Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012

H2814D is on a distinguished road
Re: Beach Cats in Rehab!

Smackdaddy. If you went sailing this weekend I'm sure you may have discovered the tiller connection on the crossbar limited the movement of the tiller to a specific angle. This would cause grief while sailing. If you look at the connections on the Hobies, Prindles, etc. you'll notice they allow for an up and down (vertical) and a side to side rotational movement of the tiller against/along the crossbar. This movement is necessary while sailing, since you and your crew (if any) move fore and aft and side to side on the trampoline while sailing and when changing direction in the water (tacking, gybing). The angle of the tiller has to change when doing so or the angle will be either too high or too low to be comfortable for the "helmsman."

Additionally, when changing directions, you throw the tiller in the water behind the boat, since it has to clear the mainsheet and then grab it when you get to the other side of the trampoline. Your idea was good with the conduit clamp, but you will have to work on that idea to accomplish the proper connection.

Another good idea on a catamaran is to make sure almost every part of the boat you could possibly come into contact with is not sharp or abrasive to skin in any way. Cats have a tendency to blow over. That's part of the learning curve and the fun of a Cat...flying a hull and/or hiking out on a trapeze. When they go over, someone is always coming in contact with something on the boat. I've been on the trap and have slammed into the tiller crossbar, the shrouds, the front forestay, almost everything on it, with new scars to show from each encounter. Wrap, tape, and smooth out everything you can.

The boat looks great though. People pay quite a bit for what you have done and now you know why. Not easy and not everyone could do it (even though you say so). You should have a blast when you work out all the bugs, but it's still a boat. So even though you wanted to keep it on the cheap, you'll be paying for it forever anyway. :-)

By the way, if that is your picture, you look an awful lot like someone. I just can't remember who. :-)
Sail safe. HD.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks H. You're absolutely right about the pay to infinity issue. I'll soon be paying for a trapeze set-up etc. It will never end. There's actually a H16 on CL in our area for $950 (with trapeze, nice trailer, etc.). In retrospect...oof. BUT you dance with who ya brung. We'll have a blast.

Thanks for the tips on smoothing and taping stuff. I'll start working on that.

As for the tiller extension connector, I actually am using a smaller piece of conduit than the crossbar. It's drilled so that the bolt on the clamp runs through the extender. This gives us the up/down as well as the side-to-side (as opposed to clamping the conduit in the space beneath the bolt). I'm not saying it will work very well - but we'll see.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback, dude. And keep the tips coming!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-16-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Smack,
I would hold off on buying the trapeze. Sail her with none, you can still fly a hull and just use the hiking straps. When you get good go for the trapeze if you really want them. On my Prindle 16 it came with trapeze but I never used them. Always afarid of getting pitch poled and thrown into the rig while still on the trapeze. I felt I had more boat control and could fly the hull all day and go very fast with out the trapeze. Not too long ago a 14 year old in annapolis drown after getting tangled in trapeze. I would save your money until you think you need them (if ever). I would also were a good life vest, with a man overboard it is a huge help.

Last edited by casey1999; 09-17-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2012

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road

Great work, look forward to seeing photos of her in the water!

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 09-17-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Unfortunately - no sailing today. Non-stop rain and zero wind. The GR record will have to wait until next weekend.

cc - the "would you do it again" question is a tough one. On the one hand, I bought a fixer-upper so me and my young boys could have a project together. However, much of the work was a little too technical for their abilities at this point. So that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.

In all, I'd have to say I wouldn't do it again. I'd find a cat in good shape...ready to sail. If I spent a grand to buy it, I wouldn't be out any money. AND I'd have been sailing for those 100 hours I was working. I'm not a big fan of boat work. I much prefer the sailing.

It's the classic boat trap though. The $200 purchase price is much easier to justify than the $1,000. But either way, you're going to spend it.

All that said, we've got a very cool, very rare catamaran that is truly ours. We can't wait to take her out.
Thanks Smack,
Those are good lessons and underscore advice given here by some sages when newbies ask for boat buying recommendations.
Good Luck with your GR world record chase.
ps: The rain has been nice.
pps: CC awaits.
Old 09-17-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Nice job SmackDaddy.

I hear you on the cost + hours <> sail time if you'd bought in sailing condition, but you left out one important thing that you did in fact mention in the OP and elsewhere.

You know how to fix fiberglass, use epoxy, paint and even do a little redesign as needed. All essential to boat ownership - and learning to do it a community college or on a larger boat is costly. Having the boys learn patience and sanding is priceless.

Take it out to the lake on a non-windy day - and then tip it and practice righting it in water you can stand in. Remember when pointing that rudders are your lift - and if you slide forward your hull will balance and provide lift too - forward when into the wind, move aft when downwind. On a beam run - just hang on wherever you can.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 09-17-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Oh, and when you first right it after a flip- remember to release the main sheet FIRST. They sail faster than you can swim
Old 09-17-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Chuckles. I was hoping to get some tips from you dude!

You're right - the experience has been good for everyone. They are all excited and know the boat pretty well now. It's all good.

I'll get some pics of our first outing. Hopefully all upright.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-17-2012

Oh, not from me - I have very, very little experience on beach cats.
What I know my middle son taught me in one day on a H16 in the BVI.

I don't do dinghy sailing either. Wet is for the outside of the boat.
Old 09-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
........Take it out to the lake on a non-windy day - and then tip it and practice righting it in water you can stand in.....
If Smack does this, he will be forever banned from BFS, no matter what he attempts to do to redeem himself.

The first time he gets wet on this boat, he better be tossed into the sail and bounce a$$ over elbow into the face of the wave that knocked him over.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.