Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Fish Stories

I once caught a fish that was this big....

Ok, pictures you guys or I won't believe you. The first pic I am going to post is of "Auto". He is a Jew Fish (Goliath Grouper). He is ENORMOUS and hangs around the Tortugas. This is my wife cleaning off the plates when he and his buddy come up to sniff. That is his head there, btw, and if you look closely, you can see an eye.

That guy is as large as my tender and weighs probably 8 times more. Picture don't do justice.

Neither does this fine catch. For those that do not know fish, the following catch is a 300 pound Yellow Fin Tuna. For those that do know fish, well, er-hmm, it was fun at least to catch him. It was my oldest's first hit.

Feel free to share others.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Fish Stories

Hey, Brian!

Think you got your pics crossed -- that looks like a barracuda to me...

OK, I guess the joke's on me
Old 07-24-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Hey, Brian!

Think you got your pics crossed -- that looks like a barracuda to me...

OK, I guess the joke's on me
No comment....

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-24-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Many years ago I used to dive beneath 7-Mile Bridge during slack tide and spearfish for yellowtail snapper among the pilings. I quickly learned that it was also one of the favored haunts of jewfish, many tipping the scales at more than 500 pounds. Most of the time they avoided divers like the plague, but there were times when they were very aggressive. It was rumored that one swallowed a diver in that area, and a mounted jewfish with a manikin of a diver sticking out of its mouth was displayed on a local tackle shop's wall.

Nice cuda photo, and I hope you released it. They're fun to catch, but can be quite dangerous to eat due to ciguatera toxicity.

Some of the largest barracuda I've seen anywhere in the world can be found from January through March at the Marquesses Keys, located about 25-miles west of Key West. The fish tend to congregate in the flats of the north beach where they forage on needlefish and houndfish, which take refuge in the turtle grass. When the tide's low you'll find some monsters to 40 pounds about 5-miles south of the Marquesses Keys at Cosgrove Light. At times there will be hundreds of them at that location sitting motionless near the legs of the light tower. Somewhere in my photo archives I have a picture of one that tipped the scales at 51-pounds and took second place in the MET Tournament that year. It measured nearly 7-feet long and the teeth were enormous.

Cheers,

Gary 8)
Old 07-24-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Many years ago I used to dive beneath 7-Mile Bridge during slack tide and spearfish for yellowtail snapper among the pilings. I quickly learned that it was also one of the favored haunts of jewfish, many tipping the scales at more than 500 pounds. Most of the time they avoided divers like the plague, but there were times when they were very aggressive. It was rumored that one swallowed a diver in that area, and a mounted jewfish with a manikin of a diver sticking out of its mouth was displayed on a local tackle shop's wall.

Nice cuda photo, and I hope you released it. They're fun to catch, but can be quite dangerous to eat due to ciguatera toxicity. Ciguatera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of the largest barracuda I've seen anywhere in the world can be found from January through March at the Marquesses Keys, located about 25-miles west of Key West. The fish tend to congregate in the flats of the north beach where they forage on needlefish and houndfish, which take refuge in the turtle grass. When the tide's low you'll find some monsters to 40 pounds about 5-miles south of the Marquesses Keys at Cosgrove Light. At times there will be hundreds of them at that location sitting motionless near the legs of the light tower. Somewhere in my photo archives I have a picture of one that tipped the scales at 51-pounds and took second place in the MET Tournament that year. It measured nearly 7-feet long and the teeth were enormous.

Cheers,

Gary 8)
Oh yeah, would never eat Barracuda. Heard a lot of Cubans do though. We released him.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-24-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

BTW, the park rangers told us that they thought Auto could suck in a small child. I suspect he could, but not sure that he would. Still eye-opening, isn't it? And the Marqueasas are not alone in their Giant Barracudas. I think a few make their way to the Tortugas too!!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-24-2012
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

This is a shot of the Narwhal I was lucky enough to land a while ago. They are rare in these waters but occasionally we see them migrate northward right past Vancouver and on up my way toward the Arctic. Funny thing about Narwhal's...the unicorn like horn is hollow and very brittle so when you pull them in, it tends to break off as you can see in this photo. This is a baby Narwhal weighing in about 600 lbs. My camera seems to subtract about 570 lbs which can be frustrating when trying to share such great photos.

This is a Dogfish I got while jigging for Cod. Normally I don't keep dogfish but this was a perfect BBQ size so as you can see in this photo, I'm preparing this little puppy for the BBQ. No pun intended.

killarney_sailor likes this.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 07-24-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
This is a shot of the Narwhal I was lucky enough to land a while ago. They are rare in these waters but occasionally we see them migrate northward right past Vancouver and on up my way toward the Arctic. Funny thing about Narwhal's...the unicorn like horn is hollow and very brittle so when you pull them in, it tends to break off as you can see in this photo. This is a baby Narwhal weighing in about 600 lbs. My camera seems to subtract about 570 lbs which can be frustrating when trying to share such great photos.

This is a Dogfish I got while jigging for Cod. Normally I don't keep dogfish but this was a perfect BBQ size so as you can see in this photo, I'm preparing this little puppy for the BBQ. No pun intended.

Beautiful!! You must have the same camera I do!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-24-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

These are several years old, but I still do this once in a while.

How about a 90-pound yellowfin tuna taken on 20-pound test mono.

Caught this bluefin tuna at the Jack Spot off Ocean City, MD while fishing for bluefish with spinning tackle. Took about an hour to land.

My first white marlin, a 105-pounder caught offshore of Oyster, VA. Almost too big for this old man to handle, but back then I was younger and dumber.

No camera tricks with any of these! Loved the dogfish, though.

Gary
Old 07-25-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

No picture, but I caught a fish BEFORE my first cast this afternoon. I went to Walmart and bought a few new small lures. I tied one on, a 3" clear rubber swimbait, and with about a foot of line out I dragged it through the water to see how it looked. After I pulled it a foot or two I caught a little 8-9" baby barracuda!
justflie likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.