Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road
Re: I've taken your advice...and found a better boat

I've own two 30s and two 37 cutters of the Cherubini Hunters. Look at the mast step take a flat rule with you, if its not dished the post beam and deck (in that area) are ok. If its dish its not a hard fix. The last one I bought site unseen for 7400 a few years back contingent on sea trial. Went to Chicago looked over and sailed north to Holland same weekend. The owner of my company bought it the next year and fixed the mast step painted hull and deck in our shop looks great. So for four grand put it in the water if it motors its a great deal. You could part it out for that .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I've taken your advice...and found a better boat

A couple quick thoughts here. I owned a 1976 Hunter 27 Cherubini and it had major design flaw that caused the keel to nearly fall off!

My current boat was a good deal at $6500 I thought. Now at over $25000 and 4 years on the hard with keel problems, no so much!

The parts you buy for $4000 1976 boat cost the same as the parts for $100,000 2011 boat. So $500 for survey looks like a good deal to me these days!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 07-23-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

What design flaw?
Old 07-23-2012

ckmeans is on a distinguished road

Yeah, i've done a lot of reading the past weekend and I haven't seen any sign of keel issues...
Old 07-23-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

You guys do realize a sea trail for a boat on the hard is ON your dime
chrisncate and ckmeans like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2012

ckmeans is on a distinguished road

So I took a look at the boat tonight....the owner couldn't make it, which turned out to be good because I spent lot of time goig through it....only 2 cosmetic complaints which are fading blue deck pain and he hull liner in the cabin was removed...

New chain plates and mast step work was done in 2001...new Doyle sails in 2005

Owner is emailing me a 3 year old survey tonight....he is charging up the batteries at home and we'll run the motor this weekend.

I think I'll offer a half price deposit and the other half once it's floating...

I think I found the deal I'm looking for!
Old 07-23-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
What design flaw?
The 1976 Hunter 27 had a recess in the bottom of the hull that the keel fitted up into. If you look in the bilge you realize that in order to make that recess in the bottom the stringers that go over the top of the keel are nearly cut in half at the middle. This reduces their strength by 4 times! There are only six stringers, about 12" between them, and the keel bolts are centered between the stringers on this large flat surface. On my boat that flat surface delaminated almost completely and the keel pulled the bolts down about 2"!

In fixing it I ground away all of the stringers completely, as well as most of the thickness of the hull over the entire keel area. Then I made new stringers placing them only 6" apart and glassing it all with many layers of woven roving and epoxy resin. Then I made large stainless plates that each fitted over two of the keel bolts. I used fabric reinforced conveyor belt under the plates to keep any hard spots from being crushed. I also installed a new bilge pump. After the keel repair though all we ever needed was a vacuum cleaner for the dust.

In 1978 Hunter replaced the recess with a short outward stub for the keel. Thus the stringers were now twice as thick as before at the center, and 4 times stronger.

On my current boat an Etap 26 the designer also made a huge flaw in not directly tying the retractable keel trunk directly into the hull stringers fore and aft. So the keel trunk pushes its way down through the hull and pulls the mast step down with it. The mast tabernacle tilts forward, binding the keel lift mechanism. Once I started writing about this issue with my boat on the owners newsgroup I found out that nearly every boat of this model suffers from the same problem.

I also rebuilt the swing keel on a Catalina 22. I seem to have an attraction for boats with bad keels!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 07-23-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I think those rudder posts are hollow, I've filled one with a dowl and 5200 once. After it bent. My buddy sailed down to mex. next to my once and he could'nt turn when he got to Isla Mujeres becuase he'd been on the same tack for 4 day's.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-23-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
You guys do realize a sea trail for a boat on the hard is ON your dime
Hopefully he just keeps on going.
Old 07-24-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Ck looks like a nice boat, I would hold out for a sea trail. I would throw a quick bottom paint job on at your expenss, If the sea trail goes well you can just leave her in the water and move her to your new home. The owner dosent have much of a loss he gets fresh bottom paint if you don't buy, and if she sinks your out 200.00 that you would of spent any way. When ever I look at a boat I take a small wooden mallet to sound the hulll and deck.
I hope you have found your boat MD

Last edited by Marcel D; 07-24-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.