Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Beach Cats in Rehab!

Looking good Mellow Yellow.

Thinking about the use of Gel Coat. My bilge looks as if someone took gel coat and painted it sometime in the far past. Now the coating is all pulling away and chipping. No real problem as I just took a shop vac and chipped all the lose and vaced it out. But I have concerns with using gel coat and getting good adhesion. The stuff in my bilge was white, very hard (like gel coat) and up to 1/8" thick. Maybe it was put on too thick as others had mentioned that could be a problem.

In any case did some deck glass work last week and wanted to get the job done, so I used Easy poxy (similar to Brightside). Painting was easy and job looks great. If it scratches, no big deal, I can sand and paint the deck in a couple days.
Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks fellas!

Look, at the end of the day this stuff is really not that hard...at least if you don't expect absolutely pro-perfect results. It seems a lot more daunting than it really is.

I'd never laid up fiberglass, I'd never repaired gelcoat cracks, I'd never painted a boat, I'd never done any of this stuff. And if I can do it, believe me, you can.

The other question is how my work will hold up. We'll see. But it ain't too bad for a newb.

I'll finish up the rudders/tiller this weekend and will then be ready to launch her. I'll put the pics of that (along with the inevitable BFS that will occcur) and the final tally of hours and dollars spent in the next week or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-05-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Thanks fellas!

Look, at the end of the day this stuff is really not that hard...at least if you don't expect absolutely pro-perfect results. It seems a lot more daunting than it really is.

I'd never laid up fiberglass, I'd never repaired gelcoat cracks, I'd never painted a boat, I'd never done any of this stuff. And if I can do it, believe me, you can.

The other question is how my work will hold up. We'll see. But it ain't too bad for a newb.

I'll finish up the rudders/tiller this weekend and will then be ready to launch her. I'll put the pics of that (along with the inevitable BFS that will occcur) and the final tally of hours and dollars spent in the next week or so.
I am sure it will last just fine. As long as surface prep is good (remove oil,wax, dust, sand) which I am sure you did, should be good to go. I would leave her in the hot sun for a while to harden up the paint- a week or two if you can stand not sailing her. These petroleum based paints always take longer to harden than what the directions say. If you can let the paint get good and hard will last a lot longer.
Old 09-05-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I am sure it will last just fine. As long as surface prep is good (remove oil,wax, dust, sand) which I am sure you did, should be good to go. I would leave her in the hot sun for a while to harden up the paint- a week or two if you can stand not sailing her. These petroleum based paints always take longer to harden than what the directions say. If you can let the paint get good and hard will last a lot longer.
Thanks for the tip, case. I'll leave it for another week (although we're dying to get out on the water).

I did notice that the spray-paint on the mast took FOREVER to really harden up.

Have you (or anyone else) "touched up" the Brightside paint? I've noticed that in areas where I tried to go back over something, it left a rough texture around the new paint. Can I polish that out?

Old 09-05-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

The PAINT looks good. Nice work, Smack.

Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Thanks for the tip, case. I'll leave it for another week (although we're dying to get out on the water).

I did notice that the spray-paint on the mast took FOREVER to really harden up.

Have you (or anyone else) "touched up" the Brightside paint? I've noticed that in areas where I tried to go back over something, it left a rough texture around the new paint. Can I polish that out?
Interesting. With the Easypoxy in called for priming (I used two coats of the Petit primer) then Petit called for two coats of the Easypoxy top coat. I was working in the hot hawaiian sun (probably should have put up a tarp but did not have one immediately available). I brushed on one top coat and it went on kind of heavy as the paint was evaporating very fast (had a nice breeze blowing with the sun). It actually was drying two fast making the paint go on really heavy. So I never put a second coat as I was afraid of getting what it appears you got. I am going to let the paint cure for 6 months then light sand and apply 2nd coat.

I think you should let the paint harden for 6 monts then sand out rough area, then apply second coat. I think what is happening is the second coats' solvents are reacting with the solvents (that have yet to evaporate) of the first coat and softening the paint. Unless you use a paint stripper (which is messy), sanding will just make more of a mess (paint to soft). Best to let is get good and hard then sand out imperfections- much easier to deal with.

Last edited by casey1999; 09-05-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Brightsides is easy to touch up. I h\ave found the key is to do it in the sahde, or the coolest part of the day, and use a 10%-15% thinned cup of paint and a foam brush with a light load- go back and forth, back and forth, and massage it in, if that makes any sense. Don't get panicky, let it flow out once the coverage is good and there are no bubbles. You can always fix it later, but you can't really fix it on the fly.

If you're challenged by brightside, thank neptune you didn't try gelcoat. now do you understand why amateurs paint?

Old 09-05-2012

Smack, you are going to have some fun with that boat. Find someone that knows how to single hand and sails a cat well to show you the basics. I used to sail a Prindle 16 and in 15 to 20 knot that are more fun than anything on the water (except for maybe a windsurfer in some waves). Rig with a righting line (we used a 20 foot line say 1" diameter or more with some knots, throw it over the high hull and hike out to flip it, but get your hand up on the upper hull to protect your head when she comes down.

Rig some hiking straps on each side if you have not done so. A place to put your feet to keep from sliding off the boat when you fly the hull.

Last edited by casey1999; 09-05-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Interesting. With the Easypoxy in called for priming (I used two coats of the Petit primer) then Petit called for two coats of the Easypoxy top coat. I was working in the hot hawaiian sun (probably should have put up a tarp but did not have one immediately available). I brushed on one top coat and it went on kind of heavy as the paint was evaporating very fast (had a nice breeze blowing with the sun). It actually was drying two fast making the paint go on really heavy. So I never put a second coat as I was afraid of getting what it appears you got. I am going to let the paint cure for 6 months then light sand and apply 2nd coat.

I think you should let the paint harden for 6 monts then sand out rough area, then apply second coat. I think what is happening is the second coats' solvents are reacting with the solvents (that have yet to evaporate) of the first coat and softening the paint. Unless you use a paint stripper (which is messy), sanding will just make more of a mess (paint to soft). Best to let is get good and hard then sand out imperfections- much easier to deal with.
Cool. Thanks dude.

Old 09-05-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
If you're challenged by brightside, thank neptune you didn't try gelcoat. now do you understand why amateurs paint?
Like I told sloop above - I'm still not sold on that argument. I went with paint in the end because my main objective is to do everything on this thing as cheaply as possible. It sounded like the paint was going to be quite a bit cheaper due to its supposed "better coverage"...but it ended up being $65 more than the gelcoat would have been (assuming 1 gallon would have covered the hulls). And that's because I found a crazy good deal on the paint. At retail it would have been almost double the price of the gelcoat. So that economic math didn't work so well. The paint was way more expensive. But I was already committed.

As I said, I don't think I could have gotten as nice a finish rolling the gelcoat as the paint gave me. So I'm happy about that.

But now it comes down to longevity and maintenance. If I ended up paying more and then have to do it all again in 3 years - it was a mistake in my book. I guess time will tell.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-05-2012 at 09:52 PM.