Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree78Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Improving Sailnet

OT is a necessary evil. Every forum needs a trash bin. If you take away OT, then crazy people like that "person" who posts all of their religious OT junk, will post it in the sailing forums. Ditto with all of the politics.

The moderators will be overwhelemed with continuously deleting, and locking threads, and banning ID's. People will create sock puppets and keep coming back.

The forum structure is fine. The mods should just be a little more aggressive in pushing OT threads into OT where they belong. I like the Chefs a lot, but the farewell thread probably belonged there. I'm an active participant of the Zombie thread, but it belongs in OT.

Users- Police yourselves. If you hate OT chatter, then stay out of OT. Don't let thread titles get you worked up and lure you into the OT forum. Exercise some will power.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Last edited by BubbleheadMd; 07-23-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Edited to avoid name-calling.
Old 07-23-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Sticky threads is good. I'd also say some way to promote in depth posts and a way to purge brawlers quicker. If someone is a quality poster that puts up threads on the quality level of MaineSail...but has some "cranky" issues, then I'm ok with that person (ala CardiacPaul RIP).

But if someone is a newbie and just hangs out in OT and Politics and then just pokes sticks into hornets nests elsewhere...bounce 'em
Old 07-23-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

You kind of already do this on the "Front Page" - but you should create a featured area in the forum that rotates through the tons of great articles that have been posted here through the years. Kind of like a POTD - but with the articles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-23-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Yearly forum awards would be fun. The "academy awards" of S/N once a year on a certain date... best poster, worst poster/troll, best thread of the year, worst thread of the year.. the categories are endless..
On the surface, this sounds like a good, fun idea...the reality though.....

I post on a professional sports team fan forum. Many years ago, they decided to do an annual awards thingy....just like you mention above.

The first year, it was fun...some of the awards were questionable, but what the hey...it was all in good fun, right?

The next year....same thing....same people won. No matter who was the legitimate candidate....same people won. Maybe not the exact same categories, but it was the same folks. Accusations of a favorite "inner circle" started, cliques formed, feelings were hurt. The awards had planted a seed of sickness poisoning the forum. It was like a junior high popularity contest.

The third year was nasty. The nominations thread turned ugly, with comments of "why bother", "same folks always win", "unless you're a friend of the mods", "where can I buy my award"....lots of name calling, nastiness, bickering...the nomination thread was eventually locked. When the awards came, again the same people won. It became obvious there was in fact, an "inner circle" clique and this was nothing more than a bunch of douche-bags patting themselves on the back.

This poisoned undercurrent ran throughout the year. The running joke was breaking in and getting an award. Those that received awards started removing the accolades from their titles and signatures. Many squabbles turned down right ugly, and several long time posters left the forums with some spectacular "I'm Leaving" threads.

The fourth year, the nomination thread was locked and deleted after 2 days and the awards were done. No more. Someone had been mad enough to involve the team ownership...and as this is an official team fan forum, the ownership got involved...stopped it...posted in the forums that it will not continue, they love all their fans, nobody is more important than any other, all fans have equal weight...etc....

So Chris...I hear ya with the suggestion....just sharing my actual experience with that sort of thing. I'm not saying this will happen with SN....but it is a dangerous thing....could be great....could be catastrophic.
CaptFoolhardy likes this.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 07-23-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Random scrolling of photos from the galleries on the home page would be cool! The photo galleries are hardly ever viewed (I think)

Too many forums! My guess is 75% of the threads are "general"

Nip drama in the bud!

my current "project"!
Old 07-23-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Find a way to encourage people to put more info in the "about me" section that is visible when they post. Maybe add a "boat name" field as well.

Often people post questions without saying what kind of boat or what part of a particular country they are sailing
JimMcGee and ccriders like this.
Old 07-23-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Overall, no near death experiences here, but here are a few peeves.

Need to solve the reinstated chat box thing. Not only should we not have to continuously turn it off, it shouldn't remain on the screen in any form. The little button is annoying.

I appreciate that the site is funded by advertising, but there are substantially more bugs with it here than any other site I've used. The worst offender is the program that hangs things up and won't let a page finish loading. Otherrs seem to have figured this one out.

Delete a post, as moderator, if necessary. But don't editorialize your reason by leaving none of the original post and just the moderators chastizing comment. I recall having a post deleted once, because I had quoted the original violating post, which was deleted. However, it appeared like I violated rules as well, since all that was left was some sort of editorial comment like "removed due to forum rules". It all should have been removed.

Force all posters to pass a breathalyzer before typing.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-23-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Force all posters to pass a breathalyzer before typing.
Might as well shut it down after 3PM with this lot

I, myself, wait till 5PM (in one time zone or another)
nccouple likes this.
Old 07-23-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

If I could make one change to SN, it would be to add a Google driven search engine equivalent to the CF search engine. I know I can google SN and my search and get some semblance of what I want, but if I want some specific info - I generally search at CF.

I am definitely in the keep OT - so you have somewhere you can boot the inevitable OT stuff (outright deleting stuff just provokes people). I haven't been in an OT thread in years (maybe the song thread). Works for me.
JimMcGee likes this.
Old 07-23-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

This is a great forum. Love the interaction and the topics. One suggestion - how about a "dislike" button. We can "like" someone's post, but perhaps there is a way to click onto a post that is unlikable as being too agressive or rude or incorrect or digressive.
JimMcGee and SVAuspicious like this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Closed Thread