Couldn't do it - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 07-22-2012

Re: Couldn't do it

You have taken the ad down but as I recall you did a beautiful job.

I do remember thinking that for most folks she still needed an inboard, head, electrical system, electronics and a FW water system?

So, finishing the amazing job that you started would put her above the high market for most people even though she would be exceptional.

I wonder if you taking a year to add things that a lot of buyers will want will be cost effective.

BTW, there is no way a survey of this boat with its present systems should take 4 days. There isnít a whole lot for the surveyor to look at!

Haul, hang it, tap it, launch it and back to the slip. Put the sails up on the way back.
You have been dealing with a bunch of dreamers, wannabes and low ballers which is typical for this market.

Seems that if you can get 15K now with a one day inspection then maybe you just need to hang in a bit longer?

Good luck!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 07-22-2012

Chris: I am not surprised at your experience in trying to sell the boat, and I take no exception to your distaste with the survey process in this case. It seems for the best that this potential sale fell through. If you really wanted to sell the boat, you would have gone through with the survey (although I do agree that a four day survey for a boat that old at that price is really overkill).

I must respectfully disagree with the crowd here who suggest that you force yourself to go sailing now for your own good. Sailing and cruising are supposed to be enjoyable; we do these things sometimes because we want to (its fun!), and sometimes because we have to (stress relief, need for adventure, get away from the rat race). I don't know anyone who goes sailing or cruising because its the nautical equivalent of eating your vegetables. I've read a lot of your posts here, and I've followed your website. I sense nothing of the "cold feet" or "I've bitten off more than I can chew" to your writing. You sound like a young(ish) couple who have been involved in an all-encompassing, consuming effort to reshape your lives, and now that a major part of that is over, you are asking yourselves "what the heck are we doing?".

I am not a psychiatrist, nor do I play one on TV, but I think you have it right: keep the boat for now, maybe work on it some more (that seemed to be fulfilling, right?), maybe do some sailing, maybe not. No right or wrong answers here, just a lot of questions that only you two can answer.

You did a wonderful job with Heron; have you considered making boat restoration your chosen profession? If you aren't familiar with Tim Lackey's work, I highly recommend his website:

Lackey Sailing LLC | Restoring and Rebuilding Great* Boats

Maybe some ideas for you.

Best of luck to you, and I really look forward to reading about what comes next.
chrisncate likes this.
post #23 of 31 Old 07-22-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Chris, it's just a lousy time to sell ANYTHING right now...especially a boat or any other luxury item. Our economy is much, much worse than anyone is letting on. It's not getting better in the foreseeable future. I have a couple of Taylor guitars, for instance, that I don't use and would sell but unless I want to give them away, there is simply no market. People have hunkered down and sense something is terribly rotten and they feel there is a "Sword of Democles" hanging over the future of the USA.
kd3pc and chrisncate like this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #24 of 31 Old 07-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Lol, I can feel the collective blood pressure spiking at:

You know knot what you do...

I'm serious about that beer someday..
I will say many great sailors are on Catalinas and Hunters, (ie" Cruising Dad, and my budy Andy) but they are designed to be appealing to people making the transition from the comforts of suburbia to the cruising life.....just a little disclaimer if I offended anyone.... again...........yes, beer. If I had any money I'd give you $25,000 for her right now, that boat is sweet! and has none of the systems I don't want allready.
chrisncate likes this.

" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
post #25 of 31 Old 07-22-2012
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

A boat is a "toy". The "toy" market is in the toilet. I sold all of my other toys to pursue my love of sailing, and I took a beating on all of them.

I had a small RV, a motorcycle and a fleet of vintage automobiles big enough to cause my own traffic jam.

No matter how much love, money, blood, sweat and tears you've poured into that boat, not only are you going to take a loss, you're going to deal with an endless parade of a$$hole$ until (and if) that one, serious buyer comes along.

You're doing the right thing:

Pull the composting head, (for you) and put an engine in it (for marketability).

My prediction:

Once the head has been replaced, you'll go sailing and love it. You will reconsider moving aboard, in the end, you won't sell the boat.
chef2sail and chrisncate like this.

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
post #26 of 31 Old 07-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

"A boat is a toy ?"
And there is the difference in mentality. True, for most people, it is. For people who call sailing a sport, it is a toy. For those of us who were raised aboard, lived aboard for our whole life, Have been through perilous off shore passages and live to tell, funded re-fit after re-fit, used them to make a living on, built our careers around them, and have sacrificed so much to have them, they are so much more than a toy. But yes, it's true, for most people, they are toy's, and the toy bizz is in the can.
chrisncate likes this.

post #27 of 31 Old 07-22-2012
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
"A boat is a toy ?"
And there is the difference in mentality. True, for most people, it is. For people who call sailing a sport, it is a toy. For those of us who were raised aboard, lived aboard for our whole life, Have been through perilous off shore passages and live to tell, funded re-fit after re-fit, used them to make a living on, built our careers around them, and have sacrificed so much to have them, they are so much more than a toy. But yes, it's true, for most people, they are toy's, and the toy bizz is in the can.
To the land-bound world, and to the boat market yes, they are toys pure and simple, no matter how much emotion you have wrapped up in your boat. Brokers and boat shoppers don't care about your feelings.

However, I agree with you. My boat is much more to me than a toy. Way more.

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
post #28 of 31 Old 07-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

yes< I was Agreeing to Agree with you, That lady Flo on the progressive commercials would classify my boat as a Toy if I were to try and insure it or, get a loan from a bank to buy one.

post #29 of 31 Old 07-22-2012

I'm confused. The buyer was expecting you to pay for the haul out? If I got that right all I can say is really? The whole thing sounds crazy. It's their loss.

I agree with other posters. I wouldn't add stuff like AC ect. to the boat. Maybe an inboard if you decide to sell.

Best of luck
post #30 of 31 Old 07-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
On a work related note, I'd love to get into boat building or restoration or something. Been thinking about pursuing becoming a surveyor as well.
I have to admire the irony of this

I say go for it - sounds like the right thing to do given your interest in boat building / fixing. Just expressing my amusement

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.