Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Couldn't do it

We just can't.

I'm looking in to a nice stay at an institution for the nautically insane. I'm hoping for shock therapy or a lobotomy, powerful meds at the very least.

That's all, back to whatever you were doing.
davidpm and wdwright1967 like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Couldn't do it

I was just wondering yesterday what you guys were up to and if you'd grown to like your life on the water or if you were shopping for a farm in Kansas....

Need nautcal therapy? I know just the trick!

MedSailor
chrisncate likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2012

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

You mean the sale? Or is this some kind of suspense building . . .
Old 07-22-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel1 View Post
You mean the sale? Or is this some kind of suspense building . . .
From their blog:
"She's off the market, we're keeping her. Thanks to all who expressed interest, we do appreciate it! We had full asking price in sight (survey contingent this Wed). We' were giving away too much for too little, and had no detailed survey request entered the conversation we probably wouldn't be boat owners as of today. The thought of her being pecked at by a surveyor was more than we could bear at what we had her priced to move quick at. The potential new owners were very nice, and absolutely right in wanting to get a survey - it's just not what we had in mind though, and that's on us - not anyone else.

We don't know what's next. Mental help would be a good place to start probably."

And some say that Soap Operas are a dying medium.
Jgbrown likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-22-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Personally I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

But there are lots of things you could do, right?
BubbleheadMd and chrisncate like this.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-22-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Maybe a little sailing and time on the water will cure whatever is ailing you. Enough of your namby pamby angst filled days.....Get on with it.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-22-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
We just can't.

I'm looking in to a nice stay at an institution for the nautically insane. I'm hoping for shock therapy or a lobotomy, powerful meds at the very least.

That's all, back to whatever you were doing.
U have a gorgeous boat. I understand! Glad u r hanging with around.

B
chrisncate likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-22-2012
Don't sail anymore

We're just gonna keep the thing, sell a few things off her we don't need and deal with it later. No live aboard , no cruising - just some bay sailing if we can motivate to go out. I'll probably put her back on the hard and repower her with a used inboard over the course of the next year. No drama, just giving in to the inevitable I believe.

15k is in reality too low for what I have into her, and without an inboard she won't fetch top of the market like she should. If I'm wrong, tell me. Also, I'm not willing to go through haul outs, surveys and all that when I feel like I'm selling her low priced (which is what the potential sale I let go would have entailed). I'll probably wind up making her what most people would want, and selling her then but as of now I make no proclamations.
Old 07-22-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
We're just gonna keep the thing, sell a few things off her we don't need and deal with it later. No live aboard , no cruising - just some bay sailing if we can motivate to go out. I'll probably put her back on the hard and repower her with a used inboard over the course of the next year. No drama, just giving in to the inevitable I believe.

15k is in reality too low for what I have into her, and without an inboard she won't fetch top of the market like she should. If I'm wrong, tell me. Also, I'm not willing to go through haul outs, surveys and all that when I feel like I'm selling her low priced (which is what the potential sale I let go would have entailed). I'll probably wind up making her what most people would want, and selling her then but as of now I make no proclamations.
My opinions, to be taken as such:

First, if you love the boat and can afford her, keep her. Exception is if you want another boat. A boat becomes a part of us (for me, at least) like a child or a pet. Not for all of us, I understand, but for us it has been. If it is just a 'thing' for you, let her go. GO camping, or get a house, or a plane, or something that drives your passion. Kids will do that, incidentally, though I don't think you two are there yet. But as my wife said to me just this evening, which we have said many times, "We are just boat people." It is easy to say that, harder to really come to grips with it. At least it was for us.

Second, I would NEVER buy a boat without a survey unless it was dirt cheap such that the survey cost more than the boat. I bought Nixie (our Compaq 16) without a survey. But I know boats pretty well, maybe better than many surveyors. However, the cost of the survey would have been more than the boat and I know the key things to look for. DO your buyers? How many buyers do? Nah, even knowing what I know, I would never buy a boat of any magnitude without a survey. I am not saying that others wouldn't, or should or shouldn't, but I know a lot more about boats that the majority of people I meet and I would not. Take that for what its worth.

I hope you guys get out on your boat, and actually hope you do put the outboard on her. I don't care if you never raise the sails and use her as a motorboat to pull skiers. WHat is important is that you enjoy it, make it your passion, or find what is. But there are few things I have found more inspring than sitting on my boat, nothing but the wind in my face, and watching the sun go down at sea. For me, nothing else matters for that brief moment in time and I feel at peace. Of course, I am shortly brought back to reality with a, "Ok, Daddy, no green flash again... can we eat now!??"

Take care guys,

Brian
kd3pc and dacap06 like this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 07-22-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2012
Don't sail anymore

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the thoughts I think buyers should want surveys, it's the smart thing to do. Just because we know how she's done, doesn't mean anyone else does. I can see that. Not everyone is a boat expert. We just don't feel like going through it in light of all the extensive picture and video documentation we have of what we just did though. I don't think we're wrong, nor do I think they are wrong for wanting a survey.

I'd be willing to do an hour in a sling and let the potential buyer look her over as thoroughly as he wants, but laying her up on stands to dry out over night, the surveyor wanting to sail her etc is just not something I'm willing to accommodate at 15k. She was priced for a quick and no hassle sale, and even that is now out of the running as the window for someone to take advantage of a great deal has now closed.

Regarding our feelings on boating, we're just gonna see how things go. We can keep her, it's not that - whether or not we want to is something that I don't think we can answer right now. It makes sense to just wait and see I think.

EDIT: She has the outboard already (has for months now), I was saying I am probably going to repower her with an inboard. Also a possibility is AC and a fridge. If we're gonna make her appealing to the masses, might as well right? Truly a conversion to the dark side of the force..

Last edited by chrisncate; 07-22-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.