Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Beach Cats in Rehab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Lmy main objective is to do everything on this thing as cheaply as possible. I
Well, duh.

As explained to you in another thread, you can't compare a gallon of paint ot a gallon of gelcoat. to determine your costs- you have to compare effective coverage, and cost of prep.

In any event, before it gets lost in the discussion, I reiterate that the results look good, smack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Smack is about to get out of rehab.

And the boat looks great too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-05-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Smack is about to get out of rehab.

And the boat looks great too.
Thanks minne.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-13-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Okay - time for another installment on the rehab of this old slag.

The last significant job I had on the pre-splash list were the rudders. If you recall, the originals were complete crap...

The raise/lock/lower rigging was all gone, the rudders themselves were painted wood, and one of them had serious rot around the pivot bolt. I'm no CharlieCobra - so rebuilding those was out.

They were a Prindle type rudder and casting - so I started looking around online for used rudders and parts. There were a couple of choices of rudders only for $80+ each, and a couple of rudder/casting assemblies for quite a bit more. But nothing "rehab cheap".

So, I looked for Hobie options, thinking I could just use a different set up. Same thing. $200+ any way you go.

Finally, I started watching Craigslist. And some dude in Pensacola put up a steal. Full Solcat rudder assembly, rudders - AND 2 extra Hobie rudders...all for $50. The shipping was another $56...but $106 was a GREAT deal...especially since I can sell the two Hobie rudders, making a few bucks back on the transaction.

All the pieces were there, but they were in pretty rough shape. The dude had Bondo'd one of them...very poorly. So I sanded them down, faired them, then painted them and the castings, then figured out how to mount them on the Prindle style gudgeons...

You'll notice the creative use of PVC pipe as spacers...

The lockdown cables were in good shape, but I had to rig the raising lines. For this I used cheap 1/4" braided line. The trick was rigging it so I could lock the rudders in the upright position. So, back to the PVC.

I drilled a hole for the handle and knotted the line with about a 6" tail. This way I can roll the extra line around the handle when the rudder is up, then tie off the tail with a couple of half-hitches. Works perfectly.

Next came the cross-bar. This is painted metal conduit, with PVC cap fittings hammered in to finish the edge.

I used nylon washers between the tillers and crossbar to handle the back-and-forth, then added the tiller-extension connection in the center using a cheap conduit mount with nylon washers again.

The tiller extension is also conduit to which I'll add a handle of some sort.

Finally came the mast rest. It ain't pretty, but it works great...

If the weather holds, it's time to sail this slag this weekend! I'll let you know how the maiden voyage goes!

As for time and cost, here you go:

Costs $/Unit Sub-Total
Boat
Initial Purchase Price 1 $200 $200
Epoxy Resin/Hardner 1 $60 $60
Spray Paint 23 $4 $92
Fiberglass Cloth 2 $7 $14
Pinking Shears 1 $22 $22
West 407 Filler 1 $11 $11
Bolts/Toggles 2 $2 $4
Tramp Repair 1 $60 $60
Used Rudders (+shpg) 1 $106 $106
Paint (Brightside Qt + Shpg) 5 $36 $180
5/16" Line 4 $5 $20
1/4" Line 1 $5 $5
Rollers 4 $9 $36
Brushes 32 $1 $32
Acetone 2 $8 $16
Sander discs 1 $8 $8
Conduit 2 $2 $4
Sand paper 1 $4 $4
Jib Blocks 2 $13 $26

Trailer
U-Bolts 2 $1 $2
Hose 1 $6 $6
Wheel for Trailer 1 $38 $38
Lights for Trailer 1 $30 $30
Hitch for Trailer 1 $34 $34
Lug nut 0 $0 $0
Stand 1 $34 $34

TOTAL $1,044

Hours
Disassemble/Clean 6
Hull Repair/Prep 35
Hull Paint 37
Mast Paint 6
Rudders 12
Assemble 5

TOTAL 101

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-13-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Looking good Smackie.
I assume that was metal electrical conduit you used?
I hope you are going to use your beach cat on Lake Travis for your trials.
I'll recommend you hose your cat down with fresh water if you do take it out in the salty stuff. Heck, you are supposed to give your trailer a rinse down anyway, if it was in the salt.
Hope you have a blast. Fly a hull for me, eh?

PS - don't break anything as that will add to the hours and overall cost.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Way to go Smack! If you had any balls, you would challenge someone to a race on your maiden voyage, before you ever hoist a sail.

There, that should do it.
smackdaddy likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-13-2012
Last Man Standing

Okay. I'll do the GR course on our lake. The first entry on a multi. No one will catch me.

And of course I'll be talking smack to all the other boaters on the lake as usual.

Old 09-13-2012

Pegu club is on a distinguished road

Smack, that looks fn great, well done sir!

Hope you have a ball sailing with the youngins.

If you feel like it put up some pics of it out on the water.
Old 09-16-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

So what was your mental estimation ($ and hours) when you said: "Its a deal". And would you do it again? I ask this assuming you set a new GR record for Lake Travis.
ps. CC awaits.
Old 09-16-2012
Last Man Standing

Unfortunately - no sailing today. Non-stop rain and zero wind. The GR record will have to wait until next weekend.

cc - the "would you do it again" question is a tough one. On the one hand, I bought a fixer-upper so me and my young boys could have a project together. However, much of the work was a little too technical for their abilities at this point. So that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.

In all, I'd have to say I wouldn't do it again. I'd find a cat in good shape...ready to sail. If I spent a grand to buy it, I wouldn't be out any money. AND I'd have been sailing for those 100 hours I was working. I'm not a big fan of boat work. I much prefer the sailing.

It's the classic boat trap though. The $200 purchase price is much easier to justify than the $1,000. But either way, you're going to spend it.

All that said, we've got a very cool, very rare catamaran that is truly ours. We can't wait to take her out.