Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012

svHornblower is on a distinguished road
Re: I've taken your advice...and found a better boat

"I would throw a quick bottom paint job on at you expenss, If the sea trail goes well you can just leave her in the water and move her to your new home. The owner dosent have much of a loss he gets fresh bottom paint if you don't buy, and if she sinks your out 200.00 that you would of spent any way."

I wouldn't put any money into the boat that wouldn't benefit you. If you think this is the right boat, and you are not going to get a survey, then pay what you need to get a sea trial and go from there. When looking at boats at this price range you want to know that
1.It wont sink.
2.That what you think works actually works.

If the boat meets your expectations then buy it. These are actually pretty good boats and I think you are on the right track.
Old 07-24-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmeans View Post
So I took a look at the boat tonight....the owner couldn't make it, which turned out to be good because I spent lot of time goig through it....only 2 cosmetic complaints which are fading blue deck pain and he hull liner in the cabin was removed...

New chain plates and mast step work was done in 2001...new Doyle sails in 2005

Owner is emailing me a 3 year old survey tonight....he is charging up the batteries at home and we'll run the motor this weekend.

I think I'll offer a half price deposit and the other half once it's floating...

I think I found the deal I'm looking for!
Ok, this is a big sign of good faith and integrity on the seller's part. He felt confident enough about the boat, and had nothing to hide, so he let you crawl all over it, alone. He didn't insist on being present in order to steer you away from problem areas.

My seller did the same thing. I poked around my boat for 2 full weeks without him, before buying it.

I'm not saying that this boat won't need some work, but it's probably a safe bet for the amount of money that you're paying.

You could take some photos for us to critique. Based on what people are saying about these boats, take photos of the following areas:

Keel sump
Mast step
Deck area around the mast
Keel to hull joint
Rudder
Rudder post (if you can access it)
Through hull penetrations
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I think those rudder posts are hollow, I've filled one with a dowl and 5200 once. After it bent. My buddy sailed down to mex. next to my once and he could'nt turn when he got to Isla Mujeres becuase he'd been on the same tack for 4 day's.
Just a quick comment here; doweling a stainless steel rudder post with wood is a really bad idea for several reasons. Once the dowel gets wet it will expand and can fracture the rudder post. The 5200 might slightly reduce the chance of this, but if the 5200 makes a proper seal, it will oxygen deprive the Stainless Steel and crevice corrosion can occur.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2012

Southcoasting is on a distinguished road

Awesome! Sounds like this boat may have found you! Looks pretty nice for the price...As long as the systems to get you on the water and sailing are intact, I think you're golden!

This boat is a pretty good sized 30 footer! and if others are vouching for its pedigree, makes you feel better about the investment

I bought my boat without survey but it was $2500 and I trusted the seller, visited his home while making the deal and felt confident in general...

No sea trial here but realize it was a risk...Only leaking when I launched was coming from the stuffing box which leaked more than normal...but then again, when a boat sits on the hard for a while it's normal for the stuffing material to shrink and once exposed to water, it will slowly swell...Leaking slowed down quite a bit after the boat was in the water for 24 hours but I adjusted the stuffing box anyways to leak the more normal 4 drops per minute...

Good luck!