Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Have you ever hit a shipping container?

cq?
"In the cargo container world is there any serious discussion about"
Since they have no legal liability for flotsam, why would they waste the time of day discussing ways to lower their income and raise their expenses by refitting a couple of million cargo cubes?
Bottom line? Until and unless international law makes them liable for damages, and until and unless those damages cost more annually than refitting containers, nothing is goinjg to happen.
The same way that the US airlines only attend to safety issues when the cost of paying out death settlements surpasses the cost of the changes to prevent them. That's FAA-approved accounting with the value of the average death something like $3.2? $3.8? million dollars. If you can save one passenger-life per year, but it costs $4 million dollars to do that, you don't do it. Simple math.
These are businesses.
SloopJonB likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2012
quiet is as quiet does

CaptainQuiet is on a distinguished road

Scary photo. I could see how that could ruin your midnight sail. Did you try to open the doors? C'mon lets see some more photos.
Old 12-02-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuiet View Post
Scary photo. I could see how that could ruin your midnight sail. Did you try to open the doors? C'mon lets see some more photos.
Yes... Ask the OP for the promised article for more pixs
Old 12-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
cq?
"In the cargo container world is there any serious discussion about"
Since they have no legal liability for flotsam, why would they waste the time of day discussing ways to lower their income and raise their expenses by refitting a couple of million cargo cubes?
Bottom line? Until and unless international law makes them liable for damages, and until and unless those damages cost more annually than refitting containers, nothing is goinjg to happen.
The same way that the US airlines only attend to safety issues when the cost of paying out death settlements surpasses the cost of the changes to prevent them. That's FAA-approved accounting with the value of the average death something like $3.2? $3.8? million dollars. If you can save one passenger-life per year, but it costs $4 million dollars to do that, you don't do it. Simple math.
These are businesses.
That is what is known as Cost/Benefit analysis and all corporations have teams of actuaries and lawyers working on those kind of calculations all the time.

It ALWAYS comes down to $$$$. Concepts such as right, wrong, duty, morality etc. have absolutely nothing to do with corporate governance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-02-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That is what is known as Cost/Benefit analysis and all corporations have teams of actuaries and lawyers working on those kind of calculations all the time.

ce.
And there's been no known deaths from containers. Where when something falls from a plane it either coins someone on the head or sets off the string of events as the Coke bottle in The Gods Must Be Crazy. Which South African film if you have not seen you should beg borrow or steal.

It was from the 1980s? And I still thing of the scene with the Land Rover and the gates and the winch and the tree. Funny film.

Carl's Sail Calculator now at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
And there's been no known deaths from containers.
I wonder how many of those unexplained disappearances of small boats were for that very reason. We'll never know.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-03-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Was it foam lined? Empty?
Old 12-04-2012

richardb123 is on a distinguished road

Hee in BC we prefer to hit logs. One lightweight racer on the way back from the Vic-Maui a few years back hit a log and promptly sank.
Old 12-04-2012

richardb123 is on a distinguished road

My fear is one is just submerged below the surface. So much for "engineered" hulls with very thin walls and a grid to stiffen. They will puncture like a tire.
Old 12-04-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardb123 View Post
Hee in BC we prefer to hit logs. One lightweight racer on the way back from the Vic-Maui a few years back hit a log and promptly sank.
Yeah, the logs/deadheads here in the PNW are pretty brutal. I can't for the life of me understand how/why people have go-fast boats out on the sound going 60+

I'm real happy to have slowed down to 6 with a steel hull