Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailed singlehanded for the first time yesterday.

I run a stern line up along my deck to the bow and when I step on the dock I'm standing there with a bow and stern line in my hand. I do this constanly on my 40 foot charter boat that I run by myself, (power). I do the same on my little 28 foot sail boat which I sail to the dock once a month or so to take on water. On the power boat, I line it up and go into nuetral 30 feet from the dock, walk to the bow and step on to the dock with both lines in my hand, full control. If you have to go into reverse when you dock, you've aproached too fast. for sailing, look into an auto helm. It's freedom when you are single handling. Congrats and welcome to the club, as an above poster stated, you'll get good enough to the point crew will just be in the way. Tip one back for your Dad when your out there.
P.S> I stay tied to the boat religously. I have a comfortable harness, I feel naked with out it.
smurphny likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-25-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2012

FoolishMuse is on a distinguished road

sfbaysss.org/tipsbook
chapter 6
Old 07-25-2012

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch

Hiee,

My boats only 22 feet. When I go out alone though, I always bring the forward dockline back along the side of the cabin and tie it off at the aft end of the toe rail. When I come into dock I get a single wrap on the dock cleat from the stern and a halfhitch then jump out of the boat with the bow line in hand and tie off the bow then readjust the aft line to suit. Slow slow slow is always good I've always been inside ie not on the ocean and so only hoist the main and don't bother with the jib.

c_witch
Old 07-25-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Capt.aaron;901098] If you have to go into reverse when you dock, you've aproached too fast. QUOTE]

Many people seem to make the statement go slow while docking. At my dock, 90% of the time I have a 15-20 knot wind pushing my stern as I dock the boat at the finger pier. I always have difficulty docking single handed (or even with crew). I have tried several methods with varying success. What I do know is slow is not always best and I do need to use reverse to counter the stern wind when docking. I have come into the dock with no sail and the wind will push me in a 2 knots, I must use revese to counter this force. If I go too slow, then the force of the wind will overcome the momentum force on the boat and the wind now has control (big problem if the wind is a little on the beam and pushes me off the dock- without bow thrusters no way to recover when single handing).

The Latitude 48 articles I previously posted have a good discussion of the above problems and ways to deal with them.
Old 07-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Timing. know how the boat travels. With practice you know how to use the wind as a buffer. I have wind when I dock. If it's slowing too much, bump it in gear to give a little push. if the wind is pushing you to the dock, let it, you don't need the engine. If the wind is pushing you to the dock at 8 knots, leave it in reverse idle with forward motion, but you should'nt " Capt. Ron it"

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-25-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2012

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

[quote=casey1999;901227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
If you have to go into reverse when you dock, you've aproached too fast. QUOTE]

Many people seem to make the statement go slow while docking. ... What I do know is slow is not always best and I do need to use reverse to counter the stern wind when docking. I have come into the dock with no sail and the wind will push me in a 2 knots, I must use revese to counter this force. If I go too slow, then the force of the wind will overcome the momentum force on the boat and the wind now has control (big problem if the wind is a little on the beam and pushes me off the dock- without bow thrusters no way to recover when single handing).
Good points and true the boat is like a leaf floating in the current if you move too slowly. Without way on, the rudder is ineffective unless you are facing into the current and making use of the current to maintain steerage. Similarly, often a novice will put the engine in reverse (or forward) only gently to check motion and using insufficient rpm to make way or effect prop walk motion. You need to give it a RUSH of water and then ease off.
Here's a tip. If room near the pier allows, go thru the motions and in same direction of attack while you are away from the pier. In close quarters I'll often make a pass and don't mind doing an extra turn around just to practice the movements.

Last edited by Sea Dawg; 07-25-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Increasingly, I find it's easier to use fenders, dock lines, and a little umph to just pivot and pull slowly in when alone. My skeg keel mounted rudder-prop is not very precise in reverse. I'm usually on a mooring ... so I'm also rustier than most when at the docks.
Old 07-26-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Bow in is my guess with that long keel nice boat. I have sailed a lot of miles alone in all kinds of weathe,r the boat really does talk to you and tells you what you need to do next. I was once out on my captiva 240 sailing in 10 knot of wind on a sunny day, I just had a feeling that i should reef the sails to zero when 50 knots came out of no where and i was heeled 20 deg with bare poles. Follow your heart and sorry about your dad.
Old 07-27-2012

jambone is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot guys. All of these tips are invaluable. I do always come bow in, my boat steers like a drunken brick when moving astern. The finger dock is on my starboard side, so when I put the boat in reverse to slow down a little, the prop walk does take me away from the dock, which is a bit of a pain, so I try to come in slowly enough that I don't have to use reverse. It seems having a midships line really helps out. I will definitely try out all of these techniques. If you're on Lake Ontario, have a look for me! "Molly" is my boat, dark blue hull, I sail out of the Etobicoke Yacht Club.

-Jeff
Old 07-28-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I always try to come up on my port side if possible, even if I have to swing 180 degrees, so that the prop wash in reverse will kick the stern in: Nose in slowly, reverse, rev up a bit to swing stern in and stop forward progress, kick into neutral. Then, as Aaron indicated above, jump off with both bow and stern lines in hand. This also is the only way to grab a lock pipe singlehanded: come up and stop centered on the pipe, wrap lines opposing directions in back of pipe and then tension as needed. You have full control. I get lots of practice coming up and down the Champlain Canal. And, yes, with a deep draft/keel attached rudder like my A35...forget slow maneuvering in reverse.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-28-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Tags
genoa , lake ontario , sailing , singlehanding

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.