Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012

FredMcIntire is on a distinguished road
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.... Your Input Please

I'm new to sailing and I'm looking to purchase my first sailboat. I think I have almost narrowed it down to the short list. I'm wanting to purchase a small pocket cruiser. One I can trailer, since I live in Indiana, yet one that is sturdy enough to do some coastal cruising if I so choose. Here's my list:

1. Com-Pac 16.
2. Montgomery 15.
3. West Wight Potter 15.

I really like the Com-Pac 16 with its shoal keel design. I like the Montgomery 15; however, I question whether it is large enough to be comfortable for a weekend sailing trip. I'd move up to a Montgomery 17 but I'm afraid it would be too heavy for my little Chevrolet S-10 pickup to handle. I like the West Wight Potter; however, I really don't like its swing keel design, although this boat has gotten excellent reviews.

Your opinions and input are greatly appreciated !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2012

bnaylor is on a distinguished road
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.... Your Input Please

Hi Fred: I'm pretty new to sailing, too; but in my opinion you should consider a slightly larger boat. Occasional over-nighters and coastal cruising will present you with some challenges with the boats you've identified. Consider something larger; but still trailer able, like a Catalina 22.
Old 07-23-2012

anthony1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.... Your Input Please

Hi Fred
Like bnaylorsaid I would go a bit bigger, I have a Mac25 swing keel and love it. We day sail mainly but have done a few over nighters she comfy and as for coastal cruising I don't think we would like to lose sight of land. Trailer and boat plus all the other stuff she weighs in at about 3500lbs, I used to tow it with a pontiac aztec 3.4lt engine and could do it all day with no problems, though launching and reteval was a bit of a nightmare were the vehicle was front wheel drive but the S10 should have no problem, check your owners manual for what your max towing weight is.
Old 07-23-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

SHOAL WATERS

See above for the stories of a famous UK micro cruiser. 16 ft did him fine.
Old 07-23-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

How many people would be aboard? If it is more than just you, I would consider something with a little more space. I agree about the swing keel. I didn't like harvesting weeds out of my local lake with my Catalina 22 swing keel cable. OTOH, it is a good compromise for a boat that needs to get on and off a trailer. You can trailer launch a C22 from a decent ramp. If the draft was any deeper (like a shoal fixed keel), you would have to be pretty selective about where you launch. Also, at least for the Com-Pac and WWP, you will probably spend less on a C22.
Old 07-23-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I have a Com Paq 16.

THe PO would take it out for a weekend and sleep on it with he daughter. It has a decent cockpit for two, but down below is little more than sleeping room (which she modified to fit her). You can do it on that boat, but it will be tight.

It is a good sailing boat for the most part and for the most part well made. She will not break any speed records but is pretty sure footed. She does not point well, but that is the trade off I think with these types of boats.

SHe is easy to rig and derig and we pulled ours from S Florida (Ft Myers Beach) to Washington state. So, I have no issues trailer sailing her depending on your vehicle.

I am happy to answer any other questions you have regarding the boat. The C22 was not a bad suggestion either, but I have never trailor sailed or hauled one. I did haul a C250 and that would not be something I would encourage (at least, not for us).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook: