty steady and respectable growth in reach and traffic:

Does that indicate a "dying" site?

I joined SN in August of 2008 (back when both stats were at their lowest point on the chart). But many think that the year or two up to that point were the "Golden Age" of SN...even though the stats definitely don't show that.

So how do you square these two conflicting views?

I think it's this...when people settle into groups that are in full agreement about how "the sailing world should be" (regardless of what that definition is), and when that group grows to a point that it has the "primary voice" on a forum - it becomes their Golden Age. They think the forum is the best it could possibly be - and at its "highest value" as a resource and place to contribute. Yet, the stats show differently. People outside that group lose interest. The forum actually starts to die.

On the other hand, when there is a wide variety of different groups and opinions (even crazy ones) mixing it up - the stats improve, but the Golden Agers start saying that the place "is dying" and "losing its value"...precisely because it's moving away from what their group defined as "perfect".

I've always been of the opinion that the more people you have talking about sailing (in whatever way they want and/or can) the value of everything around it increases dramatically (the forum, the demand, the sport itself, etc.). The more you try to "control" that conversation in one specific way, the more you kill it.

It seems the stats bear that out.

What do you guys think?
Brent Swain likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-19-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48
Re: SailNet. It ain't what it used to be?

Your theory makes sense Smack. People look at the issues and topics being posted as useless or contrived because it doesn't interest them or conflicts with their sailing philosophy.
In the end though, the idea is to share information and experiences with other people who are interested. If there were things on this forum 8 years ago that you thought were more interesting than topics of the day, so be it. But there is still a large audience that is engaging in what it happening here TODAY.
So I think we should ust keep doing what we're doing and continue to grow and the topics and issues will continue to evolve and some will be great and some will be boring but that's just how it goes.

Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 07-19-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

When I started posting here I was a complete neophyte.
The amount of knowledge and experience that this site offered allowed my own knowledge expand exponentially.
I also enjoy the social aspects of the site and generally like the mix of topics.
I occasionally stray into the OT realm, but don't stay too long.
As my sailing experience has grown, however, I'm finding that SN doesn't satisfy my needs as well as it used.
A good example of that, for me, is that recently I posted a Crew Wanted post. A great opportunity for someone to sail in one of the premiere spots in the world. I got a few views and no hits. I even went so far as to PM some members - offer a personal invite. No response.
When I posted a whimsical question about zombies: Whamo!! Hit city!
I can understand how some can get a bit jaded by that kind of thing.
In the summer, when I do all of my sailing (& I sail a lot!) I think I am less active on the site and when I am on, I want to know about sailing.
In the winter, when cabin-fever sets in, then the less-sailing-relevant topics roll out.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 07-19-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

I don't know!I joined sn a couple of years ago,i suppose to just be linked /close to other sailors,and i have gained some knowlege but as a rule most things even i can figure out,given time,I know very well i've said some things that in hindsight i regret,but i learned early on any apology is met with a barage of insults!!![law of the jungle i suppose]show of weakness as it were,I truely hope this forum adjusts and survives but my temperment just won't allow disrespect to me or directed at another member,I thinks it just a sign of the times,people who don't[can't]express themselves in real life situations use forums as some kind of outlet,thanks for your thread smackmedaddy
Old 07-19-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry, but I think my boom has hit me in the head too many times... what do the scales on those charts mean?
Old 07-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
When I started posting here I was a complete neophyte.
The amount of knowledge and experience that this site offered allowed my own knowledge expand exponentially.
I also enjoy the social aspects of the site and generally like the mix of topics.
I occasionally stray into the OT realm, but don't stay too long.
As my sailing experience has grown, however, I'm finding that SN doesn't satisfy my needs as well as it used.
A good example of that, for me, is that recently I posted a Crew Wanted post. A great opportunity for someone to sail in one of the premiere spots in the world. I got a few views and no hits. I even went so far as to PM some members - offer a personal invite. No response.
When I posted a whimsical question about zombies: Whamo!! Hit city!
I can understand how some can get a bit jaded by that kind of thing.
In the summer, when I do all of my sailing (& I sail a lot!) I think I am less active on the site and when I am on, I want to know about sailing.
In the winter, when cabin-fever sets in, then the less-sailing-relevant topics roll out.
fly! your eaxtly right,serious [need to know questions] die very quickly,but the zombie thing was at least humorous

[god rest my exwife]
Old 07-19-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Good post. I know a few politicians (yeah, I know, don't blast me for it!) and regardless of what the facts are, a common thread from them is, "perception IS reality".

In other words, even if the facts say otherwise, if the public perceives an issue to be a certain way, the politician needs to deal with that. Denying the perception will not endear that politician to their constituents.

I guess that syndrome is what exists here. People perceive one thing, and as you show, reality appears to be something else.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 07-19-2012

all I know is whatever happens the scrubs will still be here [gleefully]long after the good netters are gone
Old 07-19-2012

LessTacksing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LessTacksing

Being a neophyte, I have learned alot and what to avoid through the SN forums. I stay out of the OT forum so I do not get worked up.
Old 07-19-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I don't know whether it's getting better, worse, or staying the same. But assuming it is worse, I would have no idea how to make it "better". i think it's one of those things that just happens if you post interesting stuff, ask honest questions, try to stick to substantive stuff, and don't worry about whether the board is getting better.
Closed Thread