Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Funding the sailing lifestyle

this ain't no lifestyle.
This is a life.
Fund it by any ethical and legal means available and live as much of this life as you can afford.
Don't overthink it- make like nike and just do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2012

sailor wench is on a distinguished road

Where you live has an impact on making the lifestyle work. Living on the coast, or at least one of the great lakes, is essential. Also, you need to be able to work with your hands and have some working knowledge of how to work on boats (fiberglass, mechanical, electrical, etc.) If you have these two things covered and already have a boat of your own that is paid for and you can live on, then you can make it happen. However, starting out, you won't be sailing off to the Carribean, you'll be living aboard, most likely on the hook, and working at a marina; boatyard preferably, while you make your boat seaworthy (any repairs, good sail inventory, good nav. equip., etc.). If you live near a major boating area, such as Annapolis, MD, Charleston, SC, or basically anywhere in Florida, that's a plus because most boatyards will start you out at $15-$17/hr. minimum.
If you don't know how to work on boats, many yards will train you but then you will make less money. Also, if you are not happy with the boat you have, being in a yard, you will be suprised how many deals come your way. You may end up being able to upgrade after saving some money.
This is one plan for being able to move aboard your boat.
I also know other people that travel from place to place and secure work in each new place they come to. This, again, is much easier to do if you are able to work on boats. You can arrive, drop the hook, and usually find work at one of the yards if it is a decent size city.
You will have to live on a budget, probably be on the hook, not in a slip, to start off with, and will need to save money. Then you can work 6 to 9 months a year and take the other 3 off to go sailing if you have saved your money and lived frugally. Most yards are used to employees that do this sort of thing.
You really don't need that much money. If you anchor out, use solar or wind power, actually sail instead of motoring....then you are left with boat insurance and yearly registration, which is not that much on a boat your size, and the cost of groceries.
We live on our boat and travel from place to place. Right now we are on the East Coast. It took my husband 4 days after we arrived here to find a job at a yard. He plans to work there until the end of summer and then we will head South for the winter and he will pick up some part time work in Florida at a yard. We anchor out most of the time, buy groceries and cook on board, sail instead of motor, even if that means waiting for the winds to cooperate, we have no need for a car so no expenses there, and we use solar power. We've never been "broke", although things have been tight at times. It just depends on what you are willing to sacrifice to make your dream a reality. Our first year was rough but since then, we've managed to save enough each year to spend a month in the Bahamas.
Just some ideas to think about......I don't know if what works for us would for you but you'll never know unless you try! I wish you the best whatever you decide to do! Good Luck!
Old 07-21-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road

If you want to make it happen, there is always a way. It has nothing to do with how much money you make. In fact I chose to quit my low level job to go cruising, my life is a lot cheaper now, I haven't seen a chain restaurant in 6 months at least... life is pretty good.
utchuckd likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
You're an inspiration, huck.
And a vital part of what makes SN work...

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-21-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

I would advise you to get over the boat envy (and money envy, and car envy, and house envy, etc.) There will ALWAYS be a bigger and nicer boat than yours. Since you told us you're 28, I'll give you some "young man" advice: live your life in such a way that you can meet and talk eye to eye with anyone on this earth without being intimidated by their possessions. If what makes you proud about yourself is your possessions, you're doing something wrong. End of sermon.

In all transactions, think more about risk than cost. It's not the boat that's expensive, it's the debt. High debt (or high contractual obligation, eg slip fees) is high risk.

And never, ever buy a new car.

Last edited by scratchee; 07-23-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2012

dnf777 is on a distinguished road

Hang in there CKMeans! There IS a way, even if that means the timing is not right now. A semi-famous Precision boat author stated that a boat is a collection of compromises.....well, so is life I've discovered. Have you considered a small (ie cheap) trailerable (ie no moorage and in/out hauling fees) sailboat until you can grab and afford the one you really want?

As far as being jealous of those with bigger, nicer boats, let me tell you this coming from someone who has (in my estimation) a nice, big boat:

I'm jealous of the guy with lots of youth and enthusiasm, and a frugal but spiffy, shiny, well-cared for boat that gives his owner much joy and happiness on the water.

Good luck, and you will find a way....
Old 07-21-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

OR you could just do something crazy like live near the water and go sailing every time you feel the urge by yourself or with the like minded friends you make

My 23 year old did followed in are footsteps of being near the water and moved in next to a sailing club

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 07-21-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2012

lapworth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
I would advise you to get over the boat envy (and money envy, and car envy, and house envy, etc.) There will ALWAYS be a bigger and nicer boat than yours. Since you told us you're 28, I'll give you some "young man" advice: live your such in such a way that you can meet and talk eye to eye with anyone on this earth without being intimidated by their possessions. If what makes you proud about yourself is your possessions, you're doing something wrong. End of sermon.
The older I get the more you really understand this. Don't get me wrong I have many toys but the things I enjoy must are kind of free. Sailing,Kayaking,Gardening,walking the dog.
Old 07-21-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

I'm guessing you are single guy...my advice is set a goal and create a plan to get there based on what you earn right now. Once on schedule you will realize things you can do to supplement your current income to speed up the process or increase the size of your objective. Use birth control!
Old 07-21-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

What lasts longer ?
What provides more enjoyment ?

$30,000 Car
or
$20,000 Boat

instead of buying a pricey car - get yourself a boat.
cupper3 likes this.