SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Corsair 24 Mk II as a first boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/90023-corsair-24-mk-ii-first-boat.html)

trevorN 07-22-2012 11:08 PM

Corsair 24 Mk II as a first boat?

I am pretty new to sailing and was recently offered a mid 90s Corsair 24 Mk II. Is this boat fairly easy to sail, or would it be a handful for someone with limited sailing experience?

Opinions?

dan catalyst 07-23-2012 12:07 AM

Re: Corsair 24 Mk II as a first boat?

they are tanks dispacing a whopping 6000 lbs and it has a 50/50 ballast ratio,so thats 3000 lbs of lead and scrap metal(yup) resined into the full length keel.it reminds me of a lighter dispacement allegra.i wouldnt hesitate to sail wayyyy out into the wild blue yonder with a boat of her leangth and displacement.you cant go wrong with it on paper,but lets see what some people who have actually owned one have to say.

trevorN 07-23-2012 12:25 AM

Just to clarify I was talking about a Corsair 24 Mk II trimaran. http://www.multihull-maven.com/Boats/Corsair_24_Mk_II

dan catalyst 07-23-2012 12:44 AM

ahh i see the mid 90's part now, yeah those are slightly lighter displacement and maybe a little faster,lol. completley differant animal i know nothing about!

FSMike 07-23-2012 12:44 PM

trevorN

A Corsair 24 can be easily single-handed if you acquire some experience. Perhaps taking an experienced multi sailor along for a few sails to start with?
Just remember, things can happen VERY quickly on a fast tri.

brak 07-23-2012 09:46 PM

I had MkI for some time.

Very lightweight boat. In my experience, it is great for sailing in calm seas with decent wind. The problem I encountered was that whenever wind was good - seas were quite un-calm, and when seas were calm - there was not enough wind.

Also, depending on your sailing style, there does not seem to be such thing as "relaxed sailing" in a trimaran. You must always remain alert and ready to let out the mainsheet least this thing pitch-pole or some such. Can't just "set it and forget it".

Certain maintenance items (in particular folding system) are a bit outside the usual scope of maintenance of a basic keelboat. If you are careful owner that likes things to work properly - it's a hassle. If you subscribe to "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - no issues.

For me it was a fun sailboat for a while, but I didn't like it long term and would not buy another similar tri again.

ImASonOfaSailor 07-23-2012 10:20 PM

ok it seems you guys are mono hull sailors! Brak you are so wrong these boat do not heel no more then 15% ! they are fun fast if you dont mind the camping style of the inside it is a perfect go anywhere boat! I am a multihull sailor right now I own a CAT i do and will own a Corsair one day! this boat is very safe it will handle 30mph or more winds but everyone has a limit on them self when the wind picks up u reef its all easy! these boats will do circles around Monos! in a 7 knot breeze these boats will do 10knots or more depends on the skipper!

blowinstink 07-23-2012 10:54 PM

I almost bought one 15 years ago as my first post beachcat boat. Wish I had. You can handle it as your first boat, but you'll need to respect it and respect the weather until you learn what you are doing. NOt much more to say than that. Find a good mentor. Have fun.

peterchech 07-24-2012 03:03 PM

I wish I had the option of owning that boat...

There is one in a marina near me, they are surprisingly small up close, almost look like oversized beach cruisers. I imagine the cuddy cabin is very tight, but then again you don't buy a 24' corsair for extended cruising, you buy it to go FAAAAAAAST!!!

brak 07-24-2012 08:54 PM

Since, as you admit, you don't own F-24 and I did own one and sailed it for quite a while, I think I've got a bit more factual data to support my opinion than you do, won't you say?
Also, who said anything about "heeling"? Are you arguing with yourself, or something?

P.S. It's a perfect "go anywhere boat", all right - as long as "anywhere" isn't upwind (because it has a tack to tack angle of 175 degrees on a good day :) )

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor (Post 900339)
ok it seems you guys are mono hull sailors! Brak you are so wrong these boat do not heel no more then 15% ! they are fun fast if you dont mind the camping style of the inside it is a perfect go anywhere boat! I am a multihull sailor right now I own a CAT i do and will own a Corsair one day!