Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Beach Cats in Rehab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Smack, in light of your shakedown cruise, do you have any revisions to make?

Seriously though, sorry it turned out so bad after all that work. Looks like you've got it back in shape though. Learning experience, what?
Absolutely no revisions whatsoever! I had no trouble with the sailing - I just had trouble getting on the boat!

Once I was finally on it (after the humliating ride from that fine stinkpotter) - I sailed the hell out of that thing! AND flew a hull while it was sinking!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2012

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Smack, I was following all this at thebeachcats over summer, great work on the finished product- truly impressive from start to finish. She looks like a brand new boat from 10' away!

I think most beachcat sailors will sympathize with your fiasco (good name by the way), but believe me you will learn from every mistake on the catamaran and never make them again. After a dozen times sailing you'll feel like a pro and feel the boat as though it was a part of you, and be able to anticipate all the sail trim and adjustments to make in the weather. I just sold my P16 and have a big monohull. Although now that it's easier to get others to come out sailing, I miss that speed of 2 hulls.

Great work man! Give yourself a lot of credit.

Oh and to chime in from earlier, definitely wait on getting trap wires, of all the times I used them, it was only necessary (windy enough) just once.
Old 11-01-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Yo sonofa, I love the "Bite Me" float on your mast-top. Classic!

That R21 looks like a fun boat.

Old 11-01-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzy3985 View Post
Smack, I was following all this at thebeachcats over summer, great work on the finished product- truly impressive from start to finish. She looks like a brand new boat from 10' away!

I think most beachcat sailors will sympathize with your fiasco (good name by the way), but believe me you will learn from every mistake on the catamaran and never make them again. After a dozen times sailing you'll feel like a pro and feel the boat as though it was a part of you, and be able to anticipate all the sail trim and adjustments to make in the weather. I just sold my P16 and have a big monohull. Although now that it's easier to get others to come out sailing, I miss that speed of 2 hulls.

Great work man! Give yourself a lot of credit.

Oh and to chime in from earlier, definitely wait on getting trap wires, of all the times I used them, it was only necessary (windy enough) just once.
Hey, thanks Philzy! I have to say that the feel of the boat was really awesome. Flying the hull was just one of the most amazing feelings ever. I started to get a sense of the balance. Still lots to learn for sure, but I can't wait to get back out.

I'll take the advice and hold off on the traps.

Stay tuned for hull #2 - then...Fiasco 2.0!!!!

Old 11-01-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Well done smack. As a fixer of fiber glass , you're da man. I'd hate to have to do that with my 2inch yellow cedar.
Old 11-02-2012
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

Thanks Man. Yea the R21 was ahead of Its time, to me Its to bad I couldnt open up and rebuild these for easy traveling. For the normal person! Me im not normal so it does fit me. She is fast in light air and in 20 knots u can match the wind..

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 12-06-2012
Last Man Standing

Okay - both hulls are now repaired, painted, and READY FOR ROUND 2!!!!!

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL SHABANG!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-06-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2012
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

WOW that looks so GOOD like new!

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 12-06-2012
Last Man Standing

Thanks dude. It's actually been a lot of fun!

Old 12-06-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay - both hulls are now repaired, painted, and READY FOR ROUND 2!!!!!

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL SHABANG!

No S/S or brass skid plates this round?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.