SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   rudder replace (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/90078-rudder-replace.html)

c'm again 07-24-2012 11:55 AM

rudder replace

I need to build a new rudder but not sure what type of wood to start with and should it be another kick-up or one piece this time. I could use any views bieng this is my first time with THIS job. transom hung for a 26' C M '74.

peterchech 07-24-2012 12:31 PM

Re: rudder replace

If you google it seems the standard is to make two female glass sections of the rudder itself, place a steel post with welded plates between the two sides of the rudder and fill the whole thing with two part foam. Then some glass at the edges I think.

However for a transom hung small boat like yours, esp if going kick up, a wood cored rudder may not be bad. You can use western red cedar (easy to work with into a naca profile, but not very strong so you need to beef up the glass layup) or else white oak, which is much stronger but more difficult to work with. You glue a bunch of 2x2's together, alternating the grain (to prevent warping) then shape it and glass it. Shaping it is easy if you have a router and electric plane, go on the woodenboat forum for lots of help on this process (I even have a write up of a plywood foil I did for a previous boat. Don't use ply BTW it is waaaay too heavy).

You may be able to get away with an aluminum rudder, beach cat style, but you will have no NACA profile that way.

travlineasy 07-24-2012 01:48 PM

You may wish to consider NewRudders.com About Us

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

sea_hunter 07-24-2012 05:11 PM

Nida-Core. Will not rot and can be cut with a paper knife. Light, strong, works with polyester resin (fiberglass) and epoxy. Epoxy is my choice, more expensive, but a job done once.

hellosailor 07-24-2012 05:41 PM

Gary, after the great time my good friend had with Foss (of Florida) I wouldn't ask them to replace a foam coffee cup, much less a rudder. Don't know what went wrong, but I know it did go wrong, very wrong. Among other things, they didn't match simple dimensions which were checked, double-checked, and given to them in writing.

They may be the only "rudder shop" in business, but I'd fly to China and interview laborers before I'd use them. (And I really hate flying.)

By now, maybe they've changed. Don't know, don't want to know. Just saying, once bitten, twice shy.

travlineasy 07-24-2012 06:45 PM

I haven't dealt with them personally, yet. However, I did talk with the owner on the telephone and he told me the best way to get an exact replacement was to ship the old rudder to them and they wouldn't have a problem duplicating it. He did say, however, that despite the measurements made by owners and manufactures specs, most rudders have some tiny differences that can make a huge difference in the fit. My rudder is on borrowed time, I've repaired it twice, the next step will be replacement. I'm too old to make a new one myself, so I guess I'll have to rely on them to provide me with a good replacement. The folks at the boatyard across the river from my marina highly recommended Foss and said they're never had a problem with the rudders they've received. They did say, however, that they always remove the old rudder and send it to them to be replicated.

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one,

Gary :cool:

hellosailor 07-24-2012 10:15 PM

Good luck, Gary. Let us know what comes of this.

peterchech 07-25-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea_hunter (Post 900679)
Nida-Core. Will not rot and can be cut with a paper knife. Light, strong, works with polyester resin (fiberglass) and epoxy. Epoxy is my choice, more expensive, but a job done once.

I'm not sure how you can get a proper naca profile using honeycomb material...

sea_hunter 07-25-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterchech:901061
I'm not sure how you can get a proper naca profile using honeycomb material...

Nyda-core layered laminated shaped, woven cloth, reinforced fairing to final shape, finish cloth, final fairing.

c'm again 07-25-2012 12:56 PM

is the fiberglass the key to strength and durability?