Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Off to Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Actually we are going to South Africa to avoid the pirate waters further north. The advice from the naval forces patrolling the area is to stay south of 12°S when west of 78°E. We will stop at Christmas, Cocos-Keeling, Mauritius, Nossy Be in Madagascar, and then reach South Africa at Richards Bay in mid November - we hope.
Good-o... Of course you could always drop by Perth (Ilenart, et al) for a bit if you wanted a touch of civilisation mid-journey. You'll enjoy Cocos!

Quote:
We have moved out of the marina where we have been for two weeks and are now anchored at Fanny Bay along with about 90 other boats. There was a nice breeze this afternoon (sea breeze?) but nothing before or after.
..and here I thought you'd left already.

Anyways.. have a wonderful voyage!
Old 08-05-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Thought I had replied to this but it did not get posted it appears. We are now in Alor, Indonesia after two passages. First one to Kupang (think end of Bligh's famous small boat journey) was 470 miles and took 3 days and 4 hours - all downwind after the first 12 hours or so. Could not have been more relaxing or easier. The second one to Alor was about 135 miles and 31 hours which does not sound too bad but it was all a bit of PITA with the wind and currents shifting pretty much all the time. To top it off we had an impeller failure about 7 miles from the anchorage. There was about 4 knots of wind and we had about 2 knots of tidal current but that was going to change when the tide shifted within the next hour or so (if the tidal station was accurate). Also the engine was hot and changing an impeller on a Westerbeke 55 is not as easy as it might be (damned fiddly actually). Anyway we got a tow from a French boat that was passing - an advantage of a rally in a restricted area like this and got the impeller changed once anchored. It was an odd failure. All of the rubber vanes on the impeller were fine but the rubber part had separated from the metal sleeve inside so it was a catastrophic failure - went from working to not at one time. Not had that experience before.

One thing about cruising (or travelling) in a Moslem country, although this part of Indonesia has a large Christian population, is having the call to prayers 5 times each day (earliest is around 4 am). I don't know if they are recorded or someone is actually doing the chants live, but in Kupang they were very pleasant and relaxing. The person doing them had a very nice tenor voice. Last night in Alor there were three of them going (3 mosques) and they were quite unpleasant. Poor PA systems jacked up too high and the voices were not very good and the interactions nasty.
Old 08-05-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Bruce, Good to see you made it through OK other than the impellor. I've had one impellor go as you've described but funnily enough it only fell apart as I was taking it out for routine replacement.

btw ... do you have one of these ? If not you should though I dare say finding one in Indonesia may not be all that easy. From memory we got ours from the UK.

Welcome to Speedseal Safety Covers

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

Bruce, if you need something, email!
I havent asked him, but am pretty sure that between Andrew and I, one of us should be able to source it and post it over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Bruce, if you need something, email!
I havent asked him, but am pretty sure that between Andrew and I, one of us should be able to source it and post it over.
No need to ask. I'm buzzing off to the Syd Boat Show this afternoon, so I'll see if they have an Oz stockist yet.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-06-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the offers of help. The problem would not be helped by one of those quick on/off covers. The pump and impeller are just positioned in such a way that you cannot get at the half of the cover - nor have room to get out the impeller without taking off the drive belt and turning the water pump a bit. It is sort of like the impeller housing was positioned and then they decided to add some more goodies (like engine mount) to the gear.
Old 08-06-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the offers of help. The problem would not be helped by one of those quick on/off covers. The pump and impeller are just positioned in such a way that you cannot get at the half of the cover - nor have room to get out the impeller without taking off the drive belt and turning the water pump a bit. It is sort of like the impeller housing was positioned and then they decided to add some more goodies (like engine mount) to the gear.
Well that is a bummer. Yanmar on the other hand seem to design the placement of their water pumps around the arm length of an Orang-utang. It is mind boggling really. The two most likely things to go wrong on a diesel would be the impellor and/or the fuel system yet do they put those items close to hand ? Don't be silly, of course they don't.

ps - no Oz distributor for Speedseal it seems. Have to order direct from the UK.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.