Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Re: sailboats that don't sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
When it comes to the main sail, unless I'm going to be using it for more than a few hours, I don't put it up since it is such a pain to take down, flake and cover. For shorter sail trips, I often only use the furling jib.
That's not really sailing, is it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2012

methridg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
That's not really sailing, is it?
But it is boating, and that's what's important.
Old 07-20-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

When im on my sailboat sometimes i like to motor. i know on my 16' boat i use to motor a lot with my buddies 2hp. easier and quicker to get to were we wanted to fish. But down wind is a diffrent story. i go faster down wind than the 2 hp could push me now on my 26' ive motored a whole weekend just motoring sicne i didn't have sails yet. i wonder what people thought of me lol.
Old 07-20-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Perhaps some of them don't have the sail area necessary to overcome the weight of their granite counter tops in their galley, and are thus forever destined to motor aimlessly across the seas.
WanderingStar likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

I try really hard not to worry about what other people are doing on their boats but there are times when you have to wonder. It seems most boats in my area motor at around 6 or 7 knots at cruising rpm. When I'm sailing along doing 5+ knots and see sailboats on the exact same heading with no sails up, I sometimes wonder why 1-2 knots is worth the noise and fuel burn in spite of myself.
Old 07-20-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Obviously, one can never know in any particular instance, why someone else might be under power when sailing conditions are ideal... In my observation, however, these are my 3 best guesses as to why this phenomenon is so commonplace...

1) Many people like the IDEA of sailing... The actual PRACTICE, not so much - it can often involve a bit of work, after all... Hell, one might even have to set foot outside of a full-cockpit enclosure, from time to time... (grin)

2) Many are sailing boats that sail like crap to begin with, or are ill-suited to their local/prevailing conditions, or lack a decent light-air sail inventory... Boats selected primarily for considerations of accomodation, as opposed to performance or simplicity under sail... Many boats are now so thoroughly encumbered with crap, the attempt to actually sail them can be quite a chore... When a boat's performance is consistently superior under power than under sail, the engine's gonna come on...

3) Driving under an interfaced autopilot to a series of waypoints, is so much more easily done under power, than under sail... IMHO, the prevalence of modern electronic video-game style navigating has done as much to diminish the amount of sailing people are doing, as the introduction of compact lightweight diesels, and ever more efficient propellers...

I could go on, of course... Best not get me started... (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-20-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

I know you stated you don't care what people do with their boats.....

BUT...

You must care...it bothered you enough to make a post about it......and that's what I don't get...what business is it of yours?

Don't take that the wrong way...I don't mean it in an aggressive way or calling you out...nothing like that....just a point....

In any case, you will not get the answer here. How could anyone here know why those boats weren't under sail. Next time, if it really matters, sail on over and ask. They'll either tell you why....or tell you to piss off....or maybe they'll invite you aboard for a cold one....or maybe ask for help.....who knows?
LinekinBayCD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 07-20-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
sailboats that don't sail

Hey joe ive actually have done that lol. I sometimes go around achorages to see the boats crusing around on a dinghy and when i see a sailboat come in that hasnt sailed there i ask weres the sails, they always give a good reason
JoeDiver likes this.
Old 07-20-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
I know you stated you don't care what people do with their boats.....

BUT...

You must care...it bothered you enough to make a post about it......and that's what I don't get...what business is it of yours?

Don't take that the wrong way...I don't mean it in an aggressive way or calling you out...nothing like that....just a point....

In any case, you will not get the answer here. How could anyone here know why those boats weren't under sail. Next time, if it really matters, sail on over and ask. They'll either tell you why....or tell you to piss off....or maybe they'll invite you aboard for a cold one....or maybe ask for help.....who knows?
Agree 100%. It's their boat, their money, their time. They can do what they want. I do what I want and don't care who likes or understands what I'm doing.

I don't want to wast any of my time trying to figure out what someone I don't know is doing or why.
Old 07-20-2012

sailor wench is on a distinguished road

I wrote an article in "Living Aboard" Magazine recently about this very subject....those who own sailboats that don't sail....I titled the article "WTF?". I think it was in the March/April 2012 issue on page 8. Living Aboard is now part of Lattitudes & Attitudes Magazine, they are no longer seperate magazines, so I guess you could pull up the article on their web site. I think it's worth a read. I discussed that while sailing up and down the East Coast, we rarely, if ever, saw sailboats actually sailing, even in ideal weather conditions and how strange I found this to be, considering I sail the vast majority of the time, even if conditions are not ideal. I questioned why these people don't just go ahead and buy power boats, since that's what their sailboats have became to them anyway, and stated some reasons given by these people as to why they don't sail. If u get a chance, look up what I wrote on line. It was an entire page, so I don't want to copy it again here. Evidently, the editor of the magazine agreed that there are many sailboat owners that hardly, if ever, actually sail because they published my article. If you do get a chance to read it, let me know what you think.