SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing from Seattle to Port Townsend for 1st time (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/90064-sailing-seattle-port-townsend-1st-time.html)

SeattleSail 07-24-2012 02:51 AM

Sailing from Seattle to Port Townsend for 1st time

Hi all,
We have a 22' Tanzer and would like to take a week in August to sail to and fro from Seattle to Port Townsend. She's moored in Lake WA and we sail regularly there, tho never enough! I'd say we're beyond novices, fairly experienced in lake sailing, but we've only sailed in the Sound a few times and I'd like some advise.

I know the weather conditions and tides, currents will play a part but how long should it take to get from Shilshole to PT? Is there a good place to stop and tie up somewhere along the way? We have a dog who would love to get out at least once...

I'm trying to learn Seaclear II for navigating. Does anyone in the Seattle area have an hour or so to tutor? I've had it working on my laptop before, but it's been awhile (never really used it).

Any advise or recommendations or suggestions regarding Seaclear would be most appreciated. Have a 6 hp outboard that's fairly new so that's something to fall back on if we need to, I suppose.

Thanks,
SCL

blt2ski 07-24-2012 09:22 AM

Re: Sailing from Seattle to Port Townsend for 1st time

It is 35 miles +/- to PT from shilshoal IIRC. SO upwards of 10 hrs or so, 12-14 if you go against a BIG flood tide, if you can catch a BIG Ebb, you have 4 knots of current working with you, along with your boat speed of 3-4 knots.

If you want to do this in two to three days, stops to make might be Kingston, Edmonds, Port Ludlow or port hadlock. Those are the only real stops tween the two places.

Depending upon where you are on the lake out to shilshoal will depend. But figure about 2-3 hrs from the cut to out side the locks depending upon how you hit Fremont bridge assuming you have to open, along with the locks. That should be the ONLY bridge you will have to open if you do. height is 28' or there abouts the rest are 42-45, I can clear barely the lowest which is universty at 42.5 in my 30'r.

Marty

djodenda 07-24-2012 12:02 PM

What Marty said... Also.. Here's a good resource for you to see the effect of tidal currents on your trip:
BIS Home

bobperry 07-24-2012 12:22 PM

You could stop in at Port Ludlow. Maybe even spend the night there. The marina is very nice and dog friendly. Then the next morning you can take the Hadlock Channel and shave a few miles off compared to going outside Marrowstone Island. You should check the tides if you go through the Channel. The current can be swift through there but it's a nice way to get to PT if you don't mind motoring through the channel and you come out inside Indian Island so it's kind of intersting and well protected.

djodenda 07-24-2012 12:41 PM

What Bob said.. There is a cool inside anchorage at Port Ludlow if you are so inclined. Mud bottom in 15 feet of water. Easy, and room for a couple of boats. For sure for your boat. You'd have a row to let the dog off, though, as it is surrounded by private homes.

I like Bob's idea about using the Hadlock Channel. Current predictions are real close to Deception pass, as I recall.

bobperry 07-24-2012 12:46 PM

Yes, but the current is not nearly as severe in the Hadlock Channel as it can be in Deception. But if you do 5 knots like I do the Channel can be a very leisurly experience. You may get to know each tree and rock very well.

The inner harbor at Ludlow is great idea. There is usuall plenty of room in there.

blt2ski 07-25-2012 12:30 AM

The channel at hadlock can be a hoot if GOING WITH the water, ie 6 knots boat speed, add in 4-5 knots of water speed.......yee haw! Almost as much fun as the narrows when they were running 6-7 knots, us doing 6 with the current......man o man did Colvos feel slow at 6 knots and 1 knot of current!

Depending upon time you have, Kingston or Edmonds for day one, ludlow day 2, should be able to get to PT the next, stay there a day, maybe do hadlock then Edmonds/kingston which ever you did not hit on the way up. Then back home. When in Edmonds, stay away from the E dock, there are some roughnecks with Castro designed boats about slips 51 and 52 or there abouts...........

Marty

jrd22 07-25-2012 12:43 AM

If you have the luxury of picking your dates choose a day when there is a big ebb running in the morning. You can be in Pt. T for lunch:-)) Mats Mats is a cool place to anchor, just south of Hadlock, north of Ludlow.

SloopNanoose 07-25-2012 04:21 AM

I sail out of Bremerton, so I generally keep to the west side of the sound. I recommend a stop in Kingston heartily. It's a really nice and laid back marina, and there are lots of friendly people there. You can dock and let the dog go ashore easily, there are convenient showers and facilities, and the downtown area is an easy walk up the street. Then from there Port Townsend should be an easy day sailing north. I would go with the Point Hudson Marina given a choice because it is an easier walk into the downtown area. I used the other one, boat harbor if memory serves. I was definitely not disappointed but it was a good walk to get a burger. Provisions weren't so bad though. There was a safeway a pretty short walk away, and a fuel dock was available in the marina.

tap 07-25-2012 04:47 AM

Time it to go with a big ebb in the morning and you can make it there from Shilshole five hours. This time of year there often isn't wind the morning and there is fog.