SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Northerly passage on the other side of the Pacific in November? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/90167-northerly-passage-other-side-pacific-november.html)

un1que 07-26-2012 01:04 PM

Northerly passage on the other side of the Pacific in November?
 
Hello Everybody,

This is my first post on this site. I'm here because I stumbled upon a very interesting thread on this forum from 2008, where someone inquired about heading north in November from CA to OR. Many of you had first hand experience.

I’m contemplating a passage from Los Angles to Japan, commencing in October. I know what to expect from CA to HI, but can’t find too much info from HI to Japan. Have any of you done this? Does anybody know anything about this route, and what it would be like in November?

Any and all advise would be appreciated.


Thanks

tdw 07-26-2012 07:20 PM

Re: Northerly passage on the other side of the Pacific in November?
 
Hal and Margaret Roth did a circuit of the Pacific from California but not if my memory serves me well via Hawaii. I don't have the book with me but I'm thinking they went south via Marqueses maybe, across the Pacific and then up to Japan.

Not the route you want to do but it might be a good start.

aeventyr60 07-26-2012 11:46 PM

Re: Northerly passage on the other side of the Pacific in November?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by un1que (Post 901527)
Hello Everybody,

This is my first post on this site. I'm here because I stumbled upon a very interesting thread on this forum from 2008, where someone inquired about heading north in November from CA to OR. Many of you had first hand experience.

Here is that thread. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...ov-2008-a.html

Iím contemplating a passage from Los Angles to Japan, commencing in October. I know what to expect from CA to HI, but canít find too much info from HI to Japan. Have any of you done this? Does anybody know anything about this route, and what it would be like in November?

Any and all advise would be appreciated.


Thanks

Taking a good look at the Pilot Chart for the North Pacific would be a start.....

AdamLein 07-29-2012 06:10 PM

Re: Northerly passage on the other side of the Pacific in November?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 901846)
Taking a good look at the Pilot Chart for the North Pacific would be a start.....

Maritime Safety Information

un1que 07-31-2012 08:30 PM

Re: Northerly passage on the other side of the Pacific in November?
 
Naturally pilot charts are a must, until I posted on this site I had pilot charts for only Jan, and July. Thanks to AdamLein I now have the full set.

But, the purpose of this post is to hear stories and advise from people who has made the passage from Hawaii to Japan. Anybody?

tdw 08-01-2012 01:09 AM

Re: Northerly passage on the other side of the Pacific in November?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by un1que (Post 903664)
Naturally pilot charts are a must, until I posted on this site I had pilot charts for only Jan, and July. Thanks to AdamLein I now have the full set.

But, the purpose of this post is to hear stories and advise from people who has made the passage from Hawaii to Japan. Anybody?

I fear you are set upon the road less travelled ....


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012