Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: Have you ever hit a shipping container?

To the OP There is a book I believe its called confessions of a long distance sailor. If I remember correctly he hit a container on the corner at hull speed on his Pacific Seacraft 31 1200 miles from shore. He fractured the glass but easily made it to a haul out facility for repairs. There is a difference in how boats are built I guess his was one of the better ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngeo View Post
I'm working on an article for a popular sailing magazine about lost shipping containers as a potential sea hazard.

As a result, HAVE ANY OF THIS FORUM'S MEMBERS EVER HIT, SEEN, OR ENCOUNTERED A FLOATING SHIPPING CONTAINER WHILE SAILING?

If so, I really want to hear your story! jg
What ever happened to this "article" or was this a ruse to collect email addresses?
Old 11-08-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road

Would be nice to know, but as I understand it, it can take months from finished article to published in mag.

My trainer writes articles for fitness mags and it takes 4/6 months from photoshoot to published piece...
Old 11-08-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Would be nice to know, but as I understand it, it can take months from finished article to published in mag.

My trainer writes articles for fitness mags and it takes 4/6 months from photoshoot to published piece...
Well aware of the dates as I have published pixs in Ocean Navigator. Look at the date of the original poster's request for info...
Old 11-08-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngeo View Post
I'm working on an article for a popular sailing magazine about lost shipping containers as a potential sea hazard.

As a result, HAVE ANY OF THIS FORUM'S MEMBERS EVER HIT, SEEN, OR ENCOUNTERED A FLOATING SHIPPING CONTAINER WHILE SAILING?

If so, I really want to hear your story! jg
You might want to look up Liz and Andy Copeland of Bagheera (Google). They banged into an awash container in the Med with their Beneteau First 38. Although the bow was pretty badly damaged, flooding was very limited and manageable because Andy had the forethought to have injected high density foam into the dead spaces abaft the stem under the anchor locker. They have a pretty interesting story.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-08-2012

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Heard a story of sailors that hit one off the coast of southern CA. It was floating with the top just below the surface of the water. On a calm enough sea, it didn't cause boils on the surface or any texture to look odd or stand out. They apparently hit it with a monohull, keelboat. Stopped dead, motored back and had the keel repaired.

I think I read somewhere that a 20' catamaran was screaming across to one of the channel islands and hit "something" that dissapeared right afterwards. It crushed the daggerboard on the leeward side and really damaged the hull. They suspected it was too hard to have been a whale, and assumed it must have been a container, but didn't see it.

My own dad claims to have hit one that sunk and was in shallow enough water that the bottom of the keel hit the top of the container, again stopped and the boat rounded up to the wind. Twisted a huge chunk of the keel, but it was repaired in a few days.
Old 11-08-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

I heard this is a huge issue now after Sandy...
Old 11-08-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I know, and my wife is like, "What's all this metal boat stuff you're talking about lately?" we already have a sail boat and 40 foot dive boat that keep us broke, Plus our skiff's and dingy's, kayaks. I'll get her to come around. Or, when we sell the dive boat, I'll just do it. This shipping container stuff might be the the nail.
If your wife needs to be talked into a steel boat, you can show her this photo that I like to call "bow bulb vs steel boat":

A couple years I was working with an ER doctor who mentioned that he abandoned ship into his liferaft after sinking 2 days east of Hawaii. I got up at 4:00am and brought him coffee at the end of his shift so I could hear his story.

Long, very good story made short; he had a well-found STEEL hulled boat and struck "something" in the night and began rapidly flooding. He also had an engine driven dewatering pump (not just a "T-fitting" on the impeller) and several electric bilge pumps. Dispite all that he sunk after an hour or more of trying to stay afloat.

Even with a steel boat and an engine driven bilge pump the sea can still get you..... He never saw what he hit but figured it had to be a container.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 11-09-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Mebbe I oughta build a boat outta a CONEX? It'd sail like a stone; but would hold up well to boat strikes :bites tongue: Would also decrease the odds of hitting a CONEX by orders of magnitude

Stumps, logs and debris scare the bejeezus outta me. Alla the crap floating down the local rivers and creeks ends up in the Bay , if not snagged along the way. Perhaps stock and emergency patch kit aboard??
Old 11-09-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I never worry about hitting logs anymore. Not since I fitted this red puppy to my bow. It also seems to frighten off those pesky "stand-on" vessels as well...

MedSailor
justflie likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.