Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By oysterman23
  • 1 Post By CalebD
  • 1 Post By gts1544

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
Red face Shakedown for the "new" Morgan24

After working most of the day on the boat checking wiring, switches, bending on the main, figuring reef lines, down-hauls etc etc I had pretty much decided I was exhausted and the first sail in the new boat would have to wait until Monday pm....
Went and got a big coke and a small burger, came back to the boat, ate the burger and thought "lets go dammit"..... so I did.
Boy do I like the way this boat answers the helm under power or sail. Feels a little like a Porsche! Anyway it was blowing pretty good from the southwest. managed to get the sails up, trimmed the sails so nothing was makin noise or fluttering and all of sudden I m running about 6 knots without any fuss.
So basically the main was kinda bagged with some missing battens and the damn boat still sails like a dream. Very cool.
Later I set the main up abit differently and the shape looked much better. With all this going for me it was time to do something stupid so agreed to drop off some preservers to a friend at a local boatyard. Came about and headed up the river to the yard, dropped sails did the deed and headed out again when it suddenly came to my attention something was swinging around up there above my head....main halyard shackle had loosened up and was now out of reach...me in a nasty chop with a short shaft temporary engine and well....murphy's 12 and final law of boating came into my head (Noah?)
"iF you notice something is not right and do not fix it it it will break when you are not expecting it and you will immediately know with absolute certainty that you are a first class ass who deserves whatever happens"
yup. Well I got back in relaxed and when I brought the boat in she turned into the berth like she was on wires....Eventually got the halyard and considered myself properly reminded of Doing the Right Thing first...on a boat period. and thus ended the lesson...this boat is going to be fun to sail and work on...I'm stoked!
Cod
jerryrlitton and utchuckd like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2012

safira is on a distinguished road
Re: Shakedown for the "new" Morgan24

Morgans are great boats, Charlie Morgan really knows how to make them. A shame that he is no longer involved in the proccess. I have a older pilot house ketch and love her, she can be tempermental but you always learn from it, just experiment some to find what works best!!!
Old 07-23-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Is there anyone here who can honestly say they have never lost a halyard up the mast? IMHO, losing a halyard is up there with running aground in the Chessy or Great South Bay (GSB).

If you hit 6 knots with your old sails just think what she could do with newer rags!

Nice report on your shakedown sail on your Morgan 24' on the GSB.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road

thanks Caleb and Safira

Yeah the minute I got back I spread the jaws on the shackle now its plenty tight....I just really liked the way this boat handled the slop and the chop of Great South Bay with an amateur on board... and need to set up some things better in the cockpit for tying off the tiller, and something is not quite right with the furling.....very cranky. Was looking later and think the foils are not installed right....will drop all and check just like the shackle...

I will enjoy restoring this boat....and taking it up to Block Island Sound eventually....
Cod
Old 07-23-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Most furlers require some annual lubrication to keep them working smoothly. Also, the furler control line needs to lead into the drum at a right angle.

Best of luck with your plans.
RobGallagher likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Most furlers require some annual lubrication to keep them working smoothly. Also, the furler control line needs to lead into the drum at a right angle.

Best of luck with your plans.
Play with your halyard tension, some furlers may like it not so tight, some not too loose, others it may not matter.
Old 07-23-2012
gts1544

gts1544 is on a distinguished road

oysterman23, My very first "real" boat, after learning to sail on a Hobie 14 in the ocean north of San Juan, was a Morgan 24 based at Marina Puerto Chico in Fajardo, PR. Your story brought back very fond memories of that girl. She was the perfect boat for my first, forgiving on one hand and yet a thoroughbred on the other. I hated to have to sell her to move to the "big Gringo Island", the States. Enjoy your prize! The warmth that you feel on the back of your neck is my envy! gts1544
oysterman23 likes this.