Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Have you ever hit a shipping container?

Quote:
The shipping companies should be required to design shipping containers with hydrostatic flooding valves and enough ballast to ensure they sink promptly, but what is the likelyhood of our miniscule sailing lobby of ever getting that to happen?
I would imagine it is also a hazard to other smaller vessles that transit shipping lanes (or areas to the lee of shipping lanes): fishing boats, tour boats... And they are going much faster.
Old 07-26-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
The shipping companies should be required to design shipping containers with hydrostatic flooding valves and enough ballast to ensure they sink promptly, but what is the likelyhood of our miniscule sailing lobby of ever getting that to happen?
Hydrostatic valves add complexity and weight and GPS locators cost money, but IIRC, shipping containers are generally fitted with metallic (zinc?) plates designed to corrode galvanically on sustained contact with seawater to encourage them to sink if lost overboard - but it can take up to 24hrs for this to happen hence, until then, the thing is a semi-floating menace.

Remember that it isn't just the "miniscule sailing lobby" that lost containers affect - it's everybody. Hitting one of these things can do enough damage to another container ship to need repairs in dry dock - taking said ship off-line for days/weeks with the resultant loss in money for the shipping company.

Last edited by Classic30; 07-26-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

So... if shipping lanes are pretty well established and followed, and we have decades upon decades of shipping history on the seas... it's safe to assume the sea floor under these lanes are stacked fairly deep with containers?

I wonder if anyone has ever surveyed the sea floor under the major lanes and taken a container count or estimation.
Old 07-26-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
So... if shipping lanes are pretty well established and followed, and we have decades upon decades of shipping history on the seas... it's safe to assume the sea floor under these lanes are stacked fairly deep with containers?

I wonder if anyone has ever surveyed the sea floor under the major lanes and taken a container count or estimation.
Thar's a big ocean out there!

Seriously, if you're interested in actual facts about what containers do and don't do when washed overboard, Google "Rena scoop.nz" and read through the salvage reports over the last almost-year since that mixed-goods container ship went aground in NZ.

Let's just say that, a little like hitting an Emu at 100kph, stuff went everywhere..
chrisncate likes this.
Old 07-26-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post

Containers don't fall off ships all that often. If they did no one would ever get their stuff. And, as Hartley said, it's a big ocean. Besides, shipping lanes aren't exactly like freeway lanes; two ships going from San Francisco to Yokohoma might have tracks that diverge by tens or hundreds of miles, depending on the weather, other traffic, et cetera.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-26-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

That's my greatest fear

dick
Old 07-26-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I fuel up container ships for a living via tug and barge, and it takes 4 to sometimes 8 hours. And as I work the barge and pump's and hose and valves, the ship off loads and unloads the containers. right over my head. And I can tell you they do it in a hury, and those union long shoreman crawling all over the containers, ratcheting them in place, are not cautious, and don't seem to really care about what they are doing. I just completed my 200 ton master this year, and stability was the main subject matter. we were told that letting some top containers go in a big sea was a common occurance if the roll peroid or transverse meta center, was compromised. I'm doing a Mearsk ship in the morning. I'll ask one of the deck hands what the truth is.
casey1999 likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-27-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Nice Aaron, excellent real world info.
Old 07-27-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I've never hit a shipping container, and in fact I've never seen one floating in the shipping lanes in more than 6 decades plying the Atlantic's busiest shipping channels. I think, however, that I've encountered just about everything else. 55-gallon drums are not at all uncommon to see drifting with the currents. Smacked one at 4-a.m. about 10 years ago while traveling east of Washington Canyon. I was aboard a 40-foot Ocean and rigging lines for marlin fishing.

About 4 years ago I hit a railroad boxcar just above the Susquehanna Amtrac Bridge while motoring my 27 Catalina toward the main channel. Apparently, the boxcar had fallen off the railroad bridge during a wreck two decades earlier and it's about 4-feet beneath the surface at low tide. The impact caused the boat to heel over to nearly 30 degrees and took a quarter-size chunk out of the keel's leading edge. Sure got my attention.

The last time I went fishing offshore of Virginia we encountered a massive trash slick that stretched as far as the eye could see in both directions. It consisted mainly of plastic trash, but there were some things mixed with the plastics that could have inflicted some serious damage to the relatively thin hull of a fiberglass sailboat. One of the items I saw was a huge picnic table that was just beneath the surface. I'm confident it weighed at least 200 pounds and if struck on the corner it would have pierced a sailboat's hull.

Cheers,

Gary
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 07-27-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Containers don't fall off ships all that often. If they did no one would ever get their stuff. And, as Hartley said, it's a big ocean. Besides, shipping lanes aren't exactly like freeway lanes; two ships going from San Francisco to Yokohoma might have tracks that diverge by tens or hundreds of miles, depending on the weather, other traffic, et cetera.
Here's a container ( one year later)that was found in BC..some of you maybe interested in what was in side..

Shipping container with Harley Davidson, golf clubs and camping equipment inside found washed up on BC shore from Japanese Tsunami more than a year later | Mail Online

If and when the original poster finishes his story..some of you may change your mind about on what maybe lurking out there...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.