Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
sailboats that don't sail

Hey,

Last Friday I sailed about 30 nm to a Marina, on Sunday I sailed another 30nm back home. The wind was light and I saw a lot other sail boats out there. Many had no sails up. I attributed that to the lack of wind. I had my main up and it definitely helped. I had the headsail out for part of the trip, but furled it when it started to flog. Yesterday I was out for a 2 hour or so day sail. This time the wind was 10-15 from the east. Again I saw 3-4 SAIL boats out without any sails up. Those boats were clearly going somewhere.

So, why are you out there without a single sail up?

A few boats would have been on a broad reach if the sails were up. Another would have been on a nice run. One boat I saw with just the main was heading mostly upwind, so I can almost understand why he didn't have the headsail up.

I don't get it.

Barry
jerryrlitton likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: sailboats that don't sail

When it comes to the main sail, unless I'm going to be using it for more than a few hours, I don't put it up since it is such a pain to take down, flake and cover. For shorter sail trips, I often only use the furling jib.
Old 07-20-2012
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

To me a sail boat is like a piece of luggage. Both are like tickets to somewhere else. I think some people just get a bit lazy or tired and forget what magic sails bring. Barry, I think this actually belongs in fight club, what do you think?

Jerry
SloopJonB likes this.

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

There's another thread where we beat this horse to death.

Is it annoying to watch? Sure, but don't let it get your spinnaker in a twist. Just accept it and sail.

I had to make a return trip from Solomons Island to my home near Annapolis. The breeze was around 300-320 TWA, and too light to generate boat speed beyond 1-3 knots. I was able to combine the sails with the engine at greatly reduced throttle for speeds of around 5.5-6 kts. This saved a lot of fuel and engine wear.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-20-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post

So, why are you out there without a single sail up?

I don't get it.

Barry
Hi Barry. Be prepared. This question has been asked before, kind of recently, and it got a bit heated. I tried Google but I don't know the right keywords to locate it.

The general feeling was that there are many legit reasons why you may see a sailboat under power.

Some that I can think of:

They may have to get to port for an emergency and may not be able to take the time to rely on wind power alone.

They may be charging their electrical systems. Although this can still be done motorsailing, but, whatever.

There may be a problem with their rigging.

In the end, mostly that other thread ended with it was their boat and they could do whatever the hell they wanted with it and who is anyone to judge?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-20-2012

Beaverkill is on a distinguished road

I was on a buddies powerboat a few weeks ago fishing in the Raritan Bay..I thought of the former post on this same subject when I saw about a dozen sailboats on the bay at that time and only 4 were under sail...There was plenty of wind...I just dont get it either...

I also noticed 2 sailboats on moorings in a local Yacht Club that dont even have masts.. And it doesnt look like it is a temporary situation..
Old 07-20-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

I want to sail around the world, is my Hunter a "blue water" boat?
RobGallagher, Melrna and patrscoe like this.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 07-20-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

Many times a year we motor to and from a race event because we do not have a crew for the delivery days. go sail a three day race regatta and then see if you want to sail home going up hill all the way home. There are many reason to motor but at least they are using the boat. I have seen several in the harbor that never move.
Old 07-20-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

Good point Overb. I wonder too Barry, especially in case of a moderate fair breeze. Today I motored more than ordinary, but I did dislocate my shoulder yesterday. And it was lumpy, and rainy. So I didn't want to go on the cabintop to set the main. I just the jib alone, very rare for me. My wife way didn't want to. So maybe those motoring guys are tired, or shorthanded, or something. But I confess sometimes it confounds me.
Old 07-20-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Many times a year we motor to and from a race event because we do not have a crew for the delivery days. go sail a three day race regatta and then see if you want to sail home going up hill all the way home. There are many reason to motor but at least they are using the boat. I have seen several in the harbor that never move.
Hey,

I'm not stating that if you have a sailboat you should sail everywhere. Personally, I love to sail, but if I am going somewhere (as opposed to a simple daysail) and I can't sail at 5 kts, I will run the engine and set the throttle so I'm going 5+ kts. I have no problem running the engine if I have to.

Also, I don't care what other people do with their boats. Use them, let them deteriorate in a marina, it doesn't bother me. I just didn't understand why, if you are clearly going somewhere (and a boat heading east of Mt. Sinai must be because the next marina is over 15 nm away) you wouldn't put up some sail. I suppose the captain could be injured or something like that.

Barry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.